You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2568 (resized).JPG
IMG_2567 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi guys,

So my LAH has the odd time where the left flipper hardly goes up at all and sometimes the ball will knock it down half way if it's held up (ripper shot does this). I've had a look at the mechanisms and coils and noticed that the eos wires on each flipper are soldered together on one terminal. I think I read somewhere that people put a single winding coil in and then the eos would be pointless. Should I replace the coils with a double winding? Any help is appreciated thanks

#3 7 years ago

I read the thread Title, and said to myself, "yeah, a have a few that stop by my house from
time to time...."

#4 7 years ago

IMG_2567 (resized).JPGIMG_2567 (resized).JPG

IMG_2568 (resized).JPGIMG_2568 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Well, for one thing your right flipper has the wrong coil. Should both be 090-5020-30. Probably not the cause of your issues though. Or maybe it's compatible and just a different number

The eos being essentially bypassed would cause the flipper to dip when being hit by the ripper, as the game has no way of knowing that the flipper has been hit. The question is, why were they bypassed? Could just be someone who doesn't know about EOS switches, or could be masking some board issue.

#6 7 years ago

So the eos wasn't bypassed due to single winding could installed?

#7 7 years ago

I think Data East only used single winding coils. The power to the flippers is controlled by a separate board. The flipper coil gets a timed pulse of high voltage then it switches to a low voltage hold level to avoid burning out the coil.

I am pretty sure the board has some logic in it where it will ignore a permanently closed EOS switch. I think if the EOS is working the board will send through another pulse of high voltage if is see the switch open and close (like if a ball hit the flipper and pushed the flipper backwards)

If bypassing the EOS on this machine left the coil power at high voltage I would assume that the coils would have been burned out long ago. It would not take someone cradling a ball for very long to start to burn up a flipper coil if it was left at high voltage.

Try moving the wires to the correct spots on the EOS switch. Someone was nice enough to not totally remove the switches. See if it makes any difference.

As I recall Data East can have flipper problems if the pins/solder connectors on the flipper control board are marginal. I look at the pins and check for broken solder joints at the pin to board connection and reflow if needed.

Best of luck.

#8 7 years ago

Some of those DE flipper boards are mounted in the left wall inside the cabinet. And if the playfield fell into the cabinet it would damage them in numerous ways, sometimes tearing the transistors off. Check for damage like cracked headers and solder joints.

1 month later
#9 7 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I've taken the flipper board to my pinball repair guy to see if that has any issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
York, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/occasional-lame-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.