Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 483 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-wars-luke-skywalker.gif
    notagain (resized).png
    notthis (resized).jpg
    F18E3501-6A0F-4C0D-9227-113B82AB6C75 (resized).jpeg
    iib (resized).jpg
    287F5EB1-EA00-4094-B315-2570507B5A6A (resized).jpeg
    fleshwound (resized).jpg
    ROCKS.gif
    yoda.gif
    jump.gif
    EAD3431E-5AA6-4606-9047-36F32A43E5A3.gif
    22223408-AA5E-4C64-ABDF-96AB868BBFFB (resized).jpeg
    WnoPDJ.gif
    hdgonk (resized).png
    gonk (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 1 year ago

I know it’s impossible for pinsiders to watch YouTube videos more than 30 seconds long but I’m gonna risk it like a death save in an IFPA tourney.

This is a good summation of how awful the writing is.

This guy does a great job of calling out Disney on all the crap they pull with Star Wars.

I know my 4 or 5 downvoters wont watch it but for those that see through the crap of what this show is, it’s nice seeing someone else articulate it like they do.

Can’t wait for the next mess they release this Wednesday

#252 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:Can we all at least agree that “Ben Kenobi” is probably the laziest alias ever.
    I feel like when Luke hears his name the line might as well have been:
    “Obi-wan Kenobi?…. I wonder if she means OBI-WAN Kenobi?…”

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClarkKenting

#253 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I know it’s impossible for pinsiders to watch YouTube videos more than 30 seconds long but I’m gonna risk it like a death save in an IFPA tourney.
    This is a good summation of how awful the writing is.
    This guy does a great job of calling out Disney on all the crap they pull with Star Wars.
    I know my 4 or 5 downvoters wont watch it but for those that see through the crap of what this show is, it’s nice seeing someone else articulate it like they do.
    Can’t wait for the next mess they release this Wednesday

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that. Both of those channels are just bitching all the time. I'm not going to give them views.

#254 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch that. Both of those channels are just bitching all the time. I'm not going to give them views.

1DA873BA-C2CE-46B5-AACD-C64D6094C258.jpeg1DA873BA-C2CE-46B5-AACD-C64D6094C258.jpeg

It’s one thing to just bitch to bitch but if all the points you make are legit it’s not really bitching its more like a review of how awful something is.

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's not a great watch. I've said it before, any media can be interesting independent of the plot if performed, shot, and paced well. This show is full of stupid moments that pull me out of the story. Turncoat imperial lady awkwardly fighting/escaping stormtroopers as they're just like "oh no we're being defeated", scenes dedicated to how to disable a force field gate that they could have simply walked around - just moments that leave me wondering if the producers assume the audience is stupid, or if they really can't come up with anything better.

stupid obiwan (resized).pngstupid obiwan (resized).png
    #256 1 year ago

Well, thanks to everyone's feedback here, I decided to bypass this show and just cancel Disney+. I'm tired of them running everything into the ground, but I think that's one of the perils of this streaming age we're in; you can just keep cranking out crap and people will still lap it up because they already paid the monthly fee so why not?

I think this is the first time Pinside actually saved me money...

#257 1 year ago

Hayden has a real big part...too bad. Basically, he isn't in it. Worst dinsey show ever

#258 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, thanks to everyone's feedback here, I decided to bypass this show and just cancel Disney+.

Funny, I was literally doing this as well.
    It’s all about generating content - and if it’s average content, that’s ok with Disney.

Plenty of great SW novels out there that tell excellent and compelling stories.

#259 1 year ago

It peaked when the guy fell onto the laser beam gate and got sliced in half. Getting worse and worse since then.

#260 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think this is the first time Pinside actually saved me money.

You guys crack me up-what did you save Boob? Like $8 a month-now you can take that money and buy a cheeseburger with fries-still not enough to add a soda that will cost you $10

Disney is ruining everything-blah blah blah

#261 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

You guys crack me up-what did you save Boob? Like $8 a month-now you can take that money and buy a cheeseburger with fries-still not enough to add a soda that will cost you $10
    Disney is ruining everything-blah blah blah

Vote with your wallet.

#262 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Vote with your wallet.

If you want to see some interesting stuff happening behind the scenes at Disney, you can read about how the current CEO is firing executives who are considered potential replacements as speculation about his contract not being renewed gains momentum. Sounds pretty toxic in the magic kingdom.

#263 1 year ago

Dont want to derail the Obi Wan topic but, the creative minds at DIsney are just way too far removed from Walt's designs and wishes.
    It's very sad. All of these executives are wall street types and none are WED types.

I am one of those kids that loved Star Wars and had the toys in the 70's; Making what Kathleen Kennedy is doing unpallatable.

Regardless, that 4th episode had some insanely stupid moments.

#264 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It peaked when the guy fell onto the laser beam gate and got sliced in half. Getting worse and worse since then.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #265 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

So...how many people can fit in a snowspeeder?
    [quoted image]

Thank you for the laugh. I had not considered this. I was too distracted by the other nonsensical things in that scene, like floating snowspeeders, hiding a child under an oversized trench coat, effortlessly escaping an entire legion of troops, etc. The Obiwan show is full of this crap.

This is what happens when you don't play by the established rules of your fantasy universe. Adding things like hyperspace skipping, lightspeed ship ramming, force healing, force object transportation, mental force projection, on & on. Pure hot garbage. Thanks Kennedy!

#266 1 year ago

Or, you know, it’s a TV Show. You people need to get over yourselves.

#267 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Or, you know, it’s a TV Show. You people need to get over yourselves.

Why so defensive over a TV show?

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Why so defensive over a TV show?

I think that was actually his point

#269 1 year ago

Married with Children is a TV show
    Obi-Wan is part of Star Wars
    Theres a different weight to it

#270 1 year ago

So... as a grown ass man watching the show, I am underwhelmed. As a parent with 3 kids, the whole family has been enjoying the show. Yes, some of it is bad... really bad, but overall it is still entertaining. Remember who the target audience is on this.

#271 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... as a grown ass man watching the show, I am underwhelmed. As a parent with 3 kids, the whole family has been enjoying the show. Yes, some of it is bad... really bad, but overall it is still entertaining. Remember who the target audience is on this.

Good perspective. I mean it's still pretty cringey... and when compared with the (so far) super creative Ms. Marvel show (which they release the SAME DAY!! I bet the Obi Wan team is regretting that), it's just not on the same level. But hell it's only 6 episodes, barely noticeable these days. And it is hilarious to me how many people are out there going "I'm done watching this show..." and then are back the next week complaining about the latest episode! The old guys are the ones complaining, and the kids who grew up watching Clone Wars and the Prequels are doing fine.

Anyway, watch Ms. Marvel - it's right out of the "Into the Spider-Verse" style and so far it's been very engaging.

#272 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think that was actually his point

How so?

#273 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anyway, watch Ms. Marvel - it's right out of the "Into the Spider-Verse" style and so far it's been very engaging.

Yeah, there's some fun to be had in that show. Only one episode in, but there seems to be a lot of love from the content producers on what they put to screen. I'm not sure I'm the target demographic for it, but appreciate what they're going for.

There's a lot of good TV content out there right now. I'm not a trekkie in the slightest, but Star Trek Strange New Worlds is also some quality content.

#274 1 year ago

Star Wars is pure brand equity at this point... the number of people involved in "creating" content is so far beyond nuts. Big ol' corporations have to work within their structure, their requirements, their mission, and vision. Anything coming through that corporate sieve will have the same feel. You'll get a few stand-outs once in a blue moon... but it will be rare.

#275 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Star Wars is pure brand equity at this point... the number of people involved in "creating" content is so far beyond nuts. Big ol' corporations have to work within their structure, their requirements, their mission, and vision. Anything coming through that corporate sieve will have the same feel. You'll get a few stand-outs once in a blue moon... but it will be rare.

You're right, and it's unfortunate how far-reaching this approach is. Marvel Films, another Disney property, feels much the same. And then every other studio learning the wrong lesson and trying their own hand at a "cinematic universe" with pretty middling to terrible results.

#276 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Pretty truthful. I think the Taika Waititi films stand out a bit since he has a very distinctive style, and for some reason they let him go much more wild than the other directors (e.g. Edgar Wright, Derrickson, etc). But anything as huge as these films are going to be marathons of communication, and telephone, telegram, tell an actor...

#277 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty truthful. I think the Taika Waititi films stand out a bit since he has a very distinctive style, and for some reason they let him go much more wild than the other directors (e.g. Edgar Wright, Derrickson, etc). But anything as huge as these films are going to be marathons of communication, and telephone, telegram, tell an actor...

I still feel robbed in regards to Edgar Wright - just imagining how fun Ant Man could have been if they were comfortable letting him do his thing. And hey, I have no idea if it would have been good, but I think Lord & Miller's Han Solo film could have been at least interesting.

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I still feel robbed in regards to Edgar Wright - just imagining how fun Ant Man could have been if they were comfortable letting him do his thing. And hey, I have no idea if it would have been good, but I think Lord & Miller's Han Solo film could have been at least interesting.

... which shines a light on another problem with big corporations... they are risk adverse. Lucas could always take a risk... it was his own money (whether people liked it or if it worked out... it was his gain/loss... and he could care less).

#279 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

... which shines a light on another problem with big corporations... they are risk adverse. Lucas could always take a risk... it was his own money (whether people liked it or if it worked out... it was his gain/loss).

Funny that it echoes exactly what Lord & Miller had to say: https://www.avclub.com/chris-miller-and-phil-lord-talk-solo-a-star-wars-story-1848504533

"“You can’t play scared,” Miller added. “So, I don’t really relate to some fear of a fanbase. We don’t think about it that way. There are people out there, I suppose, that are trying to game the marketplace and follow a formula. They’re trying to serve the quarterly earnings of a big company, but a company doesn’t make a movie or write a song, these things are made by human beings, and we’re always trying to serve the human beings making the movie and the human beings witnessing the movie, always remembering, what you’re putting out there, that’s only half of it. The other half is, there’s a person in a movie theater and you’re beaming sound and light into their face and they make the movie in their brain. So you have to understand that as a relationship and a conversation, put yourselves into the shoes of that person.”"

#280 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Wright is one of the few bright spots of modern filmmaking. He knows what he is doing.

Having said that, I am a little worried about his Running Man film he is attached to. All Arnold films that have been remade, are shit.

#281 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Wright is one of the few bright spots of modern filmmaking. He knows what he is doing.
    Having said that, I am a little worried about his Running Man film he is attached to. All Arnold films that have been remade, are shit.

...most remakes are horrible, but there is enough of a market (<--- corporate money grab ---> ) that they can be worth the investment. There are usually enough people curious about them to make them work... they have a short shelf-life and are easily forgettable.

#282 1 year ago

Remember who the target audience is on this.

I get so tired of this defense.

Lucas even said the same thing when he was getting ripped for bad writing, child actors & Jar-Jar Biinks in Episode 1.... well these are just kids movies after all.

Well so are Pixar movies, but they knew the golden rule right from the start. The target audience is always the adults. Their kids are going to like the movie regardless. You hire great writers to create great stories & characters that entertain the adults, then keep the families coming back, and keep buying the merchandise. Movie after movie, as the awards pile up, Pixar has been repeating the formula & striking gold for decades.

If you want to watch kiddie stuff, go watch Nickelodeon.

#283 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I get so tired of this defense.
    Lucas even said the same thing when he was getting ripped for bad writing, child actors & Jar-Jar Biinks in Episode 1.... well these are just kids movies after all.
    Well so are Pixar movies, but they knew the golden rule right from the start. The target audience is always the adults. Their kids are going to like the movie regardless. You hire great writers to create great stories & characters that entertain the adults, then keep the families coming back, and keep buying the merchandise. Movie after movie, as the awards pile up, Pixar has been repeating the formula & striking gold for decades.
    If you want to watch kiddie stuff, go watch Nickelodeon.

Plus, many kids are not as dumb and simple-minded as some presume, and actually get and enjoy the adult humor. I'm not saying I got everything, but as a kid I enjoyed the heck out of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Even today that stuff holds up, it is funny as hell for any age. There are tons of examples like that.

#284 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well so are Pixar movies, but they knew the golden rule right from the start. The target audience is always the adults.

That is exactly what Walt Disney said.

#285 1 year ago

EP 5 is out now

LOTS of VADER

#286 1 year ago

Perspective is everything…..as adults we see how bad the show really is. As another comparison I always watched The Dukes of Hazzard with my parents when is was 6-8 years old and to me it was the most amazing show EVER….now having watched a few episodes as an adult it has not aged well as a show…it’s pretty horrible actually and I am sure my parents thought the same back then but it was entertaining and time we spent together as a family.

#287 1 year ago

Me too - loved Dukes of Hazzard as a kid but hard to watch now.

#288 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

Same! lol

#289 1 year ago

Thank god for that episode I was seriously about to quit Star Wars.

After 4 episodes of 15-30% it felt pretty damn good to see a show that I would grade as an 85%

#290 1 year ago

Wow, I'm really excited for episode 6 now. Great to see this turn around.

#291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

Wow, I'm really excited for episode 6 now. Great to see this turn around.

Totally agree! With most shows if they have a bummer episode I think “eh. Ok well I hope next week is better.” With this show it’s like “OMG STAR WARS IS OVER MY LIFE IS A LIE!” Perhaps we can find a place to meet in the middle and not take it so seriously

But that was a pretty good episode, I even dug Hayden Christiansen in their lightsaber duel, and said to my wife I wish they had more time where Anakin isn’t such a major asshat. He’s halfway decent in Clone Wars for example

#292 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

Knight Rider is even worse. Only old show that I can stand to watch is Fantasy Island.

#293 1 year ago
    gonk (resized).jpggonk (resized).jpghdgonk (resized).pnghdgonk (resized).png
    #294 1 year ago

Really wish the folks at Disney would cough up the money to use the Imperial theme at least once for Vader.

#295 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Really wish the folks at Disney would cough up the money to use the Imperial theme at least once for Vader.

Why would they have to pay for it? They own the rights to it, no?

#296 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why would they have to pay for it? They own the rights to it, no?

Who knows. I would guess John Williams would still need to be paid for new renditions.

#297 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Knight Rider is even worse. Only old show that I can stand to watch is Fantasy Island.

HAHAH That is so true. I tried to put on Knight Rider the other day, and ... oh wow. Just nope! I have watched a bunch of the Incredible Hulk episodes, and that really was a good show through and through. There are a few episodes which are hugely bad, but they were also bad back then (see: the Evil Hulk episode)

#298 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

That's on purpose. They are also using .. whats' the word. .fragmented? versions of Leia's and Obi-wan's themes. It's meant to show - particularly in the case of Vader - how he's not yet the character we are used to. They also specifically chose to put Hayden (and a stuntman) in the suit without making him look taller because he's supposed to be not quite as imposing yet. I think this might have been a better idea on paper than in practice.

#299 1 year ago

Its quiet in here. Did Episode 5 silence the haters? Or maybe they already gave up on it.

I thought it was a fantastic episode. Loved the Darth Vader scenes and how the Reva story instantly is upgraded with her plot twist.

A little disappointed ep 6 will be last episode as now I feel like story is just picking up. But I did read final episode is like hour and 40 minutes.

#300 1 year ago
    Quoted from HFK:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Can I preorder tickets yet?

Looking forward to a rewatch of episode 5. I can't say that the "twist" really came as much of a surprise, but seeing Vader go nuts with his Force powers was awesome.

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.