(Topic ID: 156281)

Oculus Rift VR + Virtual Pinball Cabinet = ?

By kpg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Check this video out.

I am personally going to be receiving my Oculus Rift soon and had wondered about how VR pinball would work. Not that I bought it for that reason, mostly racing/flight/space sim games, but I have to admit this looks pretty impressive.

The guy in the video is a big pinball enthusiast and created a VR pinball "simulator". I have to admit it looks interesting enough to try one day, privately, because I would look stupid using it

For those who are impatient, gameplay starts around the 5:50 mark - but the explanation of how the guy made it is also interesting enough for a watch.

#2 3 years ago

I wonder if it feels more natural? Skimmed the video without sound. The motion seems a bit jerky. Not a FPS issue, but smoothness of the head tracking. I think that would drive me nuts.

#3 3 years ago

Yeah, not sure. Norm is not a pinball player. I'd like to see real moves, even as simple as a drop-catch move. Physics look a little off on the video?

#4 3 years ago

It's awesome and I think it's a far better solution then a dedicated virtual cabinet.

I was surprised about the comments made of how this type of a setup could replace real pinball machines and impact prices. I think that's a bunch of BS. Even though this setup is cool it's still a simulation, you have to strap a headset to your face and the social aspect of the game is gone.

While the creator thinks this could replace real pinball I think it will do the opposite and result in more people buying real pins. There's a bunch of racing simulators out there, several that work in VR, yet it won't stop people from wanting real Mustangs, Cameron, etc.

I have a Rift on preorder and definitely plan to build something like this.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I wonder if it feels more natural? Skimmed the video without sound. The motion seems a bit jerky. Not a FPS issue, but smoothness of the head tracking. I think that would drive me nuts.

Oculus runs at 90 frame per second, and that video was maybe running at 30FPS, so much different than with a Rift in person. Plus, the Rift is in 3D - so that playfield will have actual 3D elements to it... something that cant be shown on YouTube. There literally is zero latency in the display and the head tracking is 1 and your eyes and brain cant discern any type of delay.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's awesome and I think it's a far better solution then a dedicated virtual cabinet.
    I was surprised about the comments made of how this type of a setup could replace real pinball machines and impact prices. I think that's a bunch of BS. Even though this setup is cool it's still a simulation, you have to strap a headset to your face and the social aspect of the game is gone.
    While the creator thinks this could replace real pinball I think it will do the opposite and result in more people buying real pins. There's a bunch of racing simulators out there, several that work in VR, yet it won't stop people from wanting the real deal.

Definitely not a replacement for the real deal, but it could be perfect for those with limited space and funds who like to scratch the pinball itch from time to time in a smaller home environment, like an apartment. It just steps up the virtual experience even more, but still has no effect on actually replacing pinball machines.

Just as racing games and flight sims coming to VR will significantly enhance the simulation aspect of those games, and make them more realistic- it will absolutely never replace actually driving a race car or flying an actual plane. It just makes for a better video game experience.

#7 3 years ago

That's true, huge difference in FPS between video and Oculus. I'd love to try it today. Still though, physics? Things like how the ball has a spin to it depending on how you hit physical objects? I wonder how well the software approximates that, how deep the code goes...

#8 3 years ago

He is playing Zen pinball/Pinball FX which has pretty decent physics. Not super realistic, but they are very predictable, which is what matters the most I guess.

#9 3 years ago

Archer pinball not yet on the virtual experience (I love Archer).

http://www.pinballfx.com/

3 tables included in the VR release: Mars, Secrets of the Deep and Epic Quest.

#10 3 years ago

I think is just a matter of time before most of them are included.

#11 3 years ago

Didn't Pinball Arcade say they were going to work with the Playstation VR?

#12 3 years ago

I think something like the Holo Lens that microsoft is working on or Google Glass would be awesome with pinball. You could have a real table with real targets but you could also have virtual interactions. This would be the best of Pin2k and "real" pinball

#13 3 years ago

There's a hack to get Pinball Arcade working with a Rift. I tried it a few months back, thought it was neat but it really needed official support to be viable. The resolution of the textures was really low so everything just looked like ass. This looks fantastic in comparison. May have to build something like this if they support the Vive.

#14 3 years ago

This is all pretty intriguing. I used to do quite bit of sim-racing. I was going to buy a rift as soon as it became available, but the new price put me off, as well as the amount of time I actually have to race.

Now, there are other players entering the market. It seems like certain games may offer support for only certain hardware. If that's true, it's probably best to wait to see who rises above the others. I'm a bit concerned that this may turn into an HD-DVD vs Bluray scenario.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I used to do quite bit of sim-racing. I was going to buy a rift as soon as it became available, but the new price put me off, as well as the amount of time I actually have to race.

Same here, I was bigtime into sim racing but pinball has taken over and I sold off most of my gear and repurposed my racing rig an built a camera rig for streaming out of it...lol

I do miss it though. I did try the Oculus DK2 with my rig before I broke it down and it really took some getting used to, but you really need a monster computer and the resolution really made it hard to see in the distance. In another 5 years it could be amazing. You don't know anybody that wants to buy a set of custom hydraulic pedals do you?

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I was going to buy a rift as soon as it became available, but the new price put me off

Was going to buy one as well, until I saw the minimum specs. I built my PC 3 years ago with gaming/video editing in mind. I have 2 video cards set up in SLI, BUT they are a few numbers shy of the recommended minimum video card. So I can't justify pulling out my $650 worth of video cards, to buy a single one at around $500, plus the cost of the Rift itself.

#17 3 years ago

I was running the Dk2 with a 6970HD It worked most games that were available for VR, but games like iRacing and Elite Dangerous stuttered like crazy and were near unplayable. Elite Dangerous' immersion factor even with the issues was pretty freaking incredible.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

You don't know anybody that wants to buy a set of custom hydraulic pedals do you?

No one off hand, sorry!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

I was running the Dk2 with a 6970HD It worked most games that were available for VR, but games like iRacing and Elite Dangerous stuttered like crazy and were near unplayable. Elite Dangerous' immersion factor even with the issues was pretty freaking incredible.

Elite Dangerous is one game I am really looking forward to with the Rift. I have a pretty beefy machine (Fully watercooled i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz and a 980ti GPU) so it should handle it pretty well. The consumer version of the Rift is much better resolution-wise then the DK2 as well.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Elite Dangerous is one game I am really looking forward to with the Rift. I have a pretty beefy machine (Fully watercooled i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz and a 980ti GPU) so it should handle it pretty well. The consumer version of the Rift is much better resolution-wise then the DK2 as well.

Yes, that would be a pretty sweet setup. I plan on building a new gaming PC this fall or early next year and when that happens I will probably pick up a VR headset of some sort.

#21 3 years ago

Could be a great tool for pinball designers to use. Maybe bring cost of real machines down in way of not producing as many white woods?

#22 3 years ago

what to think about pinball design development in virtual reality.. construction of 3D objects working on ur game

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Could be a great tool for pinball designers to use. Maybe bring cost of real machines down in way of not producing as many white woods?

Damn good idea- design the playfield in Solidworks - and make changes, and easily play a virtualized version to see how it flows and plays. That way they could make hundreds of incremental changes without new whitewoods, just find a perfect design and playable VR model that they are happy with, then produce the prototype whitewood and see how it does in real life. Then just go from there. That could be a huge innovative piece of the design process which could result in better designed games.

#24 3 years ago

I'm sure they have thought of this already. If nothing else you would think it would increase profits and slow games to be placed into production faster

#25 3 years ago

If I where a Pinball manufacturer I would be all over this. Hopefully they don't say bye bye to real machines and only produce vr games! Lol

#26 3 years ago

Head tracking with the rift is perfect.. no stuttering or lag issues.

#27 3 years ago

Yup! I'm hoping to have mine by end of April. I also have an HTC Vive on preorder and have been debating which one to keep. Apparently the field of view is lower on the Rift compared to the Vive but I'm now reading a lot of conflicting reports. It does seem like the Rift has less of screen door affect then the Vive.

#28 3 years ago

Vive is heavier as well.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup! I'm hoping to have mine by end of April. I also have an HTC Vive on preorder and have been debating which one to keep. Apparently the field of view is lower on the Rift compared to the Vive but I'm now reading a lot of conflicting reports. It does seem like the Rift has less of screen door affect then the Vive.

I'd love to hear your feedback once you have had the chance to try both! It was a tough decision to make, but I went with the Rift - although both seem great, each with their own pros and cons.

#30 3 years ago

Alright, for you Oculus Rift owners, shameless plug time! We have two launch titles on the store: Chronos and HeroBound: Spirit Champion. We've worked hard on these and would greatly appreciate your support!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from NoMonkey:

Alright, for you Oculus Rift owners, shameless plug time! We have two launch titles on the store: Chronos and HeroBound: Spirit Champion. We've worked hard on these and would greatly appreciate your support!

As soon as I get mine I will definitely give them a try !!

#32 3 years ago

Really enjoying Pinball FX VR on my DK2. Works fine except for the DMD being hard to read. I wish FarSight would get off their asses and release a Pinball Arcade VR game already.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrhorseshoe:

Really enjoying Pinball FX VR on my DK2. Works fine except for the DMD being hard to read. I wish FarSight would get off their asses and release a Pinball Arcade VR game already.

What are you using for flipper controls? Keyboard or controller?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

What are you using for flipper controls? Keyboard or controller?

Xbox 360 controller. No discernible lag.

#35 3 years ago

Well, guess it'll be a while before I get a Rift, or any VR. Did the system check on my Current PC, and I failed three areas.

Graphics Card:
    Have: NVidia GTX 570 x2
    Need: NVidia GTX 970

Processor:
    Have: i7-3930K @3.2GHz
    Need: i5-4590 @??

USB: Just tells me that my USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the Rift, but doesn't tell me why or what I need.

I do have 32GB of memory and running 64bit Win10. So I meet or exceed there!

So, I built my machine too powerful a year or two early. Will be a couple more years before I consider upgrading again.

Edit. Just looked up benchmarks vs the CPU to what I have and the one that recommended, and mine is faster than what they say I need.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Well, guess it'll be a while before I get a Rift, or any VR. Did the system check on my Current PC, and I failed three areas.
    Graphics Card:
    Have: NVidia GTX 570 x2
    Need: NVidia GTX 970
    Processor:
    Have: i7-3930K @3.2GHz
    Need: i5-4590 @??
    USB: Just tells me that my USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the Rift, but doesn't tell me why or what I need.
    I do have 32GB of memory and running 64bit Win10. So I meet or exceed there!
    So, I built my machine too powerful a year or two early. Will be a couple more years before I consider upgrading again.
    Edit. Just looked up benchmarks vs the CPU to what I have and the one that recommended, and mine is faster than what they say I need.

I am willing to bet that just putting in a GeForce 980ti GPU in your system and a USB 3.0 PCIe card should do the trick for you. The GPU is most important, and the 970 is the bare minimum you should use, and the 980ti would more then make up for where your machine lacks in the CPU area.

#37 3 years ago

shameless plug may I have the link to sight to purchase helmet? I have interest just unsure of cost. I have a hyper cab I can test it on and if I like it rewire xbox controller to pedestal.

2 months later
    #38 3 years ago

There was an article about this, including building instructions on makezine a few days back. see http://makezine.com/projects/shake-rattle-and-tilt-vr-pinball/

5 months later
    #39 3 years ago

Had a chance to finally play some Pinball FX2 tonight on my Oculus Rift. Playing VR pinball on the Rift is easily the best and most immersive virtual pinball setup I've tried to date. Not only are the tables in VR but when you play them the room around you is themed to the table and has it's own animations surrounding it. For example in one of the games that uses a submarine exploration theme you are basically playing the pinball machine inside an aquarium with fish and even a shark circling you (never blocks your vision to the game). Overall just awesome.

I'll be building one of these VR pinball cabinets as soon as I can.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside