Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1829 (resized).JPG
IMG_1828 (resized).JPG
IMG_1827 (resized).JPG
IMG_1826 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Working on a Bally space time and my 0-9 unit coil is charged to a crisp. The schematic called for coil B-26-1100. Great. I order one with some other parts I need. It came in yesterday and I tried to install it and it totally does not fit properly.the old coil sleeve was metal and this one is plastic not sure if this matters as even without the coil sleeve the coil won't fit. The old charged coil reads C-815-2. Did I order the wrong coil or am I missing something obvious?

#2 7 years ago

It doesn't matter if the sleeve is metal or plastic. The main issues for coil fit are the length of the coil and the coil case diameter. In some cases, the placement of the solder lugs is also a factor.

If the new coil length is too long to fit in the bracket end-to-end, then either it's the wrong coil or something has been modified on your stepper unit. Can you post pics of the stepper bracket and the old and new coil?

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

I will tonight. I am almost positive it is the wrong coil. Solder lugs are not a factor as I tried the coil in different positions. I ordered the coil from Marco. What was coil C-815-2 replaced with? I couldn't find it on coil refrence. Although the schematic clearly calls for B-26-1100 it would not be the first time a schematic has been printed wrong.

#4 7 years ago

B-26-1100 was the "new" Bally coil number for the step-up of a standard-sized unit, such as a coin unit or replay unit. If your game has a 00-90 unit using the smaller stepper (made from the same baseplate as the score unit), then I agree that a B-26-1100 would not be the right coil.

I don't know what the "new" coil number is for a C-815-2 coil, but I do know that the score unit stepper takes a CD-29-1600 coil.

If your 00-90 is similar to your score units, then I would say you need a CD-29-1600. However, be aware that the picture of Space Time on IPDB shows what looks to me like a standard stepper baseplate for the 00-90 unit in that game:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2262&picno=30253&zoom=1

#5 7 years ago

IMG_1826 (resized).JPGIMG_1826 (resized).JPG

IMG_1827 (resized).JPGIMG_1827 (resized).JPG

IMG_1828 (resized).JPGIMG_1828 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

That's a standard-size Bally stepper, so the B-26-1100 should fit.

I don't happen to have a B-26-1100 on hand at the moment, but many of the stock solenoid coils in EM games are 1.5 inches long, with Bally coils usually being a tiny bit (1/32") longer.

If you want to be 100% sure, compare your new coil to the step-up coil in your replay unit - they should be the same length. If the new coil you have is longer, then it isn't a suitable replacement for a Bally B-26-1100.

If the new coil is the correct length but it doesn't fit, then someone has probably modified the baseplate of your 00-90 stepper unit. Most often this is done by bending the front coil bracket toward the face of the coil.

For reference, you can compare your 00-90 stepper baseplate to your replay unit baseplate to see if it has been modified. The stuff that holds the step-up coil in place should be the same on both units.

- TimMe

#7 7 years ago

The original B26-1100 is a bit smaller then the other coils Bally used.
That is why I always order by the original number AND letter.
Other coils are just a bit to high to fit, very frustrating.
So, the replacement you got is not the original you need...

#8 7 years ago

Ya. Side by side you can see that the new coil B-26-1100 is a bit longer. Is there a different coil that works well in this unit or should I bend the base plate? Thanks for the responces. Or...... should I jack the b-26-1100 out of my replay unit (set to free play) and put this new longer coil in there? This 00-90 unit gets used a lot in this game and that replay unit coil won't be used nearly as much and I don't mind bending those plates as hopefully I won't have to mess with it much in the future being set to free play?

#9 7 years ago

The coil-swapping idea is good in principle, but I have never had much luck getting a too-long coil to fit in a bracket space made for a shorter coil.

- TimMe

#10 7 years ago

I guess I'm mis understanding.....I thought wizardbolm ment that the original coil B-26-1100 and the new coil produced (under the same name) B-26-1100 were different in length? If this is accurate....and they are labeled the same on the schematic and produced during the same time frame (original manufacture date) then they should be the same length and swapable?

IMG_1829 (resized).JPGIMG_1829 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

It does not matter. I got it fixed for now. Put some tape around it to act as a coil wrapper in the mean time while I find the correct coil. Although it was charged it still works, just an eye soar. I found and addressed the reason it was fried in the first place so at least it won't happen again when I do find the correct coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/o-9-unit-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.