Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 483 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-wars-luke-skywalker.gif
    notagain (resized).png
    notthis (resized).jpg
    F18E3501-6A0F-4C0D-9227-113B82AB6C75 (resized).jpeg
    iib (resized).jpg
    287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg
    fleshwound (resized).jpg
    ROCKS.gif
    yoda.gif
    jump.gif
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif
    22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    WnoPDJ.gif
    hdgonk (resized).png
    gonk (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just don't get Star Wars fans... I've worked with grown men with families who take a day off from work so they can see the first showing of any new SW movie. I just don't get it.

Have you never been excited for something? Anything?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I get why someone would be excited to see something they're into as soon as possible, especially in the internet age where spoilers are more or less unavoidable. Or it lets them participate in the excitement.

If you want an explanation of why you should care about Star Wars - that would be an exercise in futility. Like what you like and move on if you don't.

#57 2 years ago

Tatooine is great. I stayed in Luke Skywalker's house for around $7 USD some years back.

Star Wars locations in Tunisia - 72 (resized).jpgStar Wars locations in Tunisia - 72 (resized).jpgStar Wars locations in Tunisia - 58 (resized).jpgStar Wars locations in Tunisia - 58 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Actually, I just watched Ep4 on my CED player (pre digital in all it's glory) and I caught that line too.

Just sayin', the internet is a big place and a group of folks scanned multiple original theatrical prints, had them edited and cleaned up, and have shared both HD and 4K versions. Ya know, if you'd like to give your CED player a nice retirement.

3 weeks later
    #120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep, the de-specialized edition got a run through hesterday. Bluray quality - I haven’t seen the 4K versions yet. Thespleen

check out project 4k77.

The despecialized versions are recreations combining all sorts of random sources (blu ray, laserdisc, etc), while the 4k77 version comes directly from film scans, which were cleaned up. There are also some grindhouse versions of the original sequels out there, complete with cigarette burns and all.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

I was on board with episode 1 and 2 other than a few awkward chase scenes. I thought the show was going good and was enjoying it. Episode 3 just ruined it for me. The whole Vader scene at the end was so lame. It would have been awesome to keep the show going without any interaction between Obi Wan and Vader until the last episode. But we now get a very lame fight scene between them and don't get me started on Vader not being able to retrieve Obi Wan because of a fire....what? The dude is super powerful but couldn't use the force to pick up the robot dude that was carrying Obi Wan. Made no sense.

We've already seen awnings stop Inquisitors, small branches stop kidnappers, in Obi-Wan, the most minor inconveniences are enough to stop a bad guy.

#190 1 year ago

Sometimes watching a show is fun, sometimes picking apart a show is fun. I prefer the former, but not above taking part in the latter.

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Naah, easy equation. Enough people watched, they will add more story. Would you rather have a series about random cantina patron #3. ?
    That said, I really would love to see at least an episode about snaggletooth and Dr Evazan!

... maybe?

Like others have said, there's a whole universe out there to explore and somehow the show still had to loop in kid Leia.

#239 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

because Disney is destroying another amazing opportunity with Star Wars.

Your comment reminded me of this ol' trope, when the Inquisitor said "Destroy them!" instead of "stop them!" or "Kill them!"
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverSayDie

Reminded me of Saturday morning cartoons.

Quoted from pinmister:

Someone said the other day-Name a Marvel movie that is good? I thought are you kidding me? I guess you have to be a Marvel fan to really appreciate the efforts and films. I thought to myself-Name a DC film that is good(besides Batman TDK) while laughing in my head.

Yeah, not really a fan of the MCU either. I figure with so many movies, there will eventually be one I like start to finish but, eh? I've found a few of the shows fun though. Obi-Wan feels really uninspired.

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that. Both of those channels are just bitching all the time. I'm not going to give them views.

It's not a great watch. I've said it before, any media can be interesting independent of the plot if performed, shot, and paced well. This show is full of stupid moments that pull me out of the story. Turncoat imperial lady awkwardly fighting/escaping stormtroopers as they're just like "oh no we're being defeated", scenes dedicated to how to disable a force field gate that they could have simply walked around - just moments that leave me wondering if the producers assume the audience is stupid, or if they really can't come up with anything better.

stupid obiwan (resized).pngstupid obiwan (resized).png
    #267 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Or, you know, it’s a TV Show. You people need to get over yourselves.

Why so defensive over a TV show?

#272 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think that was actually his point

How so?

#273 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anyway, watch Ms. Marvel - it's right out of the "Into the Spider-Verse" style and so far it's been very engaging.

Yeah, there's some fun to be had in that show. Only one episode in, but there seems to be a lot of love from the content producers on what they put to screen. I'm not sure I'm the target demographic for it, but appreciate what they're going for.

There's a lot of good TV content out there right now. I'm not a trekkie in the slightest, but Star Trek Strange New Worlds is also some quality content.

#275 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Star Wars is pure brand equity at this point... the number of people involved in "creating" content is so far beyond nuts. Big ol' corporations have to work within their structure, their requirements, their mission, and vision. Anything coming through that corporate sieve will have the same feel. You'll get a few stand-outs once in a blue moon... but it will be rare.

You're right, and it's unfortunate how far-reaching this approach is. Marvel Films, another Disney property, feels much the same. And then every other studio learning the wrong lesson and trying their own hand at a "cinematic universe" with pretty middling to terrible results.

#277 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty truthful. I think the Taika Waititi films stand out a bit since he has a very distinctive style, and for some reason they let him go much more wild than the other directors (e.g. Edgar Wright, Derrickson, etc). But anything as huge as these films are going to be marathons of communication, and telephone, telegram, tell an actor...

I still feel robbed in regards to Edgar Wright - just imagining how fun Ant Man could have been if they were comfortable letting him do his thing. And hey, I have no idea if it would have been good, but I think Lord & Miller's Han Solo film could have been at least interesting.

#279 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

... which shines a light on another problem with big corporations... they are risk adverse. Lucas could always take a risk... it was his own money (whether people liked it or if it worked out... it was his gain/loss).

Funny that it echoes exactly what Lord & Miller had to say: https://www.avclub.com/chris-miller-and-phil-lord-talk-solo-a-star-wars-story-1848504533

"“You can’t play scared,” Miller added. “So, I don’t really relate to some fear of a fanbase. We don’t think about it that way. There are people out there, I suppose, that are trying to game the marketplace and follow a formula. They’re trying to serve the quarterly earnings of a big company, but a company doesn’t make a movie or write a song, these things are made by human beings, and we’re always trying to serve the human beings making the movie and the human beings witnessing the movie, always remembering, what you’re putting out there, that’s only half of it. The other half is, there’s a person in a movie theater and you’re beaming sound and light into their face and they make the movie in their brain. So you have to understand that as a relationship and a conversation, put yourselves into the shoes of that person.”"

#294 1 year ago

Really wish the folks at Disney would cough up the money to use the Imperial theme at least once for Vader.

#296 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why would they have to pay for it? They own the rights to it, no?

Who knows. I would guess John Williams would still need to be paid for new renditions.

#321 1 year ago

Return of the Jedi isn't a great film either. No argument there

And yes, Empire is fantastic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-?tu=roffels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.