(Topic ID: 214800)

Odd problem with Paragon Sound Board (2518-32)

By toebes

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BadCircuit.png
#1 6 years ago

I'm going slowly insane with the sound on a Paragon that I have been bringing back to life. The first odd thing is that it has a 2518-32 instead of a 2518-50 sound board, so I am assuming that I might not get the right sounds, but for now I can live with that.

I've been following the great guide at http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html and replaced many of the capacitors on the board and have good voltages and an almost square wave out of the programmable frequency generator part 1 (2.2us at 5.03V). However, when I get to the Tone Trigger Generator things get a little wonky. I can see 4.87V on one side of C14, but when I look on the other side of it (as well as the base of the transistor) I see basically nothing which also means I don't see any signal coming out of the 555.

I've replaced all most of the capacitors on that side C14, C19, C20 as well as the 555 and Q2 (but I used a 2N2222 instead the 2N3904). I've verified that R19 and R20 are reading pretty close to 10KΩ.

Incidentally if I touch part of the board, I am picking up a radio station loud and strong, so I know that the amplifier portion of the board is working pretty good.

Any suggestions for what else I need to look at?

I also have to ask if I am wasting my time bringing the board back to life and should get a 2518-50 (or modern equivalent) because I won't have the right sound rom?

Thanks in advance!

BadCircuit.pngBadCircuit.png

#2 6 years ago

You can mod the -32 board to work with the -50 game. It is a bit hacky, but can be done. Find the missing jumpers and add them to the board. You will also cut out two parts (see notes in the later games schematics like Dolly). You have to change the PROM too which means burning a 82s123 or again modding the board to take a more common EPROM. If you don't do the changes some of the melodies, rhythm, and sustain will not be right.

Your circuit looks right for the -32 board. Check for solder splashes, wrong part stuffed, or something like that. Is the other side of C14 shorted to ground?

#3 6 years ago

Always hated those analog boards as they were so difficult to repair.
I see nvram.weebly.com is making a replacement, https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
I would be tempted to go with that than try and repair the original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-problem-with-paragon-sound-board-2518-32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.