(Topic ID: 156281)

Oculus Rift VR + Virtual Pinball Cabinet = ?

By kpg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Check this video out.

I am personally going to be receiving my Oculus Rift soon and had wondered about how VR pinball would work. Not that I bought it for that reason, mostly racing/flight/space sim games, but I have to admit this looks pretty impressive.

The guy in the video is a big pinball enthusiast and created a VR pinball "simulator". I have to admit it looks interesting enough to try one day, privately, because I would look stupid using it

For those who are impatient, gameplay starts around the 5:50 mark - but the explanation of how the guy made it is also interesting enough for a watch.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I wonder if it feels more natural? Skimmed the video without sound. The motion seems a bit jerky. Not a FPS issue, but smoothness of the head tracking. I think that would drive me nuts.

Oculus runs at 90 frame per second, and that video was maybe running at 30FPS, so much different than with a Rift in person. Plus, the Rift is in 3D - so that playfield will have actual 3D elements to it... something that cant be shown on YouTube. There literally is zero latency in the display and the head tracking is 1 and your eyes and brain cant discern any type of delay.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's awesome and I think it's a far better solution then a dedicated virtual cabinet.
    I was surprised about the comments made of how this type of a setup could replace real pinball machines and impact prices. I think that's a bunch of BS. Even though this setup is cool it's still a simulation, you have to strap a headset to your face and the social aspect of the game is gone.
    While the creator thinks this could replace real pinball I think it will do the opposite and result in more people buying real pins. There's a bunch of racing simulators out there, several that work in VR, yet it won't stop people from wanting the real deal.

Definitely not a replacement for the real deal, but it could be perfect for those with limited space and funds who like to scratch the pinball itch from time to time in a smaller home environment, like an apartment. It just steps up the virtual experience even more, but still has no effect on actually replacing pinball machines.

Just as racing games and flight sims coming to VR will significantly enhance the simulation aspect of those games, and make them more realistic- it will absolutely never replace actually driving a race car or flying an actual plane. It just makes for a better video game experience.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I was running the Dk2 with a 6970HD It worked most games that were available for VR, but games like iRacing and Elite Dangerous stuttered like crazy and were near unplayable. Elite Dangerous' immersion factor even with the issues was pretty freaking incredible.

Elite Dangerous is one game I am really looking forward to with the Rift. I have a pretty beefy machine (Fully watercooled i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz and a 980ti GPU) so it should handle it pretty well. The consumer version of the Rift is much better resolution-wise then the DK2 as well.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Could be a great tool for pinball designers to use. Maybe bring cost of real machines down in way of not producing as many white woods?

Damn good idea- design the playfield in Solidworks - and make changes, and easily play a virtualized version to see how it flows and plays. That way they could make hundreds of incremental changes without new whitewoods, just find a perfect design and playable VR model that they are happy with, then produce the prototype whitewood and see how it does in real life. Then just go from there. That could be a huge innovative piece of the design process which could result in better designed games.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup! I'm hoping to have mine by end of April. I also have an HTC Vive on preorder and have been debating which one to keep. Apparently the field of view is lower on the Rift compared to the Vive but I'm now reading a lot of conflicting reports. It does seem like the Rift has less of screen door affect then the Vive.

I'd love to hear your feedback once you have had the chance to try both! It was a tough decision to make, but I went with the Rift - although both seem great, each with their own pros and cons.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from NoMonkey:

Alright, for you Oculus Rift owners, shameless plug time! We have two launch titles on the store: Chronos and HeroBound: Spirit Champion. We've worked hard on these and would greatly appreciate your support!

As soon as I get mine I will definitely give them a try !!

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrhorseshoe:

Really enjoying Pinball FX VR on my DK2. Works fine except for the DMD being hard to read. I wish FarSight would get off their asses and release a Pinball Arcade VR game already.

What are you using for flipper controls? Keyboard or controller?

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Well, guess it'll be a while before I get a Rift, or any VR. Did the system check on my Current PC, and I failed three areas.
    Graphics Card:
    Have: NVidia GTX 570 x2
    Need: NVidia GTX 970
    Processor:
    Have: i7-3930K @3.2GHz
    Need: i5-4590 @??
    USB: Just tells me that my USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the Rift, but doesn't tell me why or what I need.
    I do have 32GB of memory and running 64bit Win10. So I meet or exceed there!
    So, I built my machine too powerful a year or two early. Will be a couple more years before I consider upgrading again.
    Edit. Just looked up benchmarks vs the CPU to what I have and the one that recommended, and mine is faster than what they say I need.

I am willing to bet that just putting in a GeForce 980ti GPU in your system and a USB 3.0 PCIe card should do the trick for you. The GPU is most important, and the 970 is the bare minimum you should use, and the 980ti would more then make up for where your machine lacks in the CPU area.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oculus-rift-vr-virtual-pinball-cabinet?tu=kpg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.