(Topic ID: 36510)

Odd Problem; DE LW3 Beacon wont turn off!

By RonB

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by action76
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Bought a replacement beacon assembly, installed it, activated multi-ball and nothing. Go into adjustments menu to make sure beacon setting is on and while scrolling thru the menu the beacon starts working without making any adjustments. At first I thought "cool, it works!". But it wouldn't turn off. I turned the pin off and back on, played a game and it just keeps going (when power is on).

I go back into the menu and turn the "police light" setting OFF and it continues running.

Now I'm used to things NOT working, but here I have something that wont STOP working. Is this similar to a stuck-on coil? It's odd that it still runs after turning the setting off. Should I start with checking the transistor or is this a cpu problem? This light connects directly to the power supply (which is new) and the cpu.

Don't know if it matters but the old beacon was smashed off by a punk with a hockey stick on location, possible short?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

A couple thoughts.

Does a relay soldered to a small board get enabled to turn it on ?

I'd be sure it hasn't become magnetized, or the transistor that drives it isn't bad.

If the beacon is kind of direct drive from a transistor - check that next.

The beacon assembly - be sure it doesn't have anything wrong which started your problems.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A couple thoughts.
Does a relay soldered to a small board get enabled to turn it on ?
I'd be sure it hasn't become magnetized, or the transistor that drives it isn't bad.
If the beacon is kind of direct drive from a transistor - check that next.
The beacon assembly - be sure it doesn't have anything wrong which started your problems.
LTG : )

No relay or separate board. I just checked the transistor and it's reading good. The beacon assembly is from Pinball Toppers, it works as it should, the problem is it's getting constant power.
I guess I have to dig further upstream.
Thanks!

2 years later
#4 8 years ago

Did you ever get a fix for this? I just picked up a LW3 and mine is doing the same thing.

#5 8 years ago

I can't remember exactly what I did to get it working, but I did replace a few bad transistors on the cpu board. I would check there first.

1 year later
#6 7 years ago

Hey action76 , did you ever get your beacon to start behaving?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from BobTheShrew:

Hey action76 , did you ever get your beacon to start behaving?

Bob, Yes I did get it working like it is supposed to. I want to say I was an IC on the driver board that I had to replace that fixed the problem. If you want to know which one I will take a look at the boards when I get a chance and try to remember.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-problem-de-lw3-beacon-wont-turn-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.