Odd lamp situation on Creature

By brianhodgson

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Ok, im stumped. Large number of insert lamps out on my creature. For example in the KISS lights, I get "I" fine but K,S,S wont light? I dont even know where to start here.. They are all new LED. I feel like it 1 row or column were out I can trouble shoot that line. With so many random now working I dont know where to start. Anyone have experience with something like this? The list of lights out are below.

11-17 "PAID", left jet, right jet, bottom jet

21,23,24,25,26 K,S,S, 10 million, 20 million

35,36 Right search, right video

41-43 Lips. Left Search, Left Video

45-48 Combo Award, Parking OK, Move your car, Extra Ball, Extra Ball

54-57 Hotdog, Super jackpot, Jackpot, Rescue,

65,66,68 extra ball countdown, big millions, snack attack

71-78 CREATURE

81-84 FILM

Post edited by brianhodgson: wrong info

#2 9 years ago

To simplify whats out, I guess its all of the pcb board lamps, which exception of 1, which is the I in KISS... Im so confused.

#3 9 years ago

Did this happen right after you installed the led's? My first thought would be to change a few back to incandescent and see what happens.

#4 9 years ago

I had that thought also. Still nothing with regular 555's. How do I figure out the first lamp board the wires run to?

#5 9 years ago

Try reseating the ribbon cables on the CPU board.

#6 9 years ago

Try reseating the lamp board connects and the power drive board at 133,134,135 and 137,138.
Also go into order lamp test to see if a whole row or column is out.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, Ribbon cables didnt help. I went around and reseated the lamp boards and the connectors at the power driver board.. Nothing. Its not full rows or columns because the non-lamp board lights in each row/columns still work. Above the playfield, a few of the lights that are on the lamp board signs are out also but not all on each board, like 1 or 2 lamps on each board is out.. Makes no sense.

How do I determine the first lamp board in the chain? I assume if a connection is broken there they all wouldnt work? I could focus on one board if I could figure that out.

#8 9 years ago

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product&id_lang=1

This would help you narrow down if it's a driver board problem or something out in the playfield.
It sounds more like a driver board problem to me.
Any local guys you could borrow a driver board from for testing?

#9 9 years ago

Wouldnt ALL of the lamp board lights be out if it were on the driver board or what am I missing?

#10 9 years ago

Reflow solder on the lamp boards.

#11 9 years ago

So bit of an update. I swapped the working "I" light with a "S" light and now the "S" works and "I" doesnt.. So must be on the actual individual lamp sockets? How strange? Very strange they all must have a problem though?

#12 9 years ago

Well that was an easy fix happy you worked it out

#13 9 years ago

I guess... I would never have imagined 35 of 39 lamp sockets would just be bad/corroded? Thanks for helping..... Ill take a closer look and see if I can salvage the sockets or if I need to get new ones.

#14 9 years ago

When installing LEDs make sure the wires coming from the LED that bend around the plastic base are centered on the base so they make contact with the metal inside the socket when inserted. Sometimes LEDs come with the wires pushed too far to the inside or outside of the base and they don't make contact with the socket.

#15 9 years ago

I will check that also.. Thanks

#16 9 years ago

To summarize for future searchers. I was able to fiddle with the leds and the way they sit in the sockets to get a few more to work.. I have determined im just going to replace all the sockets. I think the cause is partially corroded sockets and also the tiny wire from the led's has no tension on it so it kinda slides around and often misses the connection inside the socket but im hoping new sockets will fix it. Thanks for all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
€ 24.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-lamp-situation-on-creature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.