(Topic ID: 38023)

J114 pics req? Odd hack: separate happ power supply in the cabinet...

By Mocean

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zhu808
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-01-27T15-42-55_35.jpg
2013-01-27T15-42-54_18.jpg
2013-01-27T15-42-55_31.jpg
2013-01-27T15-42-55_29.jpg
2013-01-27T15-42-55_23.jpg
2013-01-27T15-42-55_39.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 11 years ago

Well that's one way to have a stable 5V to the CPU and no reset.....

That looks like a JAMMA power supply and some have an adjustable 5V pot on them. The game likely had a reset issue and that was "the fix".

I have a nice Road Show and it was the one game I almost lost my mind fixing. I purchased my machine not working with a known reset issue. No problem. Nothing hacked up and the boards looked clean. In my case it was a combo of the thermistor in the power box, the infamous "Z" connector and standard bridges and caps.

The part that made me want to torch it is I had multiple solenoids firing randomly and I socketed and replaced U4 (I think) and figured I nailed it. Nope. I spent a LOT of time tracing wires and logic probing legs of chips until I found the real problem. There was a bridged data line that ran under U1 from a piece of small wire or solder blob that made intermittent contact.

Its easier for a bad component to burn up or not work at all and the random problems will drive you nuts. The fix was cheap but the time to catch it was a long one!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-hack-separate-happ-power-supply-in-the-cabinet?tu=cal50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.