Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Aladdin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Where did the rubber nuts come from? Were they factory on any games?
Looking at flyers and pictures (specifically flyers of Jungle Lord or Black Knight on ipdb ) - I see both in use.
Did they switch over at a certain point?

Thanks for any info on making my machines period correct.

#2 9 years ago

The rubber nuts was a Bally thing from the early solid state games for sure. Gottlieb used metal acorns from what i have seen. I am not sure about Williams.

I like the rubber nuts.

#3 9 years ago

Rubber easier and better IMO

#4 9 years ago

^^^^^ yes!

#5 9 years ago

While the rubber are easier, I like the look of the nylon acorn nuts on classic Bally and Williams SS games, which I believe is what came originally on most of the classic Williams and Bally SS games.

Keep in mind I like even better the nickel plated speed nuts on Gottlieb EM games.

Originality all the way for me.

#6 9 years ago

Nothing looks better than chrome acorns.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback/opinions. I guess referring to flyers is the best bet for 'going original'.
I'm not sure the machines they used for the flyer photoshoot would have matched the production games though. At the rate they were turning them out - they may have used what they could keep in stock.

#8 9 years ago

I like the white rubber caps for two reasons. The first is they are easy to remove without tools. Secondly, since it's not holding tight, if a ball hits a plastic from below (above a drop target) it lets the plastic move up and hopefully keeps the plastic from breaking.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I like the white rubber caps for two reasons. The first is they are easy to remove without tools. Secondly, since it's not holding tight, if a ball hits a plastic from below (above a drop target) it lets the plastic move up and hopefully keeps the plastic from breaking.

And to mix it up I dislike the rubber caps for those same two reasons. I find the black plastic acorns looks good on my SI and are easy enough to install/remove by hand.

#10 9 years ago

I think they look nicer, but those white rubber caps will eventually end up in the ball trough and clog things up. I try to use the nylon acorn nuts because they stay on even when they are only finger tight.

#11 9 years ago

I use rubber caps while shopping a game.
Once complete, I use nylon acorns or chrome acorns.
-mof

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I think they look nicer, but those white rubber caps will eventually end up in the ball trough and clog things up. I try to use the nylon acorn nuts because they stay on even when they are only finger tight.

Although I agree with the shock absorbing comment on the rubber nuts, this ^^ has happened a few times to me on my Taxi. I would rather go with plastic protectors and good old fashioned chrome or nylon acorn nuts

#13 9 years ago

Chrome and white to me both look nicer than the rubber barrels.

but don't go throwing rubber all away. they come in real handy when you remove a switch stack and want to keep it together. just leave one screw in and slam a rubber barrel on the other end.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Chrome and white to me both look nicer than the rubber barrels.
but don't go throwing rubber all away. they come in real handy when you remove a switch stack and want to keep it together. just leave one screw in and slam a rubber barrel on the other end.

That's a great tip. Thanks.

#15 9 years ago

I also think the color of the game matters a little. My WH20 has white rubber barrels on it and it works with the color scheme...I don;t think those are standard with the game

#16 9 years ago

has anyone figured out how to get old dingy nuts white again?

#17 9 years ago

try lighterfuild

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

has anyone figured out how to get old dingy nuts white again?

Good old soap & water keeps my nuts sparkling clean.

#19 9 years ago

I use the nylon ones, but hate them cause they are a pain to get on and off. But they are cheap and look nice. You just can't overly tighten them or kiss your plastics goodbye.

#20 9 years ago

I'm going to put the chrome ones back on my Elektra, but use tiny rubber o-rings under them to prevent the plastics from breaking.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

I'm going to put the chrome ones back on my Elektra, but use tiny rubber o-rings under them to prevent the plastics from breaking.

That sounds like a great answer to me. Tiny, but as thick of an o-ring as you can find in that small of a diameter

#22 9 years ago

I could even use my son's used rubber bands from his braces!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nylon-acorns-postnuts-vs-rubber-nuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.