Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whiny-891.jpg
    this.gif
    image-37.jpg
    image-388.jpg
    bml.gif
    img007.jpg
    img006.jpg
    img005.jpg
    img004.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    dingdong.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwo825.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

I hope they are. People want the games, Stern should give them what they want.

If you did not go into this hobby with the contingency of being stuck with a machine or the possibility of them all being worthless, then you made an error in your financial planning for the purchase.

You are blaming the wrong people for the remakes. People want to play or own these games and the ones that have them are holding the originals for ransom at high prices. No one loses here but the A-list flippers. IMO.

#9 9 years ago

I, and I'm sure others, understand oversupply. I think it's a stretch to equate pinball to a home, though. One you don't really need.

If a game isn't worth having forever, you should expect to take a loss or just resign to not buy it in the first place.

#12 9 years ago

I'm for total market saturation as soon as possible with new companies and titles and remakes.

It'll be just like the early 2000's again with cheap machines for everyone again.

I feel bad for anyone who buys into these collectible machines with the hopes of making money. It's not a sound investment strategy for retirement

#20 9 years ago

There are so many people begging for Vault editions of their favorite game that they can't find easily and/or affordable and every time one of these trades hands, Stern has missed a potential profit.

Contrary to what you say, snaroff, there are not a lot of LoTR machines trading period, much less around 4K. And God forbid you have to ship it.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The only problem with your scenario is that you are assuming the buying market doesn't increase. Maybe if you start pushing more games out, they do temporarily experience a price decrease but the side effect could be that previously excluded buyers will be pulled into market.

Very good point. And one that we've thus far ignored. If you attract more buyers into the hobby, that'll eat into that supply.

#33 9 years ago

buying a game that you don't really want to fix up and maybe use as trade bait toward another purchase later is OK.

Heck, not everyone can spend $5K in one shot.

Id even go so far as to say buying a beater and fixing it up to a good playing quality and reselling for a profit isn't the devil's work. As long as you're passing it on to someone for a good price.

Buying a game for $1500 and just holding it for a few years to sell it for 9K is the reason the remake market will catch on.

I don't think the real collectors have to worry about LEs being remade. I don't think Stern wants that hit to their image.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ransom high prices? For LOTR? I bought and sold 2 super nice HUO LOTR's in the last year right around the $5k mark (one just under $5k one just over $5k). Not sure if I'd classify that as ransom high prices.

Sorry bout that I didn't clarify my statement. It wasn't directed at LoTR as much as some of the higher priced machines such as B/W DMDs.

#54 9 years ago

Yeah. He listed B/W in the title though. I should have been more clear with the statement, though. English fail!

#67 9 years ago

If pinball is an investment to you, you are doing pinball wrong. If these things go the way of the tulip and it destroys you financially, you are a fool for having invested so heavily in it.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

... and the other is pinball... yes?

Haha. If only it were true!

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Really? Hmm...I was planning on retiring from the profits on my pins. Oh yeah, I'm already retired and don't need your investment advice!

That's a nice statement you made there, but I'm not the one here worried about the prices of my machines.

#125 9 years ago

The assumption that people are trying to profit is no assumption. Is it true of every title, absolutely not.

You cannot deny it is true with the B/W DMD games.

I believe a lot of people paid through the nose for IM right before the VEs were announced. The prices were skyrocketing.

#134 9 years ago

Location has more to do with availibility as well. I have played more MMs than I have played LOTR. I just don't see them around here.

I'm sure that is not the norm in many places, just like the overabundance of LOTR is not true in my area.

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from sensfreak:

We have allowed the outrageous prices to happen to our group. People who complain but continue to purchase pins, sight unseen, at whatever price Stern or JJP is willing to post. The idea of paying $8k+ for a game that only a couple of years ago cost $4-5k has become the norm. LEs sell out almost instantly upon pre-release. I have done this myself as I don't want to miss out and so I am just as much to blame. If no one purchases games at this price, the companies will lower their prices. I don't think Stern or JJP will shut down if their games sell for $5-6k instead of $8k+. I think they would see a need to produce more because the price point would be more accessible to people. There have been numerous discussions about unfinished code, poor QA, etc but yet LEs continually sell out before they have even left Stern. Until consumers speak out, by not purchasing these games, there is no need for Stern or JJP to revisit their costing models.

I think you're spot on about games hitting the ceiling. Right now, there is only one machine that Stern is producing that is sold out of LEs and that's Metallica. I'm not counting the IMVE, of course because olny the pro was rerun.

#260 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I'm certain many IM VE purchases were made without playing it. Can I prove this? No. Just a gut feel since so few were in circulation.

I'm certain that you are conveniently leaving out the fact that the game was released and there have been many pinball expo's and conventions since then. There are also owners who let friends come by and play them. I'm sure the majority of people who gobbled the VEs up upon release had enough play to know they wanted it and were unwilling to pay the required prices to pry them from their current owners.

#263 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

btw...I've asked one of the moderators to lock this thread. I think it's run out of steam and there isn't much more to say.
    Thanks for engaging!

It's either the heat, or there really is something in the water in FL. Sheesh!

#295 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Makes sense. I'm glad folks want to keep it open...no big deal. I shouldn't have assumed that just because I was done with the thread, that others were. With nearly 300 posts, I clearly sparked a lively discussion.
    fwiw, here's what I learned: In general, Pinsiders believe my concern about Stern over producing previous titles (like LOTR, which has already been re-run many times) is not well founded. Got it! Now back to playing pinball...

I think you need to retread the entire thread. I'd say roughly the consensus is 90-10 the other way around

#300 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think you misread his post. He acknowledged that a majority of Pinsiders feel his concerns are NOT well founded.

Whoops. Must remember, coffee first, then Pinside. I apologize for my previous post.

Several people have said it and I believe also, that a correction is probably needed. Prices are just getting way out of hand recently. 20 year old, B-list titles are climbing in price so fast that people are saying, F it, I'll just pony up a little more to get a new one. Do some people really want the bottom to fall out of the market and don't care about the future of the hobby? I'd say a small minority do. I think most people just want to get a chance to own an IM or a LOTR or MM,MB, etc.

There is all this talk about it being hard to sell machines since the release of MMR. I think it's just coincidence with the prices getting out of hand. I have passed on 3 machines in the last month. Reason: silly prices. I show up and the first thing the guy utters is, I gotta get x for it because I can't take a loss. Sorry, I am not hear to bail you out since you overpaid for your machine.

I have an experiment, list b list DMDs for 2500 and A listers for 4500. I bet the market gets moving in a hurry. Sorry, I'm not going to pony up $3500 for. roadshow when I can get a IMVE for what, $5400.

#301 9 years ago

Qualifier for my experiment: assuming a local buyer

#305 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Why not? roadshow is better.

But those creepy heads! If my wife didn't like it so much, I would never even consider it. I'd rather have Raven, Goldwings and Bad Girls all in a line.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwo825.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obsession-with-stern-ve-reruns-and-bw-remakes-is-sad-disheartening?tu=jwo825 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.