Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gwarrior
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So at the spur of the moment we went to Ocean City boardwalk yesterday. I spent some time in Jillys Arcade.
There were about 16 late model pinballs there. All games were 25 cent play! These games are pretty beat, but where else can you play for 25 cents a game?

I don't remember all of the titles, but I do remember:
Family guy
Medieval Madness
South Park (broken)
Monopoly
Stern Spiderman
Transformers
Stern Star Trek
Iron Man

hopefully someone else can fill in the missing titles for those interested. I was surprised WOZ wasn't there.. it was there last time I went...

#2 9 years ago

Its also open 24 hours in the summer!

#3 9 years ago

That was one of the places back in the late 80s to early 90s where I first fell in love with pinball... and other things as well

#4 9 years ago

It's a shame the games are beat to sh@t.

#5 9 years ago

Played at Jilly's every summer in the late 70's early 80's as a kid in SJ. Still take my kids up there every summer from Atlanta and hang out playing pinball on the boardwalk. It's an experience that every kid should get to enjoy! ...even if they do tend to gravitate over to the video games when I'm not looking...

#6 9 years ago

There's also a MB, TSPP, JY, ToM, IJ4.

Last summer they had a WoZ, but got rid of it in Sept.

#7 9 years ago

Is it just me, or does the floor in there slant to the South?

The pins are in pretty bad condition. But a good collection nonetheless. I go there sometimes with the family, but my wife won't let me play more than a couple games before she starts nagging me about needing to leave...

#8 9 years ago

Awesome! I will check it out for sure. I was super bummed to head to Lombard IL last week and see all the machines in Enchanted Castle gone. Us Pinsiders need to support these places when possible to keep them in existence. I just wish there was more of us!

#9 9 years ago

The monster bash hole could fit a tennis ball. I spoke to the owner last summer....he was very upset with woz and said he was going to get rid of it. It had a lot of issues...I had a thread about it and jillies in general. Great owner and nice to see pinball in the wild but I do wish they were kept better....

#11 9 years ago

I live very close to this arcade, was just there last week with my kids for the first time this season. I too grew up playing at Jillys, but it seems every year the pins get less cared for, or maybe just never get cared for and progressively get worse. Its a shame really, the place is a great location and has potential to be so much more than it is. I was really turned off by the games this past week, the rubber was shot on most of them, and Scott is not exaggerating about the monster bash hole. It doesn't really matter IMO if its only .25 to play. Its frustrating to play on such poor condition machines even for casual players, and that translates to people not wanting to come back to play more. Keeping these places alive requires TLC on the machines by the operator, and honestly it does not really take much. Hopefully they get it together, because I would definitely spend more time here if the games were shopped once in a while. Most of these places have gravitated towards the redemption machines and the large format video games, so it is nice to see some places keeping the pins on location even if just for posterity and not profit.
I didn't walk down far enough to find out if it was still there, but Powerhouse arcade on the other side of the boardwalk closer to Gillian's Wonderland used to have a small line up of pins, one EM was in there, and was being operated in the same arcade from when his parents purchased it new. He had a TZ, Phantom of the Opera, cant remember what else. His games were in much better condition than Jilly's last time I was in there.

#12 9 years ago

I experienced this at a California boardwalk arcade last year. Stellar lineup, zero maintenance, thus no motivation to ever come back.
25 cents a game? Raise the prices, keep up the maintenance.

New games and A-listers are a deal at 3 credits for $2.

#13 9 years ago

I was there this weekend with my son playing. Yes, some of titles are thrashed, some have 3rd flippers that don't work, some the ball gets stuck constantly, but for 25 cents a game, it sorta makes up for it. I own a condo at 10th and Ocean, was seriously considering contacting the owner and telling him if he provides the parts, I'll fix them in exchange for free plays on them. I rent for the summer season, so I'm only down every so often, so it wouldn't cost much on his part.
The arcade down by Wonderland has I think 6 pins, SM, IJ4, Batman, and can't remember the rest. They are in much, much better condition but are 50 cents a game.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

I was there this weekend with my son playing. Yes, some of titles are thrashed, some have 3rd flippers that don't work, some the ball gets stuck constantly, but for 25 cents a game, it sorta makes up for it. I own a condo at 10th and Ocean, was seriously considering contacting the owner and telling him if he provides the parts, I'll fix them in exchange for free plays on them. I rent for the summer season, so I'm only down every so often, so it wouldn't cost much on his part.
The arcade down by Wonderland has I think 6 pins, SM, IJ4, Batman, and can't remember the rest. They are in much, much better condition but are 50 cents a game.

I would pay a dollar a game at Jilly's if someone would fix them up.

#15 9 years ago

Owners are nice and I've had nice email conversations with them. The pinball machines are owned and routed by the owner's father. I've been told he's extremely sentimental and won't part with anything.

#16 9 years ago

Agree the pins are in bad shape, hope someone can get in there an clean them up as it really is a nice collection of pins.

They had WOZ in there last summer, it was upfront, not with the other pins.... that was basically out of the box new and it played great while I was there. And I think they only had that priced at a quarter of play the day I was there.

1 month later
#17 9 years ago

Update on Jilly's
Was there Friday and seems like only new game this year is Star Trek, and in great shape!! Everything worked and was really clean, unfortunately can't say the same about the rest of the machines.
Played Iron Man but right flipper really weak. Transformers played but extremely dirty playfield. Spent most of my time playing Star trek. No WOZ

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Update on Jilly's
Was there Friday and seems like only new game this year is Star Trek, and in great shape!! Everything worked and was really clean, unfortunately can't say the same about the rest of the machines.
Played Iron Man but right flipper really weak. Transformers played but extremely dirty playfield. Spent most of my time playing Star Trek. No WOZ

Great selection of games, but they are always in awful shape.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago

Will be there next week. I want to play the MB with the lemon sized VUK hole.....

#20 9 years ago

I was there this weekend and it's my last visit to Jillys. Even at 25 cent play it wasn't fun (except Star Trek). Playing a beat crummy game that just about works is disappointing and not fun.

I walked a few blocks down the boardwalk to another arcade and they had games in much better condition. This other place had:
Spiderman
Family Guy
Sega Star Trek Trilogy
IJ4
and a couple of other pinballs.

#21 9 years ago

Jillys! Played a lot of pinball in the 80's and 90's there. Shame to hear the games are beat to shit now. I don't remember them being like that back then. That's where I fell in love with Funhouse.

#22 9 years ago

Also the arcade in Avalon when I was at the beach.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Also the arcade in Avalon when I was at the beach.

Pretty sure there's no pinball anywhere in Avalon anymore.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

Yeah, that place was 1/2 redemption games when I was young. So with the trends, it probably phased out pins completely. Got a lot of Mortal Kombat action on in there though.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

You're referring to Hollywood Arcade.

The pins there are pretty nice. I was last there in early June and they also had a Star Wars Trilogy and TSPP.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#27 9 years ago

I'm a drumline instructor for the Interboro High School marching band. We do the baby parade every year. Jilly's is the place to go for pinball, but I prefer the Hollywood arcade just for the overall gaming selection. Last time I was there, Jilly's had their South Park torn apart and Monopoly had pieces laying on the playfield.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Zippee:

gwarrior: your wife sounds like a beeyatch, you need to leave her

Dude. Only I get to complain about my wife.

#29 9 years ago

I've been going to Ocean City and playing pinball at Jilly's for years. When I was there last summer, the condition of the pins was simply dreadful. I blame arcades and operators such as Jilly's for the decline of pinball with younger generations. Who wants to play a game with a dirt black playfields, weak flippers and games with half of the bulbs out? Not me.

#30 9 years ago

Been here a week and have not played one game. Star Trek has been off a couple days now dont know what happened. Games are beat but get played. I guess for 25 cents everyone gives them atleast one play. They are for the boardwalk groud not pinheads. Its ashame because they are open 24hrs and this is the first year I didnt grab a few and hit the arcade around 1am. I just didnt feel like playing broken pins. I don'\t play them at home when a switch is out......

#31 9 years ago

Hollywood Arcade, folks!! Their pins are pretty nice, even if a game on one is $.50.

I don't get the appeal of $.25 at Jilly's if the pins there are blown to smithereens.

#32 9 years ago

I played spiderman at hollywood 2 nights ago. Works great and set to give games away like candy. I barely know the rules and won 3 free games without matching once. Half the games at Jilly's weren't even powered up and most had playfield wax applied that had never been wiped off. So sad to see MM and MB sitting there looking so pathetic.

#33 9 years ago

Id like to make it out that way someday. Boardwalk and pinball seem like a winner to me

2 weeks later
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

There's an AF and a TZ at the Arcade in Stone Harbor. Both need some work tho.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

There's an AF and a TZ at the Arcade in Stone Harbor. Both need some work tho.

Thank you sir! I see you updated the pin map as well. I'll be headed out there in the near future. (Hopefully they remain open after tourist season ends...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ocean-city-nj-boardwalk-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.