Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 483 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-wars-luke-skywalker.gif
    notagain (resized).png
    notthis (resized).jpg
    F18E3501-6A0F-4C0D-9227-113B82AB6C75 (resized).jpeg
    iib (resized).jpg
    287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg
    fleshwound (resized).jpg
    ROCKS.gif
    yoda.gif
    jump.gif
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif
    22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    WnoPDJ.gif
    hdgonk (resized).png
    gonk (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#24 2 years ago

hell yes! None of these shows tarnish the already awesome films that exist. The Mandalorian stands head and shoulders above Boba Fett, sure, but any of this stuff is welcome in my house. Even if it sucks, it would still be better than the hundreds of other new shows you could have wasted your time on. Except Ted Lasso. Watch Ted Lasso.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

I am not so much. Kathleen Kennedy said that they went from being a gritty story to an upbeat happy one, to try to increase the scope of fans.
    https://thedirect.com/article/lucasfilm-kathleen-kennedy-obi-wan-kenobi-script-problems
    Not what most star wars fans are looking for. Sounds like Disney is trying to make it soft, when it shouldn't be.

FROM the article, it states that they started out thinking to create an upbeat, happy story, but that it was difficult due to the aftermath of Revenge of the Sith, and where Obi-Wan is after all that. They aren't "trying to make it soft where it shouldn't be". Makes total sense to me. It's not going to be Netflix Daredevil, but that would be inapproprite for Star Wars anyway. And the trailers do not look like a nice fun, happy (boring) ride. I am hoping they can rectify some of the mess they made with Rey and Finn after starting off on such a good foot with Force Awakens - but I think the timeline is off. Luke appears as a little boy, along with Joel Edgarton as Uncle Owen, which is brilliant.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I get that there are SW fans of all levels, I'm just asking what "the why" is of those who are devoted to it. I love sci-fi (of course Sheldon Cooper calls Star Wars science fantasy), and I can articulate what appeals to me for a multitude of reasons. Maybe Sheldon has something, as I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre at all.

Most of those people saw Star Wars as a little kid, and it blew their minds so thoroughly they never got it out. I'd say I'm a mid-high crazy level fan. I built an R2-D2 (I'm also an engineer), I checked out the Disney World Star Wars land (astounding immersive achievement) but I ditched the han solo pajamas 35 years ago. It's not intellectual, it's emotional. You didn't get it. Do you have a favorite football team though? It's roughly the same. Lots of psychos in that space too, lol

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I was a huge SW fan when I was younger. I saw the three movies multiple times, drew/painted SW art, bought and built models (Tie Fighter was my favorite), and talked about it non-stop with friends. About the only think SW related I never did was own action figures (my Dad called these dolls, and I wasn't allowed to have any - army men were okay, however).
    As I think back, you know what the biggest disconnect was for me that I think was the initial off-ramp? When the sequels came out after the original trilogy, the CGI was so much more advanced that it made the SW world seem far technologically superior to the original trilogy even though these movies (at least the first one and I think others) were set at a time before the 3 movies. Of course one has to suspend disbelief for these genres, but I just couldn't seem to ever get over that to the point that I lost interest.

Aaah, yep. I just ignore those movies, they are objectively bad overall But there are some redeeming things - Ewan McGregor being one light spot. My kid watched the Clone Wars show (whose showrunner Dave Filoni is now on Mando/Boba), so I got something out of watching that. They did an excellent job with the mythology in that show, which is helping to build the Mando show up. The newer movies, loved Force awakens, hated Last Jedi. Totally skipped whatever the other one was. But I'm still going to watch Obi-Wan, it'll be pretty good

1 month later
    #63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:Totally destroys the continuity of the first film, but seems no one gives a fuck anymore.

How so? Because Vader is there? I agree it’s a little weird if Vader is hanging out on Tatooine but he IS from there

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Just sayin', the internet is a big place and a group of folks scanned multiple original theatrical prints, had them edited and cleaned up, and have shared both HD and 4K versions. Ya know, if you'd like to give your CED player a nice retirement.

Yep, the de-specialized edition got a run through hesterday. Bluray quality - I haven’t seen the 4K versions yet. Thespleen

2 weeks later
    #76 1 year ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Excited for Friday
    Bring it.

No doubt!

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

We leave for vacation that night.
    I'm pretty sure my daughter would rather miss our flight than miss the premiere(s) of Obi-Wan.

Just realized Stranger Things is also premiering that day. Has Netflix done ANY advertising for that show?

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not that I've seen. They're probably going to cancel it soon, so they probably figured it's not worth spending the money to advertise it.

Stranger Things? They spent 30 MILLION dollars on this season, and Season 5 is already in production. So it's done after that but that's been planned for a while apparently. Appears to be ending 'naturally' - by far their biggest hit, which is why I'm surprised I've seen almost no ads.

#89 1 year ago

I think that's probably it. I've actually seen a decent amount of buzz about Stranger Things, but no advertising because we only stream.

Same here- maybe that's why no ads! Seems like we get a TON of ads on the streams (e.g. Peacock,Hulu, etc)

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do you get a ton of ads for shows on other streaming services?

No, just making an observation that the ads are unstoppable

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I also read this today, which I found to be very encouraging. The first draft of the show by another writer (who was fired) took place only on Tatooine, and involved Obiwan defending young Luke from various local threats. Apparently Dave Filoni was the one who reviewed the scripts & told Chow to toss them in the trash & go bigger, with the addition of Vader & the Inquisitors. All good things in Star Wars for the last 15 years can be attributed to Filoni.
    "According to Chow, the story went through "significant changes" after new writer Joby Harold's hiring. Harold wanted to explore what happened between McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan and that of Alec Guinness in the original trilogy, and noted that the series takes place when the Empire is "in the ascendancy" and the Jedi have been wiped out, with any remaining survivors being on the run and in hiding. He stated that Kenobi's past, particularly his relationship with Anakin, makes him a "man who's very much defined by that history, whether he wants to be or not". He added that a crucial part of Kenobi's journey will involve "reconciling that past and coming to understand it and coming to understand his place in it", and also the "places he has to go emotionally as well as physically, and some of those battles he has to fight", which ultimately have "to do with facing that past and understanding who he was, his part in his own history, in the history of others".
    Kennedy and Chow cautioned the writers against making any overt connections to The Mandalorian and its spin-off series, with Chow stating that the strongest connections between Obi-Wan Kenobi and the rest of the Star Wars franchise were to the prequel films. Chow wanted to be faithful to George Lucas's original vision for the franchise, and worked to connect elements from the original trilogy and prequel trilogy. She worked to make the series a character-driven story, comparing this to films such as Logan (2017) and Joker (2019), saying that it was "where you take one character out of a big franchise and then you really have the time and you go a lot deeper with the character". She was also inspired by "gritty, poetic westerns" such as The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) and The Proposition (2005), as well as the works of Akira Kurosawa. She felt that there was a "strong correlation" between the Jedi and the Ronin with their "ethical code that goes along with it, in a world that's vastly changed". A new planet introduced for the series is Daiyu, which Harold compared to Hong Kong with a "graffiti-ridden nightlife"; it serves as a contrast to the desert planet Tatooine, where much of the series takes place.
    Long discussions were held before it was decided to include Darth Vader in the series, and Chow said this decision was "not made lightly... Anakin and Vader are a huge and very profound part of Kenobi's life. We ended up feeling that he made sense in telling this story." Chow had championed the idea of including Vader in the series when executives at Lucasfilm were unsure whether they should. Similar to Kenobi's character in the show, Chow stated that Vader's character "isn't quite as fully formed as A New Hope", and she added that Vader's appearance in the series re-contextualizes the character's scene with Kenobi in A New Hope. The series also features the live-action introduction of Vader's Inquisitors, who are tasked with hunting down the remaining Jedi, after appearing in other Star Wars media. The way that Vader appears in the series and the idea to introduce the Inquisitors were both suggested by Filoni. The original scripts featured different villains, including Darth Maul, but Chow decided not to use him as she felt it would be "a little bit much" to have both Maul and Vader due to the large impact that the latter has on the story. She also acknowledged that Filoni had already told the story of Kenobi and Maul in this time period in the animated series Star Wars Rebels."
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. An emotional character driven story to flesh out moments in his overall character arc. It's got me excited for Friday
    This turns into a huge success, then spend the money on a big budget movie & tell the Owiban/Maul conclusion the right way.

Sounds pretty damn encouraging! 2 things: My kid's name is Ronan (spelled that way) and people make this mistake all the time: a Ronin is a Samurai who does *not* have a master/teacher/etc. Jedi are not Ronin. They are most definitely like Samurai.

I also remember Lucas talking about Vader NOT being as big a honcho in ANH because the Emperor is still doing his political deal and is in direct control of the Empire's star systems via their "regional governors", and that Vader kind of has to listen to Tarkin because Vader isn't really the Emperor's right hand until after the Death Star is destroyed. I don't know if that was always planned that way or if that was Lucas revisionism, but it should be interesting to see Vader's kind of out of control period prior to ANH. Just.. please... no more "PADME!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!"

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you're using a browser, use adblockers. Totally nukes them on both services. If you're using the app, you're stuck with them.

Yep. Roku. I have a PiHole blocking most stuff via browser, but we pretty much only use the tv for streaming

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I thought pihole was able to block the in app ads?

So far, not so much on our end - it blocks via URL, so if the ads come from the same hostname as the stream, it won’t work.Hulu does this in particular

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah. Complete surprise. It was announced this morning at the opener!
    [quoted image]

So… what’s the deal? Silence is a little concerning !

#107 1 year ago

Only got to watch the first 15 minutes or so, so far. Looked pretty awesome thus far! I heard some bitching that there’s a female character in it ZOMG GUYS GIRLS CANT BE IN STAR WARS.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Just not have purple hair

LOL

#112 1 year ago

Episode one gets a big, spoiler-free thumbs-up from me! It must have been extra special watching that in the presence of the creators.
    Here's the kicker: we're going to be in Anaheim tomorrow and Sunday. BUT it's a stopover on a trip to Hawaii with extended family, so we feel like we probably shouldn't abandon them to run off and do Star Wars crap. The more I see about the happenings at Celebration, however, the less strongly I feel about that...

uuuuuuh... yeah you should go and do Star Wars crap. I don't know, maybe you like your family better than I do haha!

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

check out project 4k77.
    The despecialized versions are recreations combining all sorts of random sources (blu ray, laserdisc, etc), while the 4k77 version comes directly from film scans, which were cleaned up. There are also some grindhouse versions of the original sequels out there, complete with cigarette burns and all.

Yes! Thanks; 4k77 was what I was referring to, I didn’t realize it was scanned from original film stock.

I’ve got to check out these grindhouse versions … funny, we have gone all the way around the bend from film, to digital, back to simulating the theatrical, uniquely film experience. Very cool

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:This series is REALLLLLLLLLY supporting my obsession that “The Other” Yoda mentioned in ESB is NOT Leia.

That would be a very cool twist - thank goodness we have Dave Filoni trying to make crazy sense of all this stuff.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Not that bad, loved the setting of the second episode.
    Have you guys actually been around real kids? They're annoying and irrational.
    The third sister is the most irritating character to me.

LOL. I know a kid about Leia-in-the-show's age who act EXACTLY like her. Little kids are "acting" all the time. I'm just happy to have some more Star Wars. I really liked some of the episodes of Boba Fett, but overall I think they made a mistake treading over that ground. But whatever, his story is done - and Temura Morrison can come back as some of the Clones as he did in Obi-Wan Ep 2 - that was truly awesome.

The next few shows are going to lose anybody who's still hanging on to Luke and Leia and Han. Really cool to see the Clone Wars and Rebels characters start to get some investment finally. Like it or not, those stories are the ones that kept Star Wars going for so long. I bet the Ahsoka series will be a huge new chapter - I think it's Dave Filoni's first solo live-action directing job, and I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

The lil princess was not that bad at her lines and portrayal of Carrie Fisher but Damon she looked like she was not capable of running , so much do the chases were ridiculously stupid. No way she could escape a walking dead zombie . Then the grand Inquisitor looked fat compared to the clone wars series and got whacked by 3rd Sister that makes no sence if you seen clone wars. Perhaps he is not dead. Was ehhh .

He's not dead, and they're not really going out of their way to hide it - the actor is credited for all 6 episodes. I figure he'll pop out of the shadows and surprise Reva in episode 3 or 4

#150 1 year ago

I enjoyed most of the 3rd episode, and I think the feeling they’re trying to emulate the prequels is probably correct. Really really wish the directors had seen a couple of Kurosawa films. But overall, barring the Vader scene, the episode was pretty good.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Indypin:

I’m a huge SW fan, with Mando being my favorite so far.
    I’m enjoying the Obi-Wan series and I’m learning to like young Leia, but whoever is putting together the action scenes needs to go back to the basic “that defines logic” school.
    How did that one female rebel get past the 3rd sister while going down a one way tunnel? Speaking of which, how did the third sister get past Leia, had enough time to kill the rebel pilot and still capture Leia?
    It’s hard for me to watch knowing some of the behind the scenes drama that Disney is trying to force on the fans while pushing their woke agenda. I heard Disney and/or Ewan McGregor told the actress playing the 3rd sister that most SW fans are racist and to ignore their tweets and remarks even before the pilot episode aired. It sounds like they’re telling the actress we’re going to hate her already because she’s black and not because of her acting or anything else. If it’s true, SW fans have always allowed diversity characters in their universe. Lando is a crowd favorite, along with James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader, has been with the fan base for over 45 years, not including the countless diverse characters in Rogue One and the newest Prequels.
    Give it a rest Disney!

Ok, I definitely suggest you go back and find out a bit more about the situation; you are mischaracterising it and doing yourself a disservice reacting to something that isn’t there.

There most certainly are dumb asses out there who are raging against the inclusion of a black, female character. They are all over YouTube; you don’t even need to look hard. Ewan McGregor was supporting his costar who had ALREADY been receiving death threats and some incredibly hateful shit. Yes, before the show came out. Same exact thing happened with Kelly Marie Tran in Ep. 8. Totally agree that SW has had diversity of characters, but it doesn’t change the fact that there are moronic psychos out there who are upping their rhetoric.

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:Yeah I'm saying use force pull you just used 2 minutes again to capture him for more torture. I think what made it worse is it was late so I had captioning on so I had to read the stormtroopers dialog.
    "Oh its too hot."
    "We cant get around."
    "Were stuck on this side of the flames etc etc"
    Good lord

LOL typical Stormtrooper geniuses

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The entire characterization of the two characters are so far off base. There is no alignment between this new series and the original trilogy other than the names.
    Vader would not walk through a street and just kill bystanders on the side of the street for no reason. In all of the original movies, he was controlled and only used violence towards those who countered him (ep 4) or those who failed him (ep5). There wasn't any glory killing. This was only done here to show how a "bad ass" he is.
    Kenobi was always a stoic, man of few words who spoke softly and carried a big stick. You got the impression that the original Ben was meditating daily and retaining his skills, confidence in his isolation and his fate. Vader even says "you have become weak old man" in Ep 4, implying that he was always strong and tenacious.
    This Kenobi who is incompetent, unresourceful (original Ben knew how to raise $ to get passage and find the pilots to get the there), uninspiring, undisciplined, weak...etc. It's like he's been neutered; the "writers" took all masculine and more importantly, honor out of the man.
    It's a shame too as the production and acting is pretty damn good (outside of the inquisitors and the dreamer).

I think you’re misreading the new show, and reading too much into the Vader of ANH. For me, I fully expected early Vader to be reckless, punitive, and maybe even childish in a sense. As much as I did not like their big scene in the 3rd episode, that Vader was the “DGAF” whose wife and kids are gone, and he’s still pissed about the whole thing.

As far as Kenobi being dialed back, he’s on his own - he’s not a scrappy young dude, he’s out of his element, no longer the General of an army, and he’s Waaay off his game. I can see saying it stretches credibility I suppose, but the show would be boring as hell if he just wasted everybody all the time. Perhaps this is the reason he shouldn’t be a main character in a story? I’m curious to find out who his brother is though

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I take the first file (ANH) as the core and origin of the story...it was there first. Kind of like the Book of Mark.
    You have a point on Vader, if we take the prequels (which I guess we have to).
    I always saw Kenobi as a version of Kambei Shimada from The Seven Samurai - war worn, but always kept his composure under check and avoided violence if possible. He doesn't have to waste everyone, but the hardest thing I have with this series is how they have "reimagined" him. A vulnerable scared neutered man that needs a 10 year old girl to help him along his way. He never gave up home in ANH, he didn't show any defeatist tendencies in his nature.
    What a wasted opportunity. Oh well - 1st world problems as they say.

Hat tip. I was just telling my wife I do wish the director had gone back and watched more (any?!) Kurosawa.

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Season 2 confirmed
    Reva was supposed to be killed off but the ending is now changed to keep her alive and the complete 6 episode story is now opened up to allow more money.
    I mean more story…

This is either going to be horrible or REALLY horrible
    Hope I’m wrong

Naah, easy equation. Enough people watched, they will add more story. Would you rather have a series about random cantina patron #3. ?

That said, I really would love to see at least an episode about snaggletooth and Dr Evazan!

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

They didn't though. They used Respeacher tech to create new dialog for the Obiwan show. Pretty remarkable.
    That's why Vader sounds exactly like his original trilogy voice in the Obiwan show, and not like JEJ's 80+ year old voice when he recorded new dialog for Rogue One. Really makes all the difference.
    https://insidethemagic.net/2022/06/star-wars-changes-darth-vader-respeech-al1/

Thanks for that link - I had read they used Respeecher again, but could not find verification. He sounds EXACTLY like the ROTJ Vader to my ears

edit: It's unclear whether or not James Earl Jones recorded the lines as Hamill did in Book of Boba, or if they just matched it to Hayden Christiansen's delivery. My money is on james Earl Jones actually performing the lines, and they touched it up with Respeecher and had Christiansen match up. The delivery is just too spot on

My lord, there are some lowlifes on that site.

#221 1 year ago

Yep, episode 4 didn’t do it for me. Every series has one or two of these “treading water” type episodes. Hopefully the last 2 episodes will be better.

On the flip side, we also watched “Ms Marvel” which was EXCELLENT. Sooooo creative. I think it may be hard to find as huge an audience since it initially comes off as a “teenager” show, but it very much was not. I was almost shocked they were both produced by Disney.

#228 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

How would any person who has ever watched Star Wars ask this?...
    The whole way that she reaches out to him now doesnt make sense, go back and watch a new hope and try to tell me that the ask for help as it is in the movie now makes any sense after watching the new show. (You know, the WHOLE ENTIRE KICK OFF TO THE SAGA)
    In the movie shes like "Hey guy I never met and I only heard rumors of your existence from my dads old stories, I hope youre alive and are real because we need you."
    After this show it would be like "Obiwan its me Leia you know that girl you saved like 15 times from the empire 8 years ago, well get your light saber cause I got a doozie for you."

You are reading WAY too much into the R2 message. She sends a formal greeting to a former general in the rebel army, and calls him by his proper name (ie not “Ben”). At no time does she give away that she either does not does not know him, AND she never meets him in the first movie.

Now I want to go back and see how upset she is when he gets killed LOL. We all know this is a retcon and it’s not making the show any better, but this take is an unearned assumption.

#229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I am amazed at how poor the writing is on this show; Reminiscent of late series Game of Thrones, fan fiction quality.
    I will say, quite happy Obi Wan is given power and ability finally.

I just looked up the screenwriter’s credits, and … yeah they are bad. I have no idea what Disney was thinking

#236 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Yes, maybe. But it could also be interpreted that this is a peer of her father and said father is the one actually in charge and asking for help. She would keep it formal. She is a princess. But yes, if they had all these adventures and she is under attack while making message on R2 for Obi-Wan, she would have just said “Obi- it’s me Leia. Dad needs you.”
    During escape, she doesn’t ask if he is real. She asks “Where is he?”

Her reaction "Ben Kenobi, where is he?!" is completely believable in that she might have known him from before. Plus Luke calls him "Ben" which I always took to mean she knows him informally as well

#252 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:Can we all at least agree that “Ben Kenobi” is probably the laziest alias ever.
    I feel like when Luke hears his name the line might as well have been:
    “Obi-wan Kenobi?…. I wonder if she means OBI-WAN Kenobi?…”

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClarkKenting

#253 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I know it’s impossible for pinsiders to watch YouTube videos more than 30 seconds long but I’m gonna risk it like a death save in an IFPA tourney.
    This is a good summation of how awful the writing is.
    This guy does a great job of calling out Disney on all the crap they pull with Star Wars.
    I know my 4 or 5 downvoters wont watch it but for those that see through the crap of what this show is, it’s nice seeing someone else articulate it like they do.
    Can’t wait for the next mess they release this Wednesday

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that. Both of those channels are just bitching all the time. I'm not going to give them views.

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Why so defensive over a TV show?

I think that was actually his point

#271 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... as a grown ass man watching the show, I am underwhelmed. As a parent with 3 kids, the whole family has been enjoying the show. Yes, some of it is bad... really bad, but overall it is still entertaining. Remember who the target audience is on this.

Good perspective. I mean it's still pretty cringey... and when compared with the (so far) super creative Ms. Marvel show (which they release the SAME DAY!! I bet the Obi Wan team is regretting that), it's just not on the same level. But hell it's only 6 episodes, barely noticeable these days. And it is hilarious to me how many people are out there going "I'm done watching this show..." and then are back the next week complaining about the latest episode! The old guys are the ones complaining, and the kids who grew up watching Clone Wars and the Prequels are doing fine.

Anyway, watch Ms. Marvel - it's right out of the "Into the Spider-Verse" style and so far it's been very engaging.

#276 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Star Wars is pure brand equity at this point... the number of people involved in "creating" content is so far beyond nuts. Big ol' corporations have to work within their structure, their requirements, their mission, and vision. Anything coming through that corporate sieve will have the same feel. You'll get a few stand-outs once in a blue moon... but it will be rare.

Pretty truthful. I think the Taika Waititi films stand out a bit since he has a very distinctive style, and for some reason they let him go much more wild than the other directors (e.g. Edgar Wright, Derrickson, etc). But anything as huge as these films are going to be marathons of communication, and telephone, telegram, tell an actor...

#288 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

Me too - loved Dukes of Hazzard as a kid but hard to watch now.

Same! lol

#291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

Wow, I'm really excited for episode 6 now. Great to see this turn around.

Totally agree! With most shows if they have a bummer episode I think “eh. Ok well I hope next week is better.” With this show it’s like “OMG STAR WARS IS OVER MY LIFE IS A LIE!” Perhaps we can find a place to meet in the middle and not take it so seriously

But that was a pretty good episode, I even dug Hayden Christiansen in their lightsaber duel, and said to my wife I wish they had more time where Anakin isn’t such a major asshat. He’s halfway decent in Clone Wars for example

#297 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Knight Rider is even worse. Only old show that I can stand to watch is Fantasy Island.

HAHAH That is so true. I tried to put on Knight Rider the other day, and ... oh wow. Just nope! I have watched a bunch of the Incredible Hulk episodes, and that really was a good show through and through. There are a few episodes which are hugely bad, but they were also bad back then (see: the Evil Hulk episode)

#298 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Really wish the folks at Disney would cough up the money to use the Imperial theme at least once for Vader.

That's on purpose. They are also using .. whats' the word. .fragmented? versions of Leia's and Obi-wan's themes. It's meant to show - particularly in the case of Vader - how he's not yet the character we are used to. They also specifically chose to put Hayden (and a stuntman) in the suit without making him look taller because he's supposed to be not quite as imposing yet. I think this might have been a better idea on paper than in practice.

#307 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

Its quiet in here. Did Episode 5 silence the haters? Or maybe they already gave up on it.
    I thought it was a fantastic episode. Loved the Darth Vader scenes and how the Reva story instantly is upgraded with her plot twist.
    A little disappointed ep 6 will be last episode as now I feel like story is just picking up. But I did read final episode is like hour and 40 minutes.

And they green lit a season 2 already. I was saying to my wife, I think this would have been much better received if the main character was an unknown rather than this dude who has so much baggage. Hoping they stick the landing on ep 6!

#322 1 year ago

I have a theory that a lot (not all!) of the complaints about the current batch of Star Wars content stem from rosy retrospection.
    For example, stormtroopers have always been like human tissue paper. Can you say, "Ewoks"?
    [quoted image]
    The first movie I clearly remember seeing in a theater is Empire Strikes Back. So I'm as nostalgic for Star Wars as anybody, it having been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. If I go back and watch the original trilogy today, however, I can see that it suffers from a lot of the same issues that people tend to complain about in a show like Obi-Wan. But because the original trilogy sits high on a pedestal of fond memory, people tend to remember it as more perfect than it was. Hell, watch the OG movies with someone who's never seen them and doesn't have that nostalgic connection to them, and they'll gladly tell you just how imperfect they are.
    Except for Empire, of course. Empire can do no wrong and if you claim otherwise I will fight you in the parking lot.

Like pretty much ALL of human existence - the “good ‘ol days” weren’t. I don’t know why, but I still prefer the very first movie to ESB, even though ROTJ was the first one I saw in theaters, and ESB is clearly a superior film in pretty much all aspects. Something about the limited budget and scrappiness of the whole production, alongside George Lucas’ iron grip on the “feel” of the universe. Technology sort of fouled the water, as Star Wars became more successful. I mean, IMO.

That said, I’ve warmed up quite a bit to the animated series - those really are quite good. No, not every episode, but the ones I’m looking back on retroactively; they are worth your time.

2 weeks later
    #436 1 year ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I definitely don’t think it was perfect. I said it was a ret-con, not that they had it all in a master plan. How could they?
    I also feel like boomer Star Wars fans have to HATE anything new. Just because (gasp) it violates their ideas of how the force works. Or because there’s a show with a main character who is black or Asian (see post above). The horror!!
    Can something Star Wars just be good? Is new and different ok? We complain when we rehash things (“sequel trilogy was a just another Death Star” or “the emperor again?”) and we complain when we change things up.
    I liked Obi Wan. I didn’t love everything. I did love the last episode. So taken as a whole, I thought it was good.

100% true, whole post.

1 week later
    #443 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There are some silver linings though.
    I saw Everything Everywhere All at Once last weekend. Good Lord. The most original creative mind blowing film I've seen since Being John Malkovich. Really outside-the-box thinking. The creative writing, great acting, directing, insane editing, impressive visuals, colorful costumes, martial arts action, heartfelt drama, zen philosophy & the meaning of life..... it really was a wild thought provoking ride. Jump into the deep end on this one & just go with the flow. It should sweep every award this year. Plus Short Round/Data is in it! It was his first acting role in like 30 years, and he was phenomenal. High recommend it.

1000% agree. That movie was awesome. Also saw another time travel movie, this one Japanese, called “Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes”. SUUUUPER low budget, but so unbelievably well planned and written, and it looks like a studio movie. Pretty great surprise - and it’s free on Tubi!

#445 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Everything Everywhere All at Once was great and really enjoyable.
    I think it had a much deeper meaning about mental health and suicide.

Damn, I actually forgot about that whole part. That movie was really something else

1 week later
    #472 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

oh? you do not see all the Leftist and Woke agenda in any of the new stuff being re written. here it is explained pretty damn good

Oh my god I needed this. This week has been kinda crappy and your post and that insane video gave me the belly laugh I needed. Then I realized you actually took that seriously.

#476 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Anyone else watch the Kai Patterson edit yet?

Yeah, I do have to admit it does seem to streamline the story, but I do not agree that wholesale removal of characters/storylines equals wholesale “improvement”. I can watch Fox News for bullshit analysis like that

#480 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

If that’s your take away then I’m calling bullshit on you actually watching it.

Really?!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.