(Topic ID: 233258)

Odd ColorDMD LCD issue on new Metallica Prem install. Any ideas?

By Rum-Z

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rum-Z
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190105_171927 (resized).jpg
20190105_171956 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello all,

I just installed a new ColorDMD LCD on my 2 month old Metallica Premium (with metal backbox), and ran into an odd issue that I wondered if anyone else encountered: When I fired up the ColorDMD for the first time, the background was bright green, not black. When I downloaded the Metallica Chroma.ROM file to the ColorDMD, I was hoping this would fix it, but it didn't. I now have a Metallica ColorDMD that's bright green, LOL.

I checked the ColorDMD website FAQ and troubleshooting lists, but didn't see anything dealing with a non-black background color on the LCD. I also sent Randy an e-mail yesterday (Saturday), and I'm sure he'll be most helpful in figuring this out, because as we all know Randy is a great guy making a great product and he's always helpful in dealing with any issues, but because it's the weekend, I figured I might not hear from Randy until Monday, so I figured I'd reach out to the Pinside crew in hopes I might be able to get to the bottom of this today (Sunday).

This is my 6th ColorDMD install on games in my collection, and the only one this issue has happened on. I have a ColorDMD LCD in my AC/DC Luci VE (with metal backbox) sitting right next to this Metallica, which I used as a template to install the ColorDMD in the Metallica, and I attempted to install the Metallica's ColorDMD exactly the same as the AC/DC, as the AC/DC ColorDMD worked flawlessly from the get go, but... I got green on the Metallica, LOL. Any ideas to try until I hear from Randy would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Jeff R.

20190105_171956 (resized).jpg20190105_171956 (resized).jpg20190105_171927 (resized).jpg20190105_171927 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Hi Jeff, I checked but did not receive your email.

The problem you're having is usually due to a poor cable connection between the controller board and the screen. Try turning power to the display OFF and reseat both ends of the screen cable. To remove the screen cable, pull up on the tape to release the pullbar and slide the connector horizontally out of the socket.

You can try wiping the ends with isopropyl alcohol before reinserting.

If that doesn't resolve it, try swapping the two ends of the cable (move screen connector to board, and board connector to screen). This will use different wires in the cable assembly and could resolve an issue with a single poor wire connection.

#3 5 years ago

Cleaning and swapping the ends of the cable seems to have done the trick! Now I've got glorious colored graphics on a black background. Thank you so much for checking Pinside! As always, you guys at ColorDMD rock!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-colordmd-lcd-issue-on-new-metallica-prem-install-any-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.