5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NewPinOwner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC09399.JPG
    Burger_Meister.jpg
    seinfeld-tee-shirt.png

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

Well, I saw my buddy recently and teased him about making me look bad for buying his wife a 4 1/2 ct. diamond for Christmas. He made a remark back to me stating "Well, if you quit blowing your money on those pinball machines you could buy your wife a diamond ring instead." ..

This is the kind of guy who never has enough money. You can guarantee he borrowed the money to buy that ring and you can guarantee he lives paycheck to paycheck and is behind on his mortgage.

His snarky comment is most likely because he is jealous that a peon like you is so much better with your money that you can acquire a collection that he would have to borrow more than he can get to compete with you. I see these losers all the time. If he made a million a year, he would still be broke.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

LOL!
    There is a sea somewhere missing it's hag.

Nice. I am going to have to use that one.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

Well, I don't feel guilty enough having to buy my wife a diamond ring to make up for the marital affair you had behind your wife's back (and that you're still texting the other woman even now), but I didn't want to lower my standards.

If my husband ever bought me a 4 carat diamond ring, I would probably murder him. First of all, I don't want to wear anything that expensive either. I'd lose it, or it would get stolen, or it just wouldn't be worth my nerves being shot all the time. Second, I'd probably assume he was having an affair. Something like that just screams that you're being bought off for some reason. And third... do you know how many pins that could buy?!?

Quoted from Frax:

Oh man, this reminds me..

I've had people do that when I am putting gas in my car and my husband is sitting in the car playing on his phone or whatever. "Wow, your man is a real loser to not get out and pump gas for you" or "Real women don't ever need to touch a gas nozzle" or some crap like that. My favorite was one day when I was by myself and had the top down, and the man in the car next to me said "Wow, either you did something nice or you are great in bed for your husband to buy you a car like that." (It's an older Z4, it's not like it is a Lambo.) Depending on my mood I either glare at them or sarcastically tell them off. It's my freaking car and my money. And I don't even let him drive these days because he has chronic migraines and is on a ton of meds right now and probably feels like crap.

I also remarked to negatively at Sams or PetsMart when I'm hauling out 5 or so 40-pound bags of dog food by myself. Yes, I am quite capable of being independent. No, I don't need your smartass comment. Sheesh.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You also only have one game for that $7000 too.
    (That's also why I've modded every game system I own.)

Thats true, but I personally think 1 - 7k pinball machine is cooler than a stack of xbox games. Also, 2 months after you've (not you personally) plunked down $50 for an xbox game, it's basically lost 90% of its value if you've beat it, gotten board with it, etc.., if it's online content, it's lost 100% of its value.

#155 5 years ago

I discussed my pinball / classic game hobby with my boss at a recent Board Meeting once and his response was "that's really neat, I wish I had a hobby, I don't have any hobbies. I bet you have the most popular house on the block"

Other people are not impressed and are not gamers, I guess its what you were exposed to as a kid, I bowled as a youth in a Saturday morning league when I was 9 till I was 14, so that would be 1978-79 to 1983-84 and the op who had the bowling alley account was awesome, always new games in there, I never came home with money in my pocket, it all went into the games.

#156 5 years ago

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have never had a negative comment. People might be indifferent at worst, but most who find out will have a few follow-up questions. A few have even bought their own game. Often someone will start telling stories of pins they remember from their youth and are elated to find out I know exactly what game they are talking about. I don't often volunteer the fact that I collect pins to people I don't know well, but word has a way of getting around. My wife and my family think it's neat and most of my good friends are huge supporters. When I have large parties, even the non-pinball peeps are gathered around joining in the fun. I could think of a million and one things that people spend more money on that don't seem nearly as wise, but I wouldn't insult them for it if it's adding enjoyment to their lives.

#157 5 years ago

Way back when I bought my 1st machine I had to leave it at my parent's house for a week or so. My dad said 'NO WAY is that coming inside. Keep it in the garage, and it has to take up as little space as possible.' (Their garage is filled with movie equipment and such, so it wasn't like they were losing a car spot over it.)

My mom wanted to play it, so I set it up. (Game is a FH, BTW) My dad didn't understand why I bought one, said it was a waste of money, etc....

Until he played.

Now my dad grew up extremely poor, so there simply was no money for pinball when he was young 50-60s), and never had the chance to really play one.

So what happened is he finally played FH, and LOVED it. The second day it was there he spent 8 hours straight playing. No food, no breaks. Next day, almost the same thing. He had the garage door opened, and their neighbor heard the noise, and came over. He stayed until after midnight playing the game with my dad.

Funny part is, the neighbor was on the way out the door to mail his taxes, and the date just happened to be April 15th. Well, he got so caught up playing, he never mailed the taxes out on time. They were late, and got hit with the late fee.

The next weekend when I came to pick it up, my dad said it did not have to go, and he REALLY enjoyed playing the game.

Now when they come over, he always heads straight for the game room. His current favorite is Earthshaker, but he is really looking forward to the bowler getting fixed.

All my co-workers and employees know I collect and play, and they come over fairly regularly to play. When my boss found out, he wants to come over the next time he is in town.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's not going to just measure itself.

Your's doesn't?

#159 5 years ago

If it does, I'm not telling.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Thats true, but I personally think 1 - 7k pinball machine is cooler than a stack of xbox games. Also, 2 months after you've (not you personally) plunked down $50 for an xbox game, it's basically lost 90% of its value if you've beat it, gotten board with it, etc.., if it's online content, it's lost 100% of its value.

Mod your Xbox and do the Gamestop "burn and return" on used games or download from Usenet off the xbox group.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay, that was creepy. How many others out there felt like this was THEIR own list??? I did.

All but rockets and guns. To each his own is my motto!

#162 5 years ago

'You bought a new ping pong machine?'

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from gatordad:

I bowled as a youth in a Saturday morning league when I was 9 till I was 14, so that would be 1978-79 to 1983-84 and the op who had the bowling alley account was awesome, always new games in there, I never came home with money in my pocket, it all went into the games.

Same here gatordad.

I get mixed reactions about this hobby. Twice, I've heard "Aren't those things expensive?"
    But most people are either cool with it or simply don't give a damn. Seems rare that anyone goes nuts about my games. Then again, I'm waiting for my game room to be finished before inviting over the folks that I know will do cartwheels.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

"it's cheaper than the strip bar, and I don't come home covered in glitter".

I'm using that!

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Mod your Xbox and do the Gamestop "burn and return" on used games or download from Usenet off the xbox group.

It's called "stealing".

#166 5 years ago

My favorites, "What are you going to do with those things?"…….Uhhhh play them…..

"I never would have figured you for a pinball guy"………implying very uncool, especially when it comes from younger gen

"Are you out of your f*cking mind?"

#167 5 years ago

I was talking to my mechanic this morning (about 60), telling him I'm taking a road trip tomorrow to do a trade with pinball machines. Expecting a weird look, his face lit up and he told me he owns one, a '70 Williams Rock n' Roll. He went on to tell me all about it, even drawing a picture of the pf layout and saying how he keeps it clean and plays it regularly.

Never know when you might make a new pinball friend just by mentioning it, of course that's rare.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

It's called "stealing".

It's actually not called "stealing". That is propaganda promoted by the entertainment industry. It's called "copyright infringement" and they are completely different. That's why they have different names.

#169 5 years ago

copyright infringement=stealing.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Or it could be he was backing up his legally purchased copy, then forgot to destroy the back up when he returned the original.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

You are another victim of propaganda. I don't fault you for your failure to think freely, but believe me when I tell you that copyright infringement is not stealing. If it was, they would have the same name. As it is, there is a large difference because when someone is stolen from they actually suffer a loss. When I bootleg a crappy song, game or movie, no one loses anything because if I had to buy it, I wouldn't. In fact, if I bootleg something I like, I may buy a legitimate copy. Of course this is of no importance in the argument.

Suffice it to say that just because a commercial says something, that only makes it true to the mentally weak and naive. Sorry to sound insulting, but your ignorance and brainwashed comment forces me to point it out.

Stealing is completely different from copyright infringement.

#172 5 years ago

Quoted from maddog14:Or it could be he was backing up his legally purchased copy, then forgot to destroy the back up when he returned the original.

or that...

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

You are another victim of propaganda. I don't fault you for your failure to think freely, but believe me when I tell you that copyright infringement is not stealing. If it was, they would have the same name. As it is, there is a large difference because when someone is stolen from they actually suffer a loss. When I bootleg a crappy song, game or movie, no one loses anything because if I had to buy it, I wouldn't. In fact, if I bootleg something I like, I may buy a legitimate copy. Of course this is of no importance in the argument.
    Suffice it to say that just because a commercial says something, that only makes it true to the mentally weak and naive. Sorry to sound insulting, but your ignorance and brainwashed comment forces me to point it out.
    Stealing is completely different from copyright infringement.

I actually completely comprehend all that thou spouteth. I have just learned that you like to impose your nonsense on others, so I gave you a gift.

#174 5 years ago

Sorry to derail this good thread. Carry on.

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Sorry to derail this good thread. Carry on.

I would say you "stole" the show

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

Or it could be he was backing up his legally purchased copy, then forgot to destroy the back up when he returned the original.

In fact, your argument is very legitimate. He bought the game, he backed up the game, he disposed of the original copy and kept his backup.

I'm very sorry that people cannot think freely when it comes to these things. In fact, it is perfectly legitimate to borrow copyrighted material from libraries and make copies for your own use. Just because a bunch of greedy RIAA members make up lies to make people feel guilty for not wanting to buy an album full of crap to get one good song doesn't mean we all need to prostrate ourselves and believe them. I think the success of itunes has proven my point to some degree.

What is illegal is to force a person to agree to a disclaimer once a shrink wrapped disk has been opened and is unreturnable. But those who equate copyright infringement with stealing would surely disagree.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I actually completely comprehend all that thou spouteth. I have just learned that you like to impose your nonsense on others, so I gave you a gift.

He will bring up slavery and sovereignty pretty soon.

#178 5 years ago

I have never found the opinions of brainwashed ignorami to add value to my life, but surely my "spoutings" add value to others' lives.

#179 5 years ago

It is definitely "the man" and a giant conspiracy.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

He will bring up slavery and sovereignty pretty soon.

In fact, your misunderstanding of the law proves you are a slave to the entities that tell you how to think. May your chains rest lightly upon your wrists.

#181 5 years ago

my bad....puts on aluminum foil hat shaped like a flying saucer....aaah, now it all makes sense.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

In fact, your misunderstanding of the law proves you are a slave to the entities that tell you how to think. May your chains rest lightly upon your wrists.

Did I call it or what?

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Did I call it or what?

You didn't call it. You asked for it.... and I kindly obliged.

#184 5 years ago

I was enjoying this thread, can we please get back OT?

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sabot68:

I was enjoying this thread, can we please get back OT?

I thought we were Off Topic.

#186 5 years ago

sorry ON TOPIC

#187 5 years ago

Some judge negatively. Some even rudely ask about how much I spend on this hobby. Some show curiosity and want to try it out.

Bottom line is: This is my chosen hobby and I love it. Their positive or negative opinion is of no concern to me.

#188 5 years ago

I don't tell people anymore after my buddy brought his cousin over a few years back. He asked me to show her me game room & when I did all she said was"how old are you?"she wouldn't even walk all the way in the door. I instantly got pissed & asked her go back to the living room. From that day on I don't talk about pinball unless asked about it.

#189 5 years ago

I don't tell people anymore after my buddy brought his cousin over a few years back. He asked me to show her me game room & when I did all she said was"how old are you?"she wouldn't even walk all the way in the door. I instantly got pissed & asked her go back to the living room. From that day on I don't talk about pinball unless asked about it.

#190 5 years ago

See, I never get negative reactions when I tell them what I do. Most are curious and impressed. You guys must hang out with a bunch of prudes and snobs.

#191 5 years ago

The year is 1998 and I get a royal bug up my craw to buy a pinball machine because I had just bought a copy of "Microsoft Pinball" I had played several EM's in people's basements, rec rooms and spare bedrooms growing up in Ohio during cold winters.
    I buy a collectors quality 1965 Bank-A-Ball and I set it up in my parents house in one of the spare bedrooms not being used. At this time I am 26 years old and had moved back in with my parents temporarily. My Dad flips out and gets all pissed off about it. For 3 or 4 months all I hear is "Why the F&*$# is there a pinball machine in my spare bedroom" Keep in mind this is a rather large 5000 sq ft home that my Dad never ever went upstairs anyways. Finally I am moving into my new apartment and I am moving down the stairs my Dad then says "Wow son that machine looks beautiful is that a machine from the '60s?" It turns out my Dad played a ton of pinball during the late 60's and early 70's while my parents went on dates and my Mom would just sit there and watch.

Fast forward to current day....
    My wife says the following things like "What a waste of money" "I am going to bash these machines up and throw them in a landfill when you die".

Most of my friends either have a mild interest or no interest. My youngest of friends (born in 1989) told me "Why don't you buy a more current pinball machine like these ones" He points to all the latest Stern machines. I turn and tell him "It is because I enjoy these old EM's the most and it is a bonus to me that they don't cost me 5-8k each"

Other hobbies I have....

European Board games.... "Nerd" or "You mean you guys don't play Risk or Stratego" I give them a big eye roll. Then I break out a game of "Settlers of Catan" so I can break the mold and get them liking board games.

Computers....1980's "Nerd" "Geek" "Can you fix my computer"
    1990-1994 "Nerd "Geek" "Can you fix my computer" "What is the internet" "You are doing what? talking to someone in Australia or someone international? That must cost a ton of money!"
    1995-Present..."Can you fix my computer" or "Wow did you build that??! "You spent 2 grand on that! Awesome! Can you build me one?" or the other computer enthusiast "Oh you don't have this part or that part so mine is better than yours" (almost like who has a bigger penis contest)

Movie collection... Late 80's-1997 "You spent how much on a Laser Disc" You spent 40-50 dollars for each one of these movies?? Are you Crazy??" (I had 1200 of them between the wife and I)
    1997-present I get zero comments on my vast collection of movies mostly on Blu Ray. DVDs and Blu Rays are so mainstream now.

My huge collection of Classic Rock CDs... "Why don't you just buy them in MP3 format?" "Why don't you own the original records?" "You mean you don't like (insert new band here) that (insert Classic Rock group here) are a bunch of dinosaurs" "That's nice my Grandpa / Dad likes those songs"

Nobody will understand my hobbies but I did not get into the hobbies I am into to please others. I am in the age group (early 40's) where I am not old enough to have gone to Woodstock to have enjoyed Classic Rock concerts when these bands were in their prime. So I get tired of people born 1959 and before telling me that I am a young whipper snapper or just a baby. On the other side of the coin I don't understand the generation born in the 1980's to present. I don't get into the fancy video games, gadgets and having the latest and greatest cell phone. I don't like most of the current crap they call music. I typically have nothing in common with people in their 20's and 30's. People in their 40's are a mixed bag because they all have kids and are married and have no time for friends outside of their family members or the close circle of friends they have known since Kindergarten.

sorry for the long post...

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

"Microsoft Pinball"

Are you talking about "Space Cadet" pinball that came with Windows or something else?

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Are you talking about "Space Cadet" pinball that came with Windows or something else?

In 1998 Microsoft put out a collection of Gottlieb tables and it was like 20-30 dollars. The games were rendered graphics of....
    1931 Baffle Ball, 1947 Humpty Dumpty, 1950 Knock Out, 1963 Slick Chick, 1975 Spirit of '76, 1982 Haunted House and 1992 Cue Ball Wizard. The graphics were great back then. Now they suck compared to games like Pinball Arcade and virtual pinball.

#194 5 years ago

My last two high school reunions ended up with an after party at my house. Nobody had a negative word, at least not to my face, about being able to play my collection.

As for regular sober life, when I explain to them that if you buy them right, they are an investment (after years of learning about it), they usually shut up. And it's true. It's fun and a money maker, sometimes at least. Even after I've learned what I'm doing in the pinball market, I've still bought games knowing I'm likely to break even because IT'S FUN. It's fun to fix them. It's fun to play them. They are fun to look at.

One of my coworkers collects dolls. I have not one bad word to say about it.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If it does, I'm not telling.

Obviously Vid doesn't use a pencil on his chest to prop a game up while putting on it's legs.

#196 5 years ago

There have been times that a pinball machine has come up in conversation and when I have said that I actually own not one but 14 machines, I get a lot of "No one has 14 pinball machines in their house!" They are shocked when I say that there are some collectors that have more than me. A lot more.

#197 5 years ago

Most seem it be curious and ask questions. But no matter what some think, everyone seems to play them when over at my house.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Obviously Vid doesn't use a pencil on his chest to prop a game up while putting on it's legs.

HAHA thanks for that reference. Glad I posted that...

#199 5 years ago

About 2yrs ago we had a Ney Years eve party at my house when I was just getting started in the hobby. One of my wifes friends refused to even wander downstairs to even look at what was going on. What she missed was her teenage down's syndrome son having an absoloute BLAST playing my DE Batman w/led's. When I told her how much fun he had (at a later date) she was sorry she missed it..

#200 5 years ago

I have heard people describe pinball as 'kinetic art'. That is the best way I can describe my interest in collecting and playing pinball.

I will say the kinectic art explanation to anyone who seems intelligent, and it usually turns into a really cool conversation where they reflect about their experience with pinball. My wife and I are almost done with a house remodel, which included a newly constructed game room and garage. I listened to stories from everyone involved in the project. One of the architects was born in Chicago while his dad worked for Gottlieb and he knew what the game looked like that his dad worked on. I found it for him on ipdb and showed him all of the details of the game, it meant a lot to him. Everyone over 50 years old has a pinball story and I have heard a lot of great stories, in the past year especially, from people that I never imagined would have touched a pinball machine.

I also don't talk about the cost, but if pressed, I will mention that the right machines will hold their value and in some cases go up substantially in value, like my AFM I purchased in 2003 for $2,200. In the past year I have purchased my first NIB machines, so I just leave those examples out of that conversation.

And for anyone who probably wouldn't 'get it', talk about sports, beer, etc... and don't bring up the fact that you bought a pinball machine. "Hey I bought a pinball machine, let's talk about it." Natural response would be, "Why the hell did you do that?" "Hey, I bought a motorcycle." Response, "You are an idiot, you are going to kill yourself!" "Hey, I bought a new set of golf clubs." "You are an idiot, it won't help your game!"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 15.95
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside