Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC09399.JPG
    Burger_Meister.jpg
    seinfeld-tee-shirt.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 10 years ago

Yeah....mixed bag here. My wife could care less but is indifferent for the most part. Kids think it's a little out there but will play on rare occasion. Can't say I've really had too many comments one way or the other and I generally don't ever talk about the cost.

My Brother and his young son love them. My Brother-In-Law and his young son like them. My Dad loves them.

I have one childhood friend that likes them, the rest are "meh" at best.

On the plus side I have made some great new "pinhead" friends!

Funny when I was into competition pistol shooting all my friends thought that was cool. Same thing when I had motorcycle/s.........but pins?

I don't really care. I like it.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Nothing odder to the reaction I get when I tell people I'm a Brony.

Okay.....how many people had to Google that?

Not sure which is odder. That fact that the term exists, or the fact that you knew about it?

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from redmamanora:

If you tell people that you golf for relaxation, that look at you with envy. But if you tell them you play pinball, they look at you like you're nuts.

Just do both and you get to fall somewhere in the middle

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

Do you guys typically track how much money you burn on pins, mods, etc? Operators aside, do you have some type of mental cap on how much you're willing to devote to pinball or is the thought process entirely driven by availability of space and funds? At 8K a pop, but opportunity cost on having an even modestly-sized collection becomes non-trivial.
    Post edited by swf127 : Explained why I was asking..

I don't really track it no. I know a rough (mental) ballpark.....and that's all I care to know.

8k a pop.....what???

My collection averaged $2020 per pin and I probably paid too much.

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

People always tell me that all my hobbies are stupid, so I'm pretty hardened to the experience.
    Audiophile - insanely stupid
    Rocketry - really stupid
    Home Theater - really stupid
    Pinball/Arcade games - really stupid
    Photography - almost stupid
    Firearms - semi stupid
    When people ask "Who would spend $10,000 on a set of speakers?" I just say "Idiots"; because it's true.

Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay, that was creepy. How many others out there felt like this was THEIR own list??? I did.

Check everything except Rocketry. Well I'm way more into "Home Theater" and not so much an actual "Audiophile".

Instead of Rocketry I did a little Astrophotography (I took my avatar pic from my front yard). Also dabbled in Scuba Diving many years ago.....and would add Video Games.....and Watches to the list.

#214 10 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

You are another victim of propaganda. I don't fault you for your failure to think freely, but believe me when I tell you that copyright infringement is not stealing. If it was, they would have the same name. As it is, there is a large difference because when someone is stolen from they actually suffer a loss. When I bootleg a crappy song, game or movie, no one loses anything because if I had to buy it, I wouldn't. In fact, if I bootleg something I like, I may buy a legitimate copy. Of course this is of no importance in the argument.
    Suffice it to say that just because a commercial says something, that only makes it true to the mentally weak and naive. Sorry to sound insulting, but your ignorance and brainwashed comment forces me to point it out.
    Stealing is completely different from copyright infringement.

Just wanted to point out:

"In the U.S., copyright infringement is sometimes confronted via lawsuits in civil court, against alleged infringers directly, or against providers of services and software that support unauthorized copying. For example, major motion-picture corporation MGM Studios filed suit against P2P file-sharing services Grokster and Streamcast for their contributory role in copyright infringement.[18] In 2005, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of MGM, holding that such services could be held liable for copyright infringement since they functioned and, indeed, willfully marketed themselves as venues for acquiring copyrighted movies. The MGM v. Grokster case did not overturn the earlier Sony decision, but rather clouded the legal waters; future designers of software capable of being used for copyright infringement were warned."

"Punishment of copyright infringement varies case-by-case across countries. Convictions may include jail time and/or severe fines for each instance of copyright infringement. In the United States, willful copyright infringement carries a maximum penalty of $150,000 per instance."

Source - Wiki

Yes I realize these laws are often difficult if not impossible to enforce. That does not make it right to take others hard work. While I agree it's not technically "Theft" it's still morally wrong.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-reactions-to-i-bought-a-pinball-machine?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.