(Topic ID: 336063)

Are you a gearhead near Indianapolis? If so may I ask a favor... UPDATE: done

By goingincirclez

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1000000677 (resized).jpg
    1000000669 (resized).jpg
    1000000683 (resized).jpg
    20221111_115140 (resized).jpg
    20230418_120838 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

The Pull-A-Part self-serve yard in Indianapolis just listed a '75 Lincoln Continental they placed in the yard on April 28. But the only detail given is "Color: Other" - not even the body type (4dr, 2dr, or MkIV?)... I contacted them to plead for more info but that led absolutely nowhere.

My nice original '75 MarkIV could use a few spiff parts, most critically a dark blue leather rear seat. Odds are quite low this Indy parts car is suitable BUT... ya never know, right? These cars almost never turn up in yards, but the one that finally did exactly matches my year (when a range from 72-79 could theoretically work) so maybe that's a sign...?

SO if you'd be able and kind enough to look and shoot a few pics to see if this car would be worth my 6hr round trip, I'll venmo (or paypal, or zelle, or whatever you prefer) for your time & gas. The yard is just north of I-70, east of the I-65 split. I've been to the Pull-A-Part in Louisville and it's well managed, safe, and surprisingly clean and pleasant for a junkyard: you can walk around and not get a lick of dirt on you (unless you're actually pulling parts of course). PM me if you can help. Thank you!

#2 11 months ago

Bump for the evening after-work crowd, and to show the patient I'd like parts for

20230418_120838 (resized).jpg20230418_120838 (resized).jpg
    #3 11 months ago

You don't want a leather seat anyway.
    That car deserves the full velour treatment.
    Nothing says mid 70's full size automotive luxury like velour.

(What kind of parts yard doesn't have at least decent inventory info? GLWC!)

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

(What kind of parts yard doesn't have at least decent inventory info? GLWC!)

That's the kicker: 95% of the cars they list have at least the basic things like color/trim, body, and/or drivetrain type specified. So of COURSE the one I want, is even more conspicuous by this glaring omission aaugggh!

As for velour, you're not wrong! It might even be more comfortable. And while I don't think the leather in mine was the Reech Corin-thian variety, it's better than Naughahide at least! I've really come to like it: it's very soft and supple, and of course BLUE.

Unfortunately it seems a mishap with a "closet dehumidifier" placed while the car was in storage years ago, has caused part of the rear seatback to plasticize and shrink terribly over the years since... needless to say, trying to get a proper replacement one made would probably cost more than the damn car is worth There's other trim bits and end odds I wouldn't mind sourcing if they turned up too. I have a van and can stock up... just need to know what's there!

#5 11 months ago

I'm actually in Bloomington or I would.

#6 11 months ago

And that's why you da MAN! Well that and your bitchin music taste. I owe ya for the thought bud!

#7 11 months ago

You do get bonus points for having a landau top.

#8 11 months ago

Land Yacht..

#9 11 months ago

Nice! I hope you find someone

#10 11 months ago

This sounds like something TaskRabbit could be good for?

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

You do get bonus points for having a landau top.

All MarkIV's had them, but a nerdy bit of trivia finds that the details & alignment changed each year from 72-76. 1975 had the full roof, but with body color (metal) visible over the windshield and doors.

Funny enough, while everyone consigns "vinyl roofs" to the dustbin of bad automotive fads, that might be the one feature everyone who sees this car tends to universally, sincerely admire without fault. An example of tacky done right, I suppose?

More than the dated roof and styling, the amazing thing to me about these cars is just how colorful they all were. You could mix-and-match body, roof, and interior from seemingly 2 dozen colors AND various hues therein. Almost "no two alike"; some combos were gorgeous and others just hideous! I personally love the combo on mine, which coincidentally happens to be one of the rarest. But what a world that was: today for the outside you get 6 shades of gray, plus white and black, and maybe a subdued red or blue if you're lucky. Inside you get black, gray, or beige. Boo.

OTOH that wide variety of the past is what makes finding certain parts extraordinarily difficult...

Quoted from bruinfan:

This sounds like something TaskRabbit could be good for?

I think I heard about that service a long time ago but not needing it then, I forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder! If the pinhead-gearhead overlap doesn't pan out I may have to try it.

#12 11 months ago

My dad had a Lincoln continental, must have been early 80s. I remember thinking i couldn’t wait to be an old man, so I could have one too. And the ride on that thing—like driving on clouds. Good memories!

#13 11 months ago

I wish you well. An acquaintance of mine has several Continentals. Well built and very luxurious for its time

20221111_115140 (resized).jpg20221111_115140 (resized).jpg
    #14 11 months ago
    Quoted from bruinfan:

the ride on that thing—like driving on clouds. Good memories!

Yeah, it's super comfy. But it's surprisingly stable at hustling speeds in the twisties, provided you know the road well enough to supply your steering inputs in advance I've taken mine on some... limit-pushing drives... and it's butt-puckering fun of a whole different sort. Not something to do routinely though. Mostly I like the floating.

Would love to do the Tail of the Dragon but that's so overrun these days, and I've seen so many vids of carvers crossing the line in both sports cars and (especially) bikes that... I fear it wouldn't end well through no fault of my own

Quoted from MiSC90:

I wish you well. An acquaintance of mine has several Continentals. Well built and very luxurious for its time
    [quoted image]

Oh wow, that one is sharp! III's are scarce enough with a metal roof, and that color is sublime: never seen one like that before! Thanks for sharing. I generally prefer the III overall due to its bruisey, squared-off look, with heritage character lines classily intergrated into the fenders and rocker. Just a great design. And it had real wood too, before safety regs begat the fantastic faux-plastic.

Anyway, thanks for the well wish... hoping this bump bears fruit but looking into Taskrabbit now. My May schedule is a disaster owing to my 18yo daughter graduating HS/stem academy along with the 15yo's various end-of-school/activity commitments through the rest of the month... so I might have to claim this Sat AM as my sole opportunity for a desperate gamble.

#15 10 months ago

Thanks to the TaskRabbit suggestion, I got someone to head over there this morning!

Sadly, the car turns out to be a yellow 4d and thus is not a directly suitable match. And what common parts I'd already figured could be worth a trip (carb, dash controls & modules, etc) are possibly the ONLY things nicked after just a few days. Of farking course!

1000000669 (resized).jpg1000000669 (resized).jpg1000000677 (resized).jpg1000000677 (resized).jpg

But it does have turbine wheels which I always thought were cool... OTOH whoever busted the hood ornament free ALSO nicked the center caps because yay, which will probably cost as much by themselves to source separately, as the wheels.

Oddly enough though, the back seat leather looks to be in superb salvageable shape... so am I dumb enough to think yellow could be dyed into blue...???! I know the seat isn't a 100% accurate fit but if the material could be dyed to match, just having that would be well more than half the battle. Hmm.

1000000683 (resized).jpg1000000683 (resized).jpg

Anyway. For the record, I was prepared to pay ~$50-75 to someone to go over there. The TR person only charged $20 for the hour. So I tipped him the balance separately; I was a little annoyed and dismayed that TaskRabbit doesn't provide a way to custom tip more than 25%. These gig apps are kind of a trap racket which is why I generally avoid them. But I was glad to be reminded of it in this case... thanks again bruinfan

#16 10 months ago

Town car...........way off from a Marc III

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/o-t-any-gearheads-near-indianapolis-need-a-favor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.