Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 483 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-wars-luke-skywalker.gif
    notagain (resized).png
    notthis (resized).jpg
    F18E3501-6A0F-4C0D-9227-113B82AB6C75 (resized).jpeg
    iib (resized).jpg
    287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg
    fleshwound (resized).jpg
    ROCKS.gif
    yoda.gif
    jump.gif
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif
    22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    WnoPDJ.gif
    hdgonk (resized).png
    gonk (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
    #301 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

Its quiet in here. Did Episode 5 silence the haters? Or maybe they already gave up on it.
    I thought it was a fantastic episode. Loved the Darth Vader scenes and how the Reva story instantly is upgraded with her plot twist.
    A little disappointed ep 6 will be last episode as now I feel like story is just picking up. But I did read final episode is like hour and 40 minutes.

Hater here.
    5 was definitely a major improvement, there are still a few things I wish they wouldnt have added. For example it makes sense that Vader wouldve had the clairvoyance to know who Reva was but what doesnt make sense is he knew it all along, and for her to just throw that information around about knowing Anakin is Vader is way too loose cannon for Vader to allow and he has killed people who even slightly pick up on it. So why would he just let her do her thing like that? The only 3 people prior to New Hope that knew were Thrawn, Tarkin, and Ol' Palppy Boy. Something to think about.

Im sick of 100 storm troopers being 10 ft away from a crowd of 30 and no one gets shot, except like 2 people, its getting unreal.
    And they are really dialing back on how light sabers truly work, in one moment Reva cuts through 3 ft of steel with no effort but when Obi-wan is mowing down storm troopers they just have little burn marks on their chest? There should be heads and limbs laying all over the place.
    And THANK GOD LEIA WAS ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM WITH SHIELDS.... really? 10 year old sheltered Princess knows how to do this crap, she must be an amazing Pinball Tech on location.
    And WHYYYYYYYYYY would Vader just leave Reva for dead and not just blink his eyes to literally tear her in half vertically???

BUT, its stupid stuff like that in this episode which is why I agree that this one was a major improvement over the previous 4 because the list of issues in the previous significantly outweigh the good.

Seeing the flashback was great
    Seeing Vader force pull a ship out of flight and tear it to shreds was great
    Seeing that chick from Game of Thrones die was great

Im wondering where this thing with Reva is going with her picking up on trying to hide children from vader, im glad she doesnt know that they are HIS kids but i can see how Disney would screw this up so im holding my breath.

#302 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Knight Rider is even worse. Only old show that I can stand to watch is Fantasy Island.

Whenever j run into a Buck Rodgers episode I'm pretty impressed. No wonder it blew my mind as a kid

Quoted from Elicash:

Its quiet in here. Did Episode 5 silence the haters? Or maybe they already gave up on it.

Fell asleep to weird Heyden Christianson face, and when I woke up over the top Force Powers were going down so I'll have to get to it again ASAP.

#303 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HAHAH That is so true. I tried to put on Knight Rider the other day, and ... oh wow. Just nope! I have watched a bunch of the Incredible Hulk episodes, and that really was a good show through and through. There are a few episodes which are hugely bad, but they were also bad back then (see: the Evil Hulk episode)

Later years of the Hulk weren't so good (I remember one where he lands a plane - even as a kid I knew that was shite), but he early seasons are still pretty damn good, mostly due to Bixby's acting.

#304 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Whenever j run into a Buck Rodgers episode I'm pretty impressed. No wonder it blew my mind as a kid

I still watch Buck Rogers, it's the ultimate, and I mean ultimate guilty pleasure. Gotta say though, it did have the best intro for a TV show in the 70's.

#305 1 year ago

This show is really painful. Episode 5 just made me mad. Vader uses the force to stop the transport ship from lifting off while the sneaky resistance slips away in a second transport in the same hangar. Isn’t there a Star Destroyer in orbit capable of stopping a transport ship? In the past the transports always slip away because they are being protected by cover fire. This time they just flew away without issue. Nobody even shot a spit wad as cover fire. In the Star Wars world the destroyer could have blown up the transport if they wanted to kill everyone or lock on to it with a tractor beam if they wanted to capture the ship.

#306 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

...Vader uses the force to stop the transport ship from lifting off...

Why didn't he just do that for the snowspeeders in Ep4?

#307 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

I thought it was a fantastic episode. Loved the Darth Vader scenes and how the Reva story instantly is upgraded with her plot twist.
    A little disappointed ep 6 will be last episode as now I feel like story is just picking up. But I did read final episode is like hour and 40 minutes.

And they green lit a season 2 already. I was saying to my wife, I think this would have been much better received if the main character was an unknown rather than this dude who has so much baggage. Hoping they stick the landing on ep 6!

#308 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Couldn't you say that about a lot of things in Star Wars though, when you think about it? Like, why did he fry all his electronics to toss the Emperor down the shaft when he could've just flicked him in there with his mind from a safe distance away?

#309 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Like, why did he fry all his electronics to toss the Emperor down the shaft when he could've just flicked him in there with his mind from a safe distance away?

To a point of course, but he never displayed the ability to affect that much using the Force (eXpecially vs a Sith head-doucher). He crushed some windpipes & threw some boxes and shit, but I don't think he ever just fucking jacked someone up using force grab...that came later (I think?).

#310 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I still watch Buck Rogers, it's the ultimate, and I mean ultimate guilty pleasure. Gotta say though, it did have the best intro for a TV show in the 70's.

Wilma was the bomb on that show!

#311 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Hater here.
    5 was definitely a major improvement, there are still a few things I wish they wouldnt have added. For example it makes sense that Vader wouldve had the clairvoyance to know who Reva was but what doesnt make sense is he knew it all along, and for her to just throw that information around about knowing Anakin is Vader is way too loose cannon for Vader to allow and he has killed people who even slightly pick up on it. So why would he just let her do her thing like that? The only 3 people prior to New Hope that knew were Thrawn, Tarkin, and Ol' Palppy Boy. Something to think about.
    Im sick of 100 storm troopers being 10 ft away from a crowd of 30 and no one gets shot, except like 2 people, its getting unreal.
    And they are really dialing back on how light sabers truly work, in one moment Reva cuts through 3 ft of steel with no effort but when Obi-wan is mowing down storm troopers they just have little burn marks on their chest? There should be heads and limbs laying all over the place.
    And THANK GOD LEIA WAS ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM WITH SHIELDS.... really? 10 year old sheltered Princess knows how to do this crap, she must be an amazing Pinball Tech on location.
    And WHYYYYYYYYYY would Vader just leave Reva for dead and not just blink his eyes to literally tear her in half vertically???
    BUT, its stupid stuff like that in this episode which is why I agree that this one was a major improvement over the previous 4 because the list of issues in the previous significantly outweigh the good.
    Seeing the flashback was great
    Seeing Vader force pull a ship out of flight and tear it to shreds was great
    Seeing that chick from Game of Thrones die was great
    Im wondering where this thing with Reva is going with her picking up on trying to hide children from vader, im glad she doesnt know that they are HIS kids but i can see how Disney would screw this up so im holding my breath.

You & I are on the exact same page. I’m sorry but this episode was weak AF overall.

All the Vader moments kicking serious ass? The flashback? Just outstanding. Been waiting 5 episodes for this stuff, which should have been featured the whole damn show. But it didn’t save the episode.

The writing is just unbelievably poor. Disney is just totally taking the audience for granted. All the characters are doing things that are improbable. The Indian scammer guy just appears in the bunker? How convenient! Mary Sue Little Leia is also the galaxy’s best engineer? Of course she is! Untrained citizens wipe out a legion of Stormtroopers in close quarter combat. Obiwan surrenders, put in cuffs, dragged away for some reason, and you guessed it…..yet another easy escape! The big 3rd sister twist? Everyone saw that coming, even Vader for some unexplained reason!

Speaking of the unexplained….so lightsaber stabs through the gut mean absolutely nothing now? You just need “revenge” to dark side force heal your wounds now? Well that’s a new one. Maul surviving Episode 1 was a pretty big one-time exception. But I guess Revenge healing worked for the Grand Inquisitor. Guess what? It’s going to work for the 3rd sister by Episode 6 too. Give me a break. Introducing force healing in TLJ was one of the dumbest ideas Disney ever introduced. Now it’s become a maguffin so no character ever has to die. And Vader “has no further use” for her, yet he doesn’t kill her after she turned on him? Yeah that’s not out of Vader’s character. Dumb dumb dumb.

Did you notice at the end Ice Cube’s kid told Obiwan their escape ship’s hyperdrive is down, and “they are behind us”. Well they should be easy for Vader’s flagship to blast into bits. Or maybe we’ll get another “out of gas” chase. Or who cares anymore. The writers sure don’t care.

IDK how the finale will go. But I’m willing to guess the last scene is Quai Gons ghost connecting with Obiwan with a warning….. you’re not out of danger yet Obiwan! Then cut to a shot of Darth Maul in his ship smiling. Obiwan will return in 2024 for season 2!!!

#312 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You & I are on the exact same page. I’m sorry but this episode was weak AF overall.
    All the Vader moments kicking serious ass? The flashback? Just outstanding. Been waiting 5 episodes for this stuff, which should have been featured the whole damn show. But it didn’t save the episode.
    The writing is just unbelievably poor. Disney is just totally taking the audience for granted. All the characters are doing things that are improbable. The Indian scammer guy just appears in the bunker? How convenient! Mary Sue Little Leia is also the galaxy’s best engineer? Of course she is! Untrained citizens wipe out a legion of Stormtroopers in close quarter combat. Obiwan surrenders, put in cuffs, dragged away for some reason, and you guessed it…..yet another easy escape! The big 3rd sister twist? Everyone saw that coming, even Vader for some unexplained reason!
    Speaking of the unexplained….so lightsaber stabs through the gut mean absolutely nothing now? You just need “revenge” to dark side force heal your wounds now? Well that’s a new one. Maul surviving Episode 1 was a pretty big one-time exception. But I guess Revenge healing worked for the Grand Inquisitor. Guess what? It’s going to work for the 3rd sister by Episode 6 too. Give me a break. Introducing force healing in TLJ was one of the dumbest ideas Disney ever introduced. Now it’s become a maguffin so no character ever has to die. And Vader “has no further use” for her, yet he doesn’t kill her after she turned on him? Yeah that’s not out of Vader’s character. Dumb dumb dumb.
    Did you notice at the end Ice Cube’s kid told Obiwan their escape ship’s hyperdrive is down, and “they are behind us”. Well they should be easy for Vader’s flagship to blast into bits. Or maybe we’ll get another “out of gas” chase. Or who cares anymore. The writers sure don’t care.
    IDK how the finale will go. But I’m willing to guess the last scene is Quai Gons ghost connecting with Obiwan with a warning….. you’re not out of danger yet Obiwan! Then cut to a shot of Darth Maul in his ship smiling. Obiwan will return in 2024 for season 2!!!

#313 1 year ago

Can someone explain why stormtroopers form up and advance in lines, like 15th century pikemen 2 ft away from each other when facing an entrenched scattered enemy? Seems like a bad way to get slaughtered, militarily speaking.

Oh, and Vaders grab of the transport… oy vey.

When is obi wan gonna be the old skool bad ass he obviously was? I mean a jedi, a general, defeated anakin repeatedly….yet hes a vasilating beta cuck in this show. F disney. But at least little leia can climb ladders and rewire hangar doors…..

#314 1 year ago

Can I preorder tickets yet?
    Looking forward to a rewatch of episode 5. I can't say that the "twist" really came as much of a surprise, but seeing Vader go nuts with his Force powers was awesome.

Come on Vader pulling that ship back with ease
    And yoda strained picking an X-Wing out of the swamp!

#315 1 year ago
    Quoted from HFK:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I am in for an LE!

#316 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You're not wrong but there's a point where you have to accept that Star Wars has turned into a popcorn chomper action IP and not some masterfully crafted Tolkien world where every aspect lines up perfectly. It is sad that Disney can't even get major plots to line up even in the same show but that's the reality of all of these big IPs now. I've decided to just enjoy it for what it is and make some popcorn.

#317 1 year ago

MMMM this series is getting juicy

#318 1 year ago

I'm enjoying it so far. Is it perfect? NO. But I'm enjoying it for what it is.

#319 1 year ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Come on Vader pulling that ship back with ease
    And yoda strained picking an X-Wing out of the swamp!

When 900 years old you reach....

#320 1 year ago

I have a theory that a lot (not all!) of the complaints about the current batch of Star Wars content stem from rosy retrospection.

For example, stormtroopers have always been like human tissue paper. Can you say, "Ewoks"?

WnoPDJ.gifWnoPDJ.gif

The first movie I clearly remember seeing in a theater is Empire Strikes Back. So I'm as nostalgic for Star Wars as anybody, it having been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. If I go back and watch the original trilogy today, however, I can see that it suffers from a lot of the same issues that people tend to complain about in a show like Obi-Wan. But because the original trilogy sits high on a pedestal of fond memory, people tend to remember it as more perfect than it was. Hell, watch the OG movies with someone who's never seen them and doesn't have that nostalgic connection to them, and they'll gladly tell you just how imperfect they are.

Except for Empire, of course. Empire can do no wrong and if you claim otherwise I will fight you in the parking lot.

#321 1 year ago

Return of the Jedi isn't a great film either. No argument there

And yes, Empire is fantastic.

#322 1 year ago

I have a theory that a lot (not all!) of the complaints about the current batch of Star Wars content stem from rosy retrospection.
    For example, stormtroopers have always been like human tissue paper. Can you say, "Ewoks"?
    [quoted image]
    The first movie I clearly remember seeing in a theater is Empire Strikes Back. So I'm as nostalgic for Star Wars as anybody, it having been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. If I go back and watch the original trilogy today, however, I can see that it suffers from a lot of the same issues that people tend to complain about in a show like Obi-Wan. But because the original trilogy sits high on a pedestal of fond memory, people tend to remember it as more perfect than it was. Hell, watch the OG movies with someone who's never seen them and doesn't have that nostalgic connection to them, and they'll gladly tell you just how imperfect they are.
    Except for Empire, of course. Empire can do no wrong and if you claim otherwise I will fight you in the parking lot.

Like pretty much ALL of human existence - the “good ‘ol days” weren’t. I don’t know why, but I still prefer the very first movie to ESB, even though ROTJ was the first one I saw in theaters, and ESB is clearly a superior film in pretty much all aspects. Something about the limited budget and scrappiness of the whole production, alongside George Lucas’ iron grip on the “feel” of the universe. Technology sort of fouled the water, as Star Wars became more successful. I mean, IMO.

That said, I’ve warmed up quite a bit to the animated series - those really are quite good. No, not every episode, but the ones I’m looking back on retroactively; they are worth your time.

#323 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That said, I’ve warmed up quite a bit to the animated series - those really are quite good. No, not every episode, but the ones I’m looking back on retroactively; they are worth your time.

Oh absolutely, I still think the Clone Wars series is some of the best content -- and Ahsoka is the most well-developed character -- in all of Star Wars.

#324 1 year ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

When 900 years old you reach....

Oh I forgot Vader is mostly bionic(high end droid)

#325 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

there's a point where you have to accept

I don’t have to accept a damn thing! Haha

22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    #326 1 year ago

Oh there's no doubt nostalgia plays a huge part in it; But Obi VS. Mando is an easy decision so it's not strictly that.

But yes Stormtroopers have always been useless. And the more you up the ante the worse it gets, now we're looking at 50 Stormtroopers that cant shoot as opoosed to 20; it's so much more recockulus.

#327 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why didn't he do that to the Falcon in Empire Strikes Back?

#328 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Return of the Jedi isn't a great film either. No argument there
    And yes, Empire is fantastic.

Return of the Jedi is fucking awesome. The Jabba scene, Vader vs. Luke vs. Emperor - yeah I get the Ewoks take a toll, but it's right up there.

#329 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Why didn't he do that to the Falcon in Empire Strikes Back?

Much older and weaker is a guess. HE seems to be at the height of his raging powers.

#330 1 year ago

What I don’t understand is why they spent like 20 minutes shooting the door when 3rd Sister Could just cut the damn door open?

And why did she choose that moment to make her move? From like 10 feet away?

There was a lot more of that nonsense in this episode.

#331 1 year ago

Please folks, stop trying to apply logic to science fantasy. Star Wars is just a fairy tale for nerd kids and, at its best, only makes sense emotionally. To think otherwise is to demean yourself and that path leads to the dark side....

#332 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh there's no doubt nostalgia plays a huge part in it; But Obi VS. Mando is an easy decision so it's not strictly that.
    But yes Stormtroopers have always been useless. And the more you up the ante the worse it gets, now we're looking at 50 Stormtroopers that cant shoot as opoosed to 20; it's so much more recockulus.

Well there are different types of troopers now that aren't supposed to be so useless as a bumbling, can't-aim standard Stormtrooper. Such as the Imperial Officer protecting Death Trooper squads introduced in Rogue One. They had their own unique weapons, grenades & encrypted voice speech. Highly tactical & imposing. Pretty cool. Same for the Dark Trooper droids introduced in the Mandalorian. Extremely imposing & difficult to defeat, unless you are Luke Skywalker.

What did Obiwan offer us? The Inquistor Jedi Hunter Stormtroopers. Black suits with red shoulder pads, with lightsaber resistant armor, who lead entire squads & are highly specialized to hunt down Jedi. What did we see? Remember when Obiwan was just standing there holding back the water with all his might? They cracked the door open so the Jedi Hunter could get a shot at him, just 5 feet away, and he completely missed. These hunters were also getting mowed down by the untrained citizens in the last episode. Their armor can stop a lightsaber but not a blaster shot? Poorly written by the writers, no thought put into their execution.

And speaking of lightsabers, why did it take THREE lightsaber strikes from Obiwan in a dark room to take down a simple Stormtrooper? No one on this show is paying attention to these details and it clearly shows. I guess I'm just "toxic" pointing these sloppy errors out.

#333 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To a point of course, but he never displayed the ability to affect that much using the Force (eXpecially vs a Sith head-doucher). He crushed some windpipes & threw some boxes and shit, but I don't think he ever just fucking jacked someone up using force grab...that came later (I think?).

Yep. Disney came along and decided if you have the force - you can pretty much do anything. Throws doubt across everything we knew about characters with this ability - yay!
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gifEAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif

#334 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Yep. Disney came along and decided if you have the force - you can pretty much do anything. Throws doubt across everything we knew about characters with this ability - yay!
    [quoted image]

Lucas started the rediculousness over 20 years ago tho

jump.gifjump.gif
    yoda.gifyoda.gif

Disney just took it way way way too far.

ROCKS.gifROCKS.gif

#335 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Believe me I'm in the "Lucas ruined it" since day 1. Personally I LOVED Force Awakens. Member-berries perfectly done; then the next one purposely ahit all over it.

#336 1 year ago

Just look how she's holding up & flinging 100's of heavy rocks all at once, without any strain on her face whatsoever.

By the opening of the next movie, she's literally levitating, with rocks orbiting all around her. Why does a Jedi need a ship at all now? Just fly like Superman then. Meanwhile superpilot Poe is "lightspeed skipping" the Falcon into completely impossible situations. It's all total garbage.

I'm ready for Andor. Grounded. Underworld. Espionage. Spies. Enough with the spectacle.

#337 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Member-berries

Say what now?

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm ready for Andor. Grounded. Underworld. Espionage. Spies. Enough with the spectacle.

Back when Rogue One came out, I was excited about the possibility of different genre stories set within the Star Wars universe. It's a big universe; not everything needs to center around the Jedi and/or characters we already know.

#338 1 year ago

Give me a Zorii Bliss show.

Back when Rogue One came out, I was excited about the possibility of different genre stories set within the Star Wars universe.

So was I but the screwed the pooch so hard.

#339 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Very true. To this day, I have no idea why he made that decision to go all ape shit on the jedi abilities and turned them into Circus performers.

#340 1 year ago

I rewatched Episode 5 yesterday while I was working & I caught something I didn't the first viewing...

Based on how the 3rd Sister/Vader fight was edited, you can see that not only was she stabbed in the gut by Vader, but she was ALSO stabbed in the gut by Anakin when she was a youngling at the Jedi Temple. That's just completely ridiculous that anyone could survive a lightsaber to the gut, especially a barely trained child, and the fact that she did it TWICE.

The writers on this show need their heads examined.

The writing logic gets even more twisted after she uses vengeance to survive the first wound. She decides to avenge her slain Jedi friends by joining the Inquisitors to get closer to Vader. In the process, she ends up killing countless Jedi & innocent civilians over the years. Yeah that makes sense. End justifies the means right?

What a stupid story & poorly written character. The people involved with this show should never get a crack at a second season.

fleshwound (resized).jpgfleshwound (resized).jpg
    #341 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

you can see that not only was she stabbed in the gut by Vader, but she was ALSO stabbed in the gut by Anakin when she was a youngling at the Jedi Temple.

Between her surviving such a wound twice, as well as the grand inquisitor, this is obviously a newly canon force-ability inspired by Inosuke from Demon Slayer.

edit - /sarcasm if it wasn't obvious

287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I rewatched Episode 5 yesterday while I was working & I caught something I didn't the first viewing...
    Based on how the 3rd Sister/Vader fight was edited, you can see that not only was she stabbed in the gut by Vader, but she was ALSO stabbed in the gut by Anakin when she was a youngling at the Jedi Temple. That's just completely ridiculous that anyone could survive a lightsaber to the gut, especially a barely trained child, and the fact that she did it TWICE.
    The writers on this show need their heads examined.
    The writing logic gets even more twisted after she uses vengeance to survive the first wound. She decides to avenge her slain Jedi friends by joining the Inquisitors to get closer to Vader. In the process, she ends up killing countless Jedi & innocent civilians over the years. Yeah that makes sense. End justifies the means right?
    What a stupid story & poorly written character. The people involved with this show should never get a crack at a second season.
    [quoted image]

That’s why I was saying in an earlier post that I’m jealous of people who can watch this crap and enjoy it because if you watch an episode and then literally just do something as simple as

say out loud what you just watched

it’s the stupidest shit on TV.

#343 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

That’s why I was saying in an earlier post that I’m jealous of people who can watch this crap and enjoy it because if you watch an episode and then literally just do something as simple as
    say out loud what you just watched
    it’s the stupidest shit on TV.

iib (resized).jpgiib (resized).jpg
    #344 1 year ago

At this point I’m looking for good moments and doing my best to just give all those conflicting elements a pass. It’s not that I don’t notice them.

For instance, obi wan knowing anakin’s weakness and desire to win quickly and using that to help defeat him is an awesome moment. Watching them spar again was great. I think the deep fake tech wasn’t perfect here but I loved the lightsaber fighting!

#345 1 year ago

I’m more into the show than I expected to be given the subject matter.

Since well before Rogue One I’ve felt that we need more Vader like we need another Death Star, which is absolutely not at all. When I tell you how hard my eyes rolled at the end of R1 with Vader carving up a couple dozen hapless Rebels, the scene reverently rendered with nearly religious worshipfulness by the film makers lol! I can still feel the second-hand embarrassment!

I think we should have been done with Vader after Twilight of the Apprentice. Because that was when Ahsoka, with the help of Team Filoni, finally accomplished the entire point of what prequels set out to do but failed - to make us feel the tragedy of losing Anakin to the dark side. That pair of episodes was perfection, and I don’t think the SW universe would be diminished if that had been the last appearance Vader ever made.

I can't really fault any of the criticisms based on the mechanical aspects of the story, like how-so-and-so failed to capture an easy target, how so-and-so escaped, how so-and-so died or didn't die. Plenty of silliness there jumped out at me, *but* I'll let you know when I see anything in Kenobi that's as stupid as Han yelling at the top of his lungs while running down a hallway and around a blind corner headlong into the sights of a full squad of stormtroopers who knew he was coming - because of the yelling - and have their weapons trained on him and at the ready the instant he comes into view, at which point he skids to a halt, turns around, and successfully runs away without getting turned into a fine mist of blood, bone, and burnt flesh.

Standard Star Wars space opera spaghetti western silliness aside, I think it's pretty good when it comes to the character aspects. Especially the main one, where we see how Obi-Wan is a shell of his former self in hiding on Tatooine, while knowing who he will have become by the time we meet him in Ep IV.

I'm puzzled by the people who dislike the show's choice of the haunted, hollowed-out, ptsd-ridden state that Obi-Wan starts out from. I've read complaints in this thread that he's nothing like his Ep IV self? Or that they removed his masculine qualities? He's a cuck? (btw way to out yourself with the use of that word) I mean, what the hell? Is an actual human inner struggle too real? Is it just too upsetting to see our childhood heroes realistically suffering from and dealing with trauma? I really don't know where those comments are coming from, but I think it's vastly more interesting storytelling to portray heroes dealing with and emerging from real weakness, fear, and turmoil, rather than just stacking bodies with a smirk and a tagline.

Kenobi is the Hero's Journey(tm) again, like every Star Wars story told to date - we start the show being shown his post-Order 66 state of being while he watches kid Luke on Tatooine and we already know we'll end the show with him right back on Tatooine watching kid Luke, but as a changed man.

In my mind the show's true title is "How Obi-Wan got his Groove Back."

#346 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

*but* I'll let you know when I see anything in Kenobi that's as stupid as Han yelling at the top of his lungs while running down a hallway and around a blind corner...

Um, did you see the parts where Vader stopped, toyed with, and then ripped a part a Troop Transport spaceship with his mind but couldn't drag Obi 3 feet over some coals?

#347 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Um, did you see the parts where Vader stopped, toyed with, and then ripped a part a Troop Transport spaceship with his mind but couldn't drag Obi 3 feet over some coals?

I saw that part haha! And no, that's not dumber than Han's Hilarious Hallway Hurryup(tm), sorry! 6yo me ate that moment up, rolled around laughing, and re-enacted it dozens of times. I love every second of it, but it's beyond dumb.

Wrong word though. It's "didn't." Your guess is as good as mine as to why he didn't, but it sure wasn't because he couldn't.

#348 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

...Your guess is as good as mine as to why he didn't, but it sure wasn't because he couldn't.

Ha so you're expecting a "look back" montage of the reason he could've bit didn't coming up? Might actually happen with this show.

#349 1 year ago

Was there even AI used in that Anakin model? It just looked like old Anakin to me. When they first started those scenes, I actually thought it might be some alternate reality Anakin (or ObiWan) were daydreaming about.

#350 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Different planets allow you to wield the force to varying strengths. Duh!

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-/page/7?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.