(Topic ID: 303828)

Occasional CPU checksum error -- anything to worry about?

By horseflesh

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I recently updated my SS to the latest CPU ROM, bought from one of our well known vendors. In the month since then, I have had two weird startup error reports, but the game works OK.

One time the time and date was unset -- but scores and settings were preserved.

Tonight I got a CPU checksum error -- but the game worked fine, I didn't check the report until after playing.

In ~20 years of owning a handful of games I can MAYBE remember one checksum error.

Since I did pop in a new CPU ROM naturally I suspect that is the cause. Should I let it ride until it gets worse? Reseat the ROM? Ask the vendor for a replacement?

#2 2 years ago

Reseat the rom and beware of the sockets. These tend to cause intermittend issues as they wear older.
And maybe the eprom is bad. I source my eproms from China so they are second handed pulls. I haven't had a single eprom gone bad over the years but know that they aren't new ones so I expect that they can go bad in the future. (Had to dispose 2 last week as they wouldn't burn correctly).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3 2 years ago

I have a BSD doing the occasional U6 checksum error. It plays 100% fine otherwise. It seemed to coincide with the installation of a competition ROM, but I am not ready to blame the chip and I burned a 2nd chip with the same intermittent error.

I have to wonder if any of the auxiliary boards are crapping on the data bus at power up through the LS245s. I did catch this same game a while back with an audio problem at times that magically went away with some board / cable swapping.

#4 2 years ago

OK, I'll reseat and see what happens.

The ROM I pulled out still had a factory sticker on it, this may be the first time that socket has been cycled... but nothing lasts forever.

#5 2 years ago

Update: I happened to need some other ROMs, so I made that order at Matt's Basement Arcade too. I let Matt know about the checksum error on the ROM from my previous order to see what he thought I should do. We both agreed that with so little data we could not prove the chip was faulty, but he offered to throw in a replacement anyway. That's great service... thanks @meloyelo51!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/occasional-cpu-checksum-error-anything-to-worry-about and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.