Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 483 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-wars-luke-skywalker.gif
    notagain (resized).png
    notthis (resized).jpg
    F18E3501-6A0F-4C0D-9227-113B82AB6C75 (resized).jpeg
    iib (resized).jpg
    287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg
    fleshwound (resized).jpg
    ROCKS.gif
    yoda.gif
    jump.gif
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif
    22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    WnoPDJ.gif
    hdgonk (resized).png
    gonk (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Tatooine is great. I stayed in Luke Skywalker's house for around $7 USD some years back.[quoted image][quoted image]

I actually own a tiny piece of that doorway now! Dumb purchase in hindsight, but cool that you’ve been there.

2 months later
    #100 1 year ago

I’m watching the first episode at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim in 1 hour and 32 minutes! Special early showing!

#102 1 year ago

Yeah. Complete surprise. It was announced this morning at the opener!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #104 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So… what’s the deal? Silence is a little concerning !

No spoilers. It was amazing!!!! You’re in for a freaking treat.

4E457122-6030-4A9B-9843-5657F7AADBD2 (resized).jpeg4E457122-6030-4A9B-9843-5657F7AADBD2 (resized).jpeg
    #111 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Episode one gets a big, spoiler-free thumbs-up from me! It must have been extra special watching that in the presence of the creators.
    Here's the kicker: we're going to be in Anaheim tomorrow and Sunday. BUT it's a stopover on a trip to Hawaii with extended family, so we feel like we probably shouldn't abandon them to run off and do Star Wars crap. The more I see about the happenings at Celebration, however, the less strongly I feel about that...

Absolutely DO IT!

#137 1 year ago

I definitely did not like boba Fett and this seems way better in my opinion. I think this will turn out well. Somebody mentioned the chase Leia scenes. Terribly choreographed.

But overall, I like it. Not love, but maybe there’s still hope

#201 1 year ago

I (finally) watched the third episode. It had some great moments. I agree with all the “Vader can’t walk through fire?” and “inquisitors foiled by awnings” comments. But I could see how maybe the bad guys wanted to use them as bait to capture the bigger fish/network of people helping them. I’m not stoked about the characterization of obi wan at this point, but we’re only at the halfway mark, and maybe his story arc in this series will end where we want it. That being said, he’s an old dude and has sacrificed literally everything (probably including practicing his skills, etc) to protect Luke (as the only hope for the Galaxy). I actually have sympathy for him. What a horrible life. And to watch another Jedi die just to not blow his cover? I see that as more of a heroic sacrifice than sign he’s a wuss.

#238 1 year ago

Ok so I watched episode 4 and, as usual, I can’t believe I’m watching the same stuff as some of you. Saying this is worse than Boba Fett is crazy to me. That was actual garbage most of the time. I’ll admit I think this series started slow and the edits have been terrible, but this episode finally felt like real Star Wars. I do think sometimes we’re prisoners to what we invented in our minds about the original trilogy (speeders can’t hover… it felt foreign to me too, but then I was thinking, they didn’t have wheels. How do they land if they can’t hover? And didn’t Luke and (hobbie?) kinda hover as they were taking off?). But overall I REALLY liked this episode. Even the acting felt a lot better to me.

Although I felt like they absolutely ripped off the water scene from Jedi Fallen Order. I couldn’t believe they would plagerize from other recent canon like that. I guess it could be a callback like episode 7, idk. Anyone else play that game and think the same thing?

Sorry to end a little negative because I really felt like this was some actual good Star Wars content.

1 week later
    #344 1 year ago

At this point I’m looking for good moments and doing my best to just give all those conflicting elements a pass. It’s not that I don’t notice them.

For instance, obi wan knowing anakin’s weakness and desire to win quickly and using that to help defeat him is an awesome moment. Watching them spar again was great. I think the deep fake tech wasn’t perfect here but I loved the lightsaber fighting!

#360 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

So, instead of some gizmo, think of Kid Leia as your mcguffin, and suddenly your description is really close to the actual show, the first paragraph pretty much 100%.
    The lots of Anakin/Obi-Wan flashbacks, or redeeming Anakin's character, I don't know, we already got 7 seasons of Clone Wars that did both those things fantastically well. What would the point be?
    I'd definitely lose my mind for some pre-padawan Ahsoka stories, but I'm guessing we'll see some of that in her show - assuming it's still a thing, I'm so out of the loop on what they still have coming and what they've shelved.

Ahsoka show coming. Same with Mando 3 and Cassian Andor show.

Hopefully not boba 2. Ugh

#375 1 year ago

I completely disagree with you all. That was freaking awesome. My daughter and I were screaming and cheering. Obi wan was finally a badass. Typical tiny plot holes but overall that redeemed the series. Full disclosure I’m a serious Star Wars fan. New trilogy and all. Love it.

#401 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

The horrid writing:
    So Vader stabs Reva through the spine then just leaves and Reva then crawls over to the communication device and sees Bail say tatooine and then she what, crawls to her ship, flys to tatooine, lands, walks to the market, asks where Owen is then it gets dark while she walked out to the moisture farm ALL while Vader's star destroyer is still chasing the transport ship while blasting it? wtf.
    Also, since when is ship shields a thing in Star Wars?
    Sure some droids had shields but I don't think a junky old transport ship ever had shields in SW before. (Hoth evacuation: transport ships were being destroyed left and right)

Shields have always been a key thing in Star Wars. Ships of all size. Falcon had deflector “screens” (I think that’s what Han called them)

#423 1 year ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

Well, you have a point there, lol.

I disagree. They did a subtle ret-con there at the end when obi wan told Leia to never let it out that they know each other or it could be dangerous for them both. R2-D2’s message was “encoded” to cover that up. I was watching for some way they would cover for that. I thought it was decently played off.

#425 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Your point makes no sense if the message was encoded. It was basically for Ben’s eyes only.

Hmmm. I’m trying to think of the wording here. It was coded in case it was intercepted, nobody would know they had communicated before. In other words, not mentioning they know each other was on purpose.

1 week later
    #428 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I always find it interesting how the hard core fans will explain justify every poorly written detail like it was all part of the master plan. It is obvious they are just making it up as they go. Disney knows all they need is even a loosely connected character from the originals and the fans will rave. The sheer volume of reviews that say, the entire show was terrible but we got baby Leia and a couple minutes of Blue and Red Obi Vs Vader action it was all worth it 10 out of 10, just reupped my subscription can't wait for Season 2.

I definitely don’t think it was perfect. I said it was a ret-con, not that they had it all in a master plan. How could they?

I also feel like boomer Star Wars fans have to HATE anything new. Just because (gasp) it violates their ideas of how the force works. Or because there’s a show with a main character who is black or Asian (see post above). The horror!!

Can something Star Wars just be good? Is new and different ok? We complain when we rehash things (“sequel trilogy was a just another Death Star” or “the emperor again?”) and we complain when we change things up.

I liked Obi Wan. I didn’t love everything. I did love the last episode. So taken as a whole, I thought it was good.

#435 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

You know, people throw around "LOL" a lot, just toss it in anywhere without a thought. Hell, I kinda use it as punctuation sometimes when an exclamation mark seems too extra and a period seems too dead behind the eyes. So I just want to be clear about this LOL I'm about to type. It's a real, honest-to-god laughing out loud literally in real life (irl). When I read your post I squawked involuntarily because I had a mouthful of nachos, then I inhaled about 1% of my lung capacity in nacho crumbs, and I have not stopped laughing yet.
    LOL

I invented the LLOL (literal laugh out loud) for just such occasions.

#438 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah, my issues are not with anything to do with how things were back in the day. My issue is the standard has changed over the last 45 or so years. I expect a little more for my entertainment dollars. There is no excuse for this B tier writing, acting, story telling, choreography on a franchise this massive. There is only so many hours available to watch shows and I hate that everyone accepts this garbage. This is the best we can get for Star Wars TV. People need to start comparing this to what it could have been not just accepting that 5 minutes of it weren't terrible. I thought the black third sister was super problematic, people complain about wokeness and Disney is still parading out the token angry black women that has no value to themselves or any other character.

Og Star Wars wasn’t the best acting/writing. Watch them again with a critical eye.

#440 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

That is my point 45 years and people still accept the same garbage. Entertainment has taken massive leaps in quality especially with streaming service but for some reason Star Wars is still 70’s B tier. Why the fans all rave it’s good because it’s still as bad as ever is beyond me. If people held it to a bare minimum standard of today maybe Disney would stop churning out crap.

Yeah. I’m certainly guilty. I like/love it all. Low standards really enable me to enjoy Star Wars a lot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.