5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NewPinOwner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC09399.JPG
    Burger_Meister.jpg
    seinfeld-tee-shirt.png

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

..My wife says the following things like "What a waste of money" "I am going to bash these machines up and throw them in a landfill when you die".

If she's not joking, I'd probably get them out of the house before the division of property.

#202 5 years ago

"they still make those?"

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Way back when I bought my 1st machine I had to leave it at my parent's house for a week or so. My dad said 'NO WAY is that coming inside. Keep it in the garage, and it has to take up as little space as possible.' (Their garage is filled with movie equipment and such, so it wasn't like they were losing a car spot over it.)
    My mom wanted to play it, so I set it up. (Game is a FH, BTW) My dad didn't understand why I bought one, said it was a waste of money, etc....
    Until he played.
    Now my dad grew up extremely poor, so there simply was no money for pinball when he was young 50-60s), and never had the chance to really play one.
    So what happened is he finally played FH, and LOVED it. The second day it was there he spent 8 hours straight playing. No food, no breaks. Next day, almost the same thing. He had the garage door opened, and their neighbor heard the noise, and came over. He stayed until after midnight playing the game with my dad.
    Funny part is, the neighbor was on the way out the door to mail his taxes, and the date just happened to be April 15th. Well, he got so caught up playing, he never mailed the taxes out on time. They were late, and got hit with the late fee.
    The next weekend when I came to pick it up, my dad said it did not have to go, and he REALLY enjoyed playing the game.
    Now when they come over, he always heads straight for the game room. His current favorite is Earthshaker, but he is really looking forward to the bowler getting fixed.
    All my co-workers and employees know I collect and play, and they come over fairly regularly to play. When my boss found out, he wants to come over the next time he is in town.

Great Story!

#204 5 years ago

My fingers are getting numb from "thumbing up" so many posts! LOL Great stories. The things some people say before thinking before they open their mouths.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dommer:

"they still make those?"

I used to get that when I tried to sell the new Triumphs from 1999-2002. LOL

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

" Well, I don't feel guilty enough having to buy my wife a diamond ring to make up for the marital affair you had behind your wife's back (and that you're still texting the other woman even now), but I didn't want to lower my standards.

Dang!

I'v had about 50 affairs. I still see 6 of them. Mata Hari is my favorite though, she weighs less. She never answers my txts though.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Then I break out a game of "Settlers of Catan" so I can break the mold and get them liking board games.

I love that game! European board games are great! I have my wife and daughter hooked now.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

What she missed was her teenage down's syndrome son having an absoloute BLAST playing my DE Batman w/led's. When I told her how much fun he had (at a later date) she was sorry she missed it..

The penalty for having a closed mind. Sad.

#209 5 years ago

Could be she just needed a break from the kid during a party.

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tanner:

Some people were never young.

Thankfully some of us never really grow old.

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

My wife says the following things like "What a waste of money" "I am going to bash these machines up and throw them in a landfill when you die".

With this comment I would take up another hobby of feeding your wife as much fast-food as possible, while eating salads yourself.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

With this comment I would take up another hobby of feeding your wife as much fast-food as possible, while eating salads yourself.

It's okay I make fun of my wife's hobbies which include collecting Laurel Birch statues and crap like that. She also likes anything in the color pink. Hello Kitty adorns everything she buys. This coming from a 48 year old Japanese woman that I have been with for almost 20 years.

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

My fingers are getting numb from "thumbing up" so many posts! LOL Great stories. The things some people say before thinking before they open their mouths.

One should engage brain, before putting mouth in gear.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

You are another victim of propaganda. I don't fault you for your failure to think freely, but believe me when I tell you that copyright infringement is not stealing. If it was, they would have the same name. As it is, there is a large difference because when someone is stolen from they actually suffer a loss. When I bootleg a crappy song, game or movie, no one loses anything because if I had to buy it, I wouldn't. In fact, if I bootleg something I like, I may buy a legitimate copy. Of course this is of no importance in the argument.
    Suffice it to say that just because a commercial says something, that only makes it true to the mentally weak and naive. Sorry to sound insulting, but your ignorance and brainwashed comment forces me to point it out.
    Stealing is completely different from copyright infringement.

Just wanted to point out:

"In the U.S., copyright infringement is sometimes confronted via lawsuits in civil court, against alleged infringers directly, or against providers of services and software that support unauthorized copying. For example, major motion-picture corporation MGM Studios filed suit against P2P file-sharing services Grokster and Streamcast for their contributory role in copyright infringement.[18] In 2005, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of MGM, holding that such services could be held liable for copyright infringement since they functioned and, indeed, willfully marketed themselves as venues for acquiring copyrighted movies. The MGM v. Grokster case did not overturn the earlier Sony decision, but rather clouded the legal waters; future designers of software capable of being used for copyright infringement were warned."

"Punishment of copyright infringement varies case-by-case across countries. Convictions may include jail time and/or severe fines for each instance of copyright infringement. In the United States, willful copyright infringement carries a maximum penalty of $150,000 per instance."

Source - Wiki

Yes I realize these laws are often difficult if not impossible to enforce. That does not make it right to take others hard work. While I agree it's not technically "Theft" it's still morally wrong.

1 week later
    #215 5 years ago

Most of the people I deal with are in the hobby, so they just get it. A lot of the time a reaction comes from my house, if anything, because it's a huge old colonial. I quickly point out that I have 80 year old pipes and plenty of work to be done, feel free to lend a hand. The discussion quickly turns back to pinball.

#216 5 years ago

Man, I honestly am so happy to be back in this hobby again. It was a long 1.5 years, and reading all these responses made me realize how much I have missed being into pinball.

Back when I had 3-4 machines, people loved them. You could see people in their early 30's become a kid again. Something about it; you almost knew this might be the last time they "went back" and "became young" again - you know?

My wife's reactions have been the best. When I told her I was getting into pinball (she had known I loved pinball as a teen and played Virtual Pinball throughout 2002 - 2011), she was extremely supportive. She loved playing TFTC, and she even beat Crypt Jam before me - I still to this day haven't gotten it!

Now, with T3 arriving this Friday, you can feel the wheels kicking into gear again. We're moving into a new home on base property with an extra dedicated bedroom, and we're making it into a game room. Pins #3 and #4 are coming later this year. We had a great chance to meet WeirPinball on here, and that lil' trip sealed the deal.

Just yesterday when I asked her what Pin #3 should be between BSD, Corvette, and RFM... her answer: Metallica.

Wayne's World --> "God, I love this woman...!"

#217 5 years ago

I was mentioning my second game purchase and my best friend said, "I hate pinball". I responded, "you don't know pinball" and she said "oh yes I do!" Uhh okay then crazy lady.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from digitalbytes:

"I have done some stupid things, but nothing that stupid."

Interests and hobbies: (none)
    Works: In a cubicle somewhere
    Listens to: Nickelback
    Watches: "Dancing with the Stars," "Toddlers in Tiaras"

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It sounds like your friend is a funny guy, and I give him credit coming up with some good material on the spot.
    I think you are oversensitive because you indeed feel some guilt in your subconscious about what you have spent on a bunch of toys.
    Like they always say: " If you can't take a joke, keep your pants on in the locker room".

Yeah, even though everyone is thumb downing this comment, I actually agree. My friends and I clown each other all the time and we just laugh or try to comeback even better. Also, you can't tell on a forum the atmosphere, tone of voice, look on the face, etc.. of the friend.

So, my odd reaction experience was when my neighbor's wife asked my wife how much I had paid for a pin. The neighbor's wife responded to my wife, "I would never let my husband spend $2500 on a pinball machine". LOL if she only knew how much my others costs. Oh, and by the way, this lady frequently buys those $3000 purses and loves showing them off. I'm waiting for the perfect time to tell her I'd never let my wife buy a purse for $3K.

#220 5 years ago

I think what the guy said to him was insulting. It's one thing to clown and joke around with people you know, but too many times people feel at liberty to cross a line and insert more than just their personal opinions.
    He could have said ''wow, those are out of my price bracket, not for me'' but he referred to them as a stupid thing, and that he was stupid for doing it.

So, you just tuck that away in your head that the guy is a probably an A-hole, most likely with issues that may not appear surface, because normal people don't say such stupid things.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

He could have said ''wow, those are out of my price bracket, not for me'' but he referred to them as a stupid thing, and that he was stupid for doing it.

Sounds like jealousy to me.

Or it could be the old adage: "People fear what they do not understand." Most of the time people's defense to something they don't understand is to treat it with disdain.

If someone told me they owned a pinball machine (without me already having taken the plunge), man, I'd be so pumped and shower them with questions. I'd want to know how I could do it too!

It's one thing to rib back and forth and give your real friends a playful hard-time. It's a whole other thing to be a doooooooooooooooouuuche.

Some people just have to put others down to make up for their shortcomings - physical, emotional, mental, lack of belonging, self-worth, whatever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 32.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside