Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ROMM
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Anyone buy one of these NW7 boards yet? Thinking I'd might try one in my Alien Poker.
    Curious to see how they have been holding up first. They sure do look great!

#2 5 years ago

Interesting board, i dont know anyome that has one but they do seem a bit more costly than the rottendog ones.

#3 5 years ago

I never even knew this was a thing.

It’d be nice if these new boards could enhance rules like the Pascal Boards did for System 1 games. Then I could justify the cost.

#4 5 years ago

I like the fact it has the sound/speech included on this board over the Rottendog.
    My sound going in/out has been a PITA over the past year.
    I've already replaced connectors, cleaned the headers and reflowed solder and it still goes out and back on at will (sound/speech).

I noticed that Rottendog has removed support on System 7 games for now on their combo MPU/Driver board for some reason.

Not to say that the NW7 board is issue free either as I've not heard feedback from anyone that has one yet.

#5 5 years ago

Who's selling these boards in the USA?

#7 5 years ago

Very good question wdennie!

#8 5 years ago

I've ordered side rails from pinball dreams without issue, a board should be that much easier to ship. Buy direct and buy with confidence.

#9 5 years ago

Can you post a link so we can buy direct please?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Can you post a link so we can buy direct please?

Here ya go.

https://www.pinball-dreams.com

-Mike

#11 5 years ago

Board does look tempting. How much is it in US Dollars?
    I downloaded the manual for it and it was printed Nov 2017.
    Someone on Pinside must have bought/tried one of these boards by now.
    Any feedback?
    I also see they are made in France.
    Qui! Qui!

#12 5 years ago

It says 389 Euros on the site, which would come out to $443.01 USD. Not sure how much shipping is. Very interesting product, i like that the 40-pin connector is eliminated, and that they integrated the sound board into it as well.

#13 5 years ago

If price was a little better on this for USA. I'd try one out.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

It says 389 Euros on the site, which would come out to $443.01 USD. Not sure how much shipping is. Very interesting product, i like that the 40-pin connector is eliminated, and that they integrated the sound board into it as well.

Yes, my sound card has been flaky too so this would be a welcome board but I'd like to see if anyone has bought this board yet to get a review.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I'd like to see if anyone has bought this board yet to get a review

That's cheating, how bout you be the guinea pig and report back? Then we'll all know
    -Mike

#16 5 years ago

I've actually found the problem with my System 6A Alien Poker.
    Metal yoke broke on left pop bumper and shorted to GND. Fried the coil nice and black in 10 seconds before I smelled it burning.
    Waiting on parts ordered Saturday to rebuilt that pop bumper inc new coil.
    So may not need to be the "guinea pig" quite yet...LOL

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

So may not need to be the "guinea pig" quite yet...LOL

Well.. can't fault me for trying to volunteer someone.
    -Mike

#18 5 years ago

That looks interesting, looks like they are emulating (didn't look too far into it if it's hardware emulation vs. software on that daughterboard in the center) - I wonder if the roms are just on the SD card and you can change them easily for the homebrew stuff that's out there?

2 weeks later
    #19 5 years ago

Counterpoint to the obvious benefits of an all in one board like this:

They must be performing some sort of software emulation as they are using a modern CPU module (center leftish part of the board). Probably not a big deal but it does open up the potential for situations where the sound glitches, or the gameplay can be slightly off when things happen is rapid succession. Its probably fine but the potential exists.

All the driver transistors are surface mount devices. They probably used high power MOSFETS or something that rarely fail but when they do, these are tougher to replace than their through hole counterparts.

No schematics available that I could find. That along with the non-standard computer architecture will make troubleshooting/repair down the road more difficult.

I don't really have a dog in this hunt - just thought I would share some observations.

2 months later
    #20 5 years ago

I just put this NW7 into my blackout pinball machine, and it is amazing so far.

#21 5 years ago

Be sure to post a video.

2 weeks later
    #22 5 years ago
    Quoted from funknflow:

I just put this NW7 into my blackout pinball machine, and it is amazing so far.

I’m curious about the jukebox feature - and looking at running a retro sci-fi soundtrack in the background perhaps instead of the drone.

#23 5 years ago

Wonder if compatible with bk? I know rdog has issues.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Wonder if compatible with bk? I know rdog has issues.

It was mentioned in another thread that it was working.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from DMC:

I’m curious about the jukebox feature - and looking at running a retro sci-fi soundtrack in the background perhaps instead of the drone.

I have done exactly this! it is fun, i also a have a folder set up to play breakbeats while playing, have swapped out individual sounds, have replaced the annoying higher pitched background drones as well. I have no complaints with this board whatsoever, absolutely worth the price.

if you are planning on using the jukebox mode, i'd also encourage you to replace your speaker as well.

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago
    Quoted from funknflow:

I have done exactly this! it is fun, i also a have a folder set up to play breakbeats while playing, have swapped out individual sounds, have replaced the annoying higher pitched background drones as well. I have no complaints with this board whatsoever, absolutely worth the price.
    if you are planning on using the jukebox mode, i'd also encourage you to replace your speaker as well.

That sounds great.

#27 5 years ago

It looks great, it even replaces the SB. Kind of pricey though.

1 year later
    #28 3 years ago

I've had one installed in my Solar Fire for over a year now. NEVER had a problem and works excellent. I've had numerous Rottondog boards have issues and the Williams 3-7 (now 3-6) board was no different. Had issues right out of the box on more than one board. And have had friends have same issues. Highly recommend the NW7 as a 100% working suitable replacement for Williams System 3-7! It is pricey. But sometimes you have to pay for quality.

#29 3 years ago

Here is a direct link to it (in German, but an English manual is available there).

https://www.pinball-dreams.com/flipper-pinball-flipperautomaten-modding-shop/verschiedenes/all-in-one-nw7.html

2 years later
    #30 1 year ago

Old thread I know, but this is the only thread that pops up when searching for “NW7”. Wanted to post this since it may help someone one day.

About a year and a half ago I scored a great deal on a Pharaoh. Cleaned it up real good, replaced all rubber, rebuilt all flippers, etc. and got it working great. Noticed it had this particular board in it. Anyway, recently I noticed some of call outs were dragging. Really weird. I saw there is a micro SD slotted in the board. When I removed it and plugged it into my PC’s USB, Windows gave me message saying the memory was corrupt.

So I downloaded the latest file for this board here: https://www.pinball-technology.com/support/. The file is all the way at the bottom under the “Full Packs” header (file name NW7 v1.16). Loaded it onto a new micro SD card, installed it onto the board and now there are no more issues.

If I recall correctly, the initial boot after installing the new card took longer than normal, so give it about 30 seconds or so. This is only the initial boot. It’s probably transferring data to the board’s memory after verifying the dip switch setting.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from ROMM:

Old thread I know, but this is the only thread that pops up when searching for “NW7”. Wanted to post this since it may help someone one day.
    About a year and a half ago I scored a great deal on a Pharaoh. Cleaned it up real good, replaced all rubber, rebuilt all flippers, etc. and got it working great. Noticed it had this particular board in it. Anyway, recently I noticed some of call outs were dragging. Really weird. I saw there is a micro SD slotted in the board. When I removed it and plugged it into my PC’s USB, Windows gave me message saying the memory was corrupt.
    So I downloaded the latest file for this board here: https://www.pinball-technology.com/support/. The file is all the way at the bottom under the “Full Packs” header (file name NW7 v1.16). Loaded it onto a new micro SD card, installed it onto the board and now there are no more issues.
    If I recall correctly, the initial boot after installing the new card took longer than normal, so give it about 30 seconds or so. This is only the initial boot. It’s probably transferring data to the board’s memory after verifying the dip switch setting.

Good info. That will no doubt help others in the future. How do you find the NW7 performs, any noticeable difference from the original boards? Are all the sounds & speech as they should be?

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Good info. That will no doubt help others in the future. How do you find the NW7 performs, any noticeable difference from the original boards? Are all the sounds & speech as they should be?

Sorry, no experience with the original boards. This is the only Pharaoh I’ve ever played and it had the NW7 already installed when I bought it. It seems fine in comparison to videos on YouTube.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nw7-system-3-7-combo-board?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.