Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whiny-891.jpg
    this.gif
    image-37.jpg
    image-388.jpg
    bml.gif
    img007.jpg
    img006.jpg
    img005.jpg
    img004.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    dingdong.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

People want to play or own these games and the ones that have them are holding the originals for ransom at high prices.

Ransom high prices? For LOTR? I bought and sold 2 super nice HUO LOTR's in the last year right around the $5k mark (one just under $5k one just over $5k). Not sure if I'd classify that as ransom high prices.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm a little surprised that no WOZ LE owners have complained. 2 different runs of LEs.

Some WOZ LE owners have most definitely complained about that. The fanboys, not so much.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Sorry bout that I didn't clarify my statement. It wasn't directed at LoTR as much as some of the higher priced machines such as B/W DMDs.

Got ya.

I think the OP was talking more about LOTR.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah. He listed B/W in the title though. I should have been more clear with the statement, though. English fail!

Nah, no worries, I understand what you were saying. Other than that confusion (re LOTR), it was a well written post with great points.

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I have ^ see above...I should probably quit posting about it though before I am as redundant as others.

Like I've said before, I don't consider you a fanboy.

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Selling pins has become a lot more difficult over the past year. I hear this from many collectors...not just my anecdotal evidence. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about selling for a profit, I'm talking about selling period. No calls...little interest. The turning point seems coincident with the MMR announcement. I don't think it was MMR's "fault", but it seems like the catalyst.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't see that many games for sale locally anymore. If something cool was for sale and the price was right, you'd see it gone in two seconds!

The only games I see on Craigslist anymore are the same ones over and over…and priced way too high for what they are.

There's always a buyer out there…but they're smarter about overpaying.

I'm with Snaroff on this one. No, we certainly haven't seen anything remotely like a market crash, but I definitely think that pins do not sell nearly as easily as they did a year ago. Not only do they take longer to sell, they seem to be selling for less. Of course we don't usually know what the final sales price is, but when you see pins listed for awhile and the price continuing to be dropped, you can often guess the sales price.

Another barometer is to watch the guys who flip pins. Keep track of their ebay listings. They are not listing nearly as many pins for sale, and again, they are taking longer to sell. A lot longer in many cases.

Again, it isn't anything drastic by any stretch. Not even remotely close to a market crash. But there are definitely signs of a weakening used pin market, and with more new pins being made and sold (some of them at $8k) like WOZ, Hobbit, and MMr, and additional remakes of B/W titles from PPS, and Vault editions from Stern, and more offerings from the small guys like Spooky and the Predator guys, and TBL, and Timeshock, and P3, and yes, even JPop, (not to mention Stern's next title...which may be TWD which will get a lot of sales), I don't think it is remotely unreasonable to talk about the potential for over saturation of the pinball market, which can lead to (much) lower prices.

Of course there will be plenty of people who think that much lower prices for pins across the board is nothing but a positive thing, but that's not the case. There are plenty of people who won't be able to afford (or not willing to accept) these new $8k pins if they can't sell their current pin(s) without taking a huge hit. That means less sales of the new pins, which in theory would not be good for the pinball community.

Whether there is enough demand (new people coming into the hobby?) to absorb all this new inventory is going to be interesting to see. But it seems to me that something's gotta give.

#192 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Here's my LOTR that I tried to sell 6 months ago:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-cq-lotr-low-plays-single-owner-5500
    No interest @ my price of $5,500, so I took it off the market. Plenty of detail in the thread...you can decide for yourself if my asking price is unreasonable. I obviously don't.
    Despite all the accolades in the thread, I received almost no interest.

And that is completely consistent with a post I made yesterday about the potential for a Vault edition of LOTR: I bought and sold two really nice HUO LOTR's right at the $5k mark (one a few hundred below $5k one a few hundred over). This isn't unusual. $5k for a nice HUO LOTR seems to have been the going rate for awhile now. If anything, I'd think the value is/has gone down a bit, like the rest of the market.

#195 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Were yours sold locally? IIRC, I had 0 interest from local collectors (who could have picked it up for 5k without paying for shipping).

One local, one was shipped.

#199 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the thing, being serious for a moment. Prices got inflated, and it got to the point where every time someone bought a pin they thought they could sell it a few months later for a couple hundred more than they bought it for. And that just wasn't sustainable, for obvious reasons. MMr was great, because it deflated some of that bubble, and you're seeing some natural correction in the market.
    So yeah, you're not going to easily move a LOTR for $5500. That doesn't mean the market collapsed, it means you're overpricing your machine. Same with Spider-Man, they were creeping close to $6k. Now people have discovered they're more around $5k. AC/DC has settled down into the $5600ish mark too. Those are sane and normal prices for used machines.
    I see well priced machines move fast all the time. It's people who think that they can just price them high that discover they're sitting on them.

I agree.

But I think MMr might just be the starting point for lower prices.

The question I have is where are we going to be in a year or two from now? Like I said in my earlier post, with more new pins being made and sold (some of them at $8k) like WOZ, Hobbit, and MMr, and additional remakes of B/W titles from PPS, and Vault editions from Stern, and more offerings from the small guys like Spooky and the Predator guys, and TBL, and Timeshock, and P3, and yes, even JPop, (not to mention Stern's next title...which may be TWD which will get a lot of sales), I don't think it is remotely unreasonable to talk about the potential for over saturation of the pinball market, and potentially much lower prices, as there are plenty of people who won't be able to afford (or not willing to accept) these new $8k pins if they can't sell their current pin(s) without taking a huge hit.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

In the meantime, if you have to sell your LOTR for $5k instead of $5.5k I don't think that's enough to break the NIB market's back.

No, that's not what I was saying. My point was that if prices did drop precipitously, meaning someone who paid $5.5k for a LOTR now has to sell it at $3.5k (a price that LOTR used to sell at all day long), it could have a snowball effect on NIB market as a lot of those people will just keep the pin instead of trading it in on a NIB.

The $5.5k vs $5k is not significant at all. Obviously.

#225 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Where do you expect a "correction" to come from? Do you think its going to come from Stern/PPS/JJP?
    It's funny that folks are overjoyed to get an 8k MMR. If it's a keeper for everyone, life is good. If it gets old after 1 year and they can only get 5-6k on your so called "corrected" market, I wonder how they will feel about the "deal" they got.
    For most people, losing 2-3k after playing a game for one year doesn't inspire more NIB purchases.
    It's a balance, and the irony about this discussion is the people who are most inspired by a "correction" are likely to be hurt the most. Over supply is not a friend of this hobby...

Exactly.

#232 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

NIB pricing and value will never cater to those who want to sell it instantly and break even or profit.

Huh?

How many people over the last few years bought an LE for the sole reason that they thought they were going to be able to flip it for a profit? Pins like Tron LE, BIB LE, and even MET LE (early on) gave a lot of people the impression that there was money to be made by "getting in" on the new LE release. I think plenty of LE sales went to people who bought them simply because they thought they were going to make money and had very little risk of losing money.

Luckily it appears that that model is disappearing, in part due to the fact that pins like STLE weren't so "limited" with 800 being made etc

#240 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The STLE's still sold through, though....Mustang, however....but that's another story
    Sure, people bought LE's to flip for a profit. Plenty bought them cuz they wanted to play them and cuz the LE bling was cool. I mean, if you really break down the percentages - of 799 STLEs...how many are set up and being enjoyed, how many were sold/traded within months, and how many are sitting in a flipper's hoard? I'm sure the majority are set up and being enjoyed.

The truth is that we have no idea how many STLE's even sold. While there were a lot of early reports saying that Stern had sold them all, it appears that may not have been accurate.

Anyone can buy a nib STLE if they wanted to. No idea why anyone would though, with HUO prices being as low as they are.

But yeah, I think STLE was another lesson for the flippers in terms of knowing that they aren't going to be making money on the LE model very often. Of course the smart flippers already knew this, based on the fact that they were making 800 of them to begin with.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Absolutely. In my case, STLE also sold on blingy-blings. I was gonna hold off on the game ,but after I saw the lit 'animated rails' and other cool shit, I couldn't help myself.

Me too. One of the best looking pins from Stern ever! Too bad the gameplay didn't hold up to the blingy bling for me.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

"Sold" can be a slippery term. If Automated is sitting on 20 of them does that count as sold as far as Stern is concerned?

Yep, it sure does. Stern got paid. It's sold!

But I don't think Stern ever sold all 799 of them.

Quoted from Rarehero:

1.) Not everyone scours used pinball ads. There will always be someone who just wants to buy a new game. There was a guy who wanted to buy my Avatar LE way back when I had it for sale…the game was pimped, modded, dialed in, gorgeous, played perfectly. He kept trying to talk me down on the price and I was like "you're getting a LOT for your money here & it's way less than a new one"…he didn't care, because it was "used" he wanted it way cheaper & said if I didn't sell it to him at the price he was offering - he'd just go buy a new one. I gave him Trent's info, and he went and bought a new one for like $1000 more lol. *shrug* Lots of different types of people buying pins….they're not all like us.
    2.) If it wasn't for people buying NIB games, you'd never even have HUO ones at "low" prices! So - if you wanna hold back, hold back…but give some props to those who buy new games! You wouldn't have used ones otherwise!

Absolutely. I never said that people don't do exactly that. I said I don't know why they would!

#264 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL - yes you do. YOU buy NIB games! You know why. Cuz it's fun.

Actually I honestly don't know why I do that! Yes, it's always fun to get a nice, shiny new toy. It just isn't the "smart" thing to do! NIB pins that I pre-ordered before playing have not worked out well for me. X-Men and STLE were let downs (the former much more than the latter). I'm learning my lesson though. No more pre-orders for me.

I'm very interested in The Hobbit. TWD would be awesome! I won't pre-order either of them, or anything else. Plenty of other people are taking this approach now who used to pre-order pins on a regular basis.

Star Trek's gameplay has yet to be set in stone. You bailed before the update. Time will tell.

Agreed, not set in stone. But while new code can certainly help, it's never going to be completely different than the base of it is now. It's always going to have those 18 modes which is the heart of the pin. Just not for me.

#265 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

btw...I've asked one of the moderators to lock this thread. I think it's run out of steam and there isn't much more to say.
    Thanks for engaging!

Fail.

#266 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I have nothing to prove to you. If you want to see me play, I have some old youtube videos up. Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PacDork/videos

Wait.

PacDork is you?? Holy crap. How did I not know this?

The IM video is the best one out there on how to play the pin! That's really good stuff Greg. I know it's time consuming, but you should really keep doing those. They are really helpful.

#272 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks. The reason I stopped was because I switched from a PC to a Mac and couldn't figure out how to get my camera's footage to get into my Mac properly. One of these days I'll do a few more…just need a new camera, I think.

Hmm...I would think the Mac would be even easier. Just import the video to iMovie.

Kind of cool thinking about the fact that IM video was shot 3 years ago...and you just got another NIB IM!

#275 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is my biggest beef with Pinside. On Ars we don't allow people to ask to have their threads locked, once you start it you don't "own" it. Being able to shut down people talking irritates me to no end.

Couldn't agree more.

I really think that Robin needs to look at this ridiculous policy of having threads closed just because the OP asks for it to be closed. Actually I'm not even sure if it is a "policy" or just something that the mods do on their own?

#284 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah I don't get this either. They made 300 more than Metallica, but those vanished in like 45 minutes. So selling 300 more over a time period over a title people were excited about doesn't really shock me.
    I don't see any real reason to doubt it.

It's just as much speculation to say that they sold all 799 as it is to say that they didn't!

#299 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think you misread his post. He acknowledged that a majority of Pinsiders feel his concerns are NOT well founded.

I think a lot of what he has said with regard to the market is valid. Whether that is a "concern" is probably what most people take issue with. I.e., most people in this thread appear to think a market downturn is a good thing.

#328 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't know how you came into that money, but I'm wondering if it was inherited rather than the product of your own hard work, because otherwise I would expect you to understand the basic fundamental nature of how companies, especially Stern, operates.

#331 9 years ago

Quoted for posterity.

You are really something else. Truly unbelievable.

And just to set the record straight: I absolutely did not report your stupid post to a moderator!

All because I posted a rolling eyes emoticon. lol

#334 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Every other post of yours on this site is typically an insult towards someone. You are one of the main reasons why this site has degenerated. You engage in more veiled ad hominems than anybody else... yet you seem to be protected by the mods. There's clearly a double standard.

You have no idea what you are talking about. As usual.

If the mods protect me as you claim, can you please tell them to un-ban me from the thread that I got permanently kicked out of yesterday?

You are one of the most pompous people here. Funny that you accuse me of insults towards others, but that is exactly what you did in the post that I responded to.

#336 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Right on time.. every other post of yours is an insult... like clockwork Rob.
    If you were removed from this site, it would make a fundamentally-positive change... and you are not alone, but your constant personal attacks towards people you have never met are constant and a pox on this site.

Says the guy who said "F you Rob" because I posted a rolling eyes emoticon!

#341 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I have no idea who this RobT guy is... but he's notoriously for sticking his face up after every time I post. And apparently he's really concerned that I'm too "pompous." So I guess that's his job.. to chase people around that are "pompous" and let them know he doesn't approve of them. Another useful service courtesy of Pinside(tm).

whiny-891.jpgwhiny-891.jpg
    #348 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Quoted for posterity.

I see PinballHelp has edited his post to remove the "F you Rob" and the "and F whatever moderator you reported it to" from his post.

Which is why I quoted it to begin with.

Overreact much?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obsession-with-stern-ve-reruns-and-bw-remakes-is-sad-disheartening?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.