(Topic ID: 156281)

Oculus Rift VR + Virtual Pinball Cabinet = ?

By kpg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

It's awesome and I think it's a far better solution then a dedicated virtual cabinet.

I was surprised about the comments made of how this type of a setup could replace real pinball machines and impact prices. I think that's a bunch of BS. Even though this setup is cool it's still a simulation, you have to strap a headset to your face and the social aspect of the game is gone.

While the creator thinks this could replace real pinball I think it will do the opposite and result in more people buying real pins. There's a bunch of racing simulators out there, several that work in VR, yet it won't stop people from wanting real Mustangs, Cameron, etc.

I have a Rift on preorder and definitely plan to build something like this.

#27 8 years ago

Yup! I'm hoping to have mine by end of April. I also have an HTC Vive on preorder and have been debating which one to keep. Apparently the field of view is lower on the Rift compared to the Vive but I'm now reading a lot of conflicting reports. It does seem like the Rift has less of screen door affect then the Vive.

8 months later
    #39 7 years ago

Had a chance to finally play some Pinball FX2 tonight on my Oculus Rift. Playing VR pinball on the Rift is easily the best and most immersive virtual pinball setup I've tried to date. Not only are the tables in VR but when you play them the room around you is themed to the table and has it's own animations surrounding it. For example in one of the games that uses a submarine exploration theme you are basically playing the pinball machine inside an aquarium with fish and even a shark circling you (never blocks your vision to the game). Overall just awesome.

I'll be building one of these VR pinball cabinets as soon as I can.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oculus-rift-vr-virtual-pinball-cabinet?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.