(Topic ID: 109798)

Odd 6 digit display issue

By PBSaltyKracker

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Silverball Mania...total restoration in progress. 1P display has missing digits...even when I swap out for a good display? Connectors all look pretty good. I read the Kulpula link...but maybe I am missing something. My first full restoration...help a brother out!

#2 9 years ago

Did you check the connector on the MPU board ? Upper left I believe. Have you checked the PinWiki site ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, looks okay...tight and all connectors seem wired fine. Looked at pinwiki...but most of those issue said "bad display". That is not my issue for sure.

#4 9 years ago

Bad ribbon cable?

Or bad driver ic. Or decoder on the circuit board.

Or bad traces off the ic.

#5 9 years ago

No ribbon cables in that game.
Swap U10 with U11.
Ring out with a meter the applicable pins from MPU J1 to the display.

#6 9 years ago

Swap u10 with u11? I am a bit of a novice...what are you saying.
And by the way, Ultimate board now...same gig, blank or two missing digits on 1P. May also have a wire issue...moving the wires gives me some flicker etc...

But again, explain u10/u11?

#7 9 years ago

Connectors, Connectors, Connectors! Early Bally SS pins suffer from bad connectors. They might seem OK and in good condition but they ARE NOT! Buy some replacement pins and re-pin those connectors. Start with the female connector at the troublesome display. Buy .156 and .100 pins in 100 count bags and start replacing.

#8 9 years ago

u10/u11 swap a no go.

on the connector repair. Some are two wire, some are one wire (per pin). Are 2x more prone to go out than 1x? Which pins controls the 3rd digit, 1st digit, etc...like a diagram somewhere?

#9 9 years ago

Get the schematic diagram at the IPDB. Get a good crimper and pins from GPE.
You cant tell by "looking" at a connector if it is OK or not.
Repin J1 for starters

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/odd-6-digit-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.