Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

buffalo bill (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

What drama ensued here? I saw on FB that the ladies quit in protest of alleged sexism.

#4 6 years ago

Ah, I dont do Tilt forums, but it looks like a big nothingburger.

http://www.tiltforums.com/t/what-happened-at-the-end-of-the-womens-nw-finals/3086

#9 6 years ago

I've observed some of the personalities involved (online and a bit in person) and they are fairly nuts. In addition to always being right about everything. And have no qualms about whipping up a mob frenzy to tear people down over any perceived offense. It's very ugly. The shame for the NW scene is that these people are in the midst of much that goes on. Such a buzzkill for fairminded people who have a sense of generosity of spirit and humor and mostly just want to have fun.

Edit, don't mean to include Kevin Birrell. He's by all accounts a great guy.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

that tilt forum thread is just madness. watch the stream of the incident and have your mind blown further.
    alot of people are doing this nowadays they hide behind an assumption that the offender is a sexist/racist/nazi/commie/yankees fan or what have you rather than face the music of realizing it is their deplorably selfish me first or else attitude that is the catalyst for the lack of respect they receive when in public.

Well said. Why people feel the need to be on a hair trigger to work out their social justice fantasies/neuroses in public at a freakin' pinball event is beyond me. For many of us, pinball is an escape from the serious side of life. I wish others wouldn't work so hard to ruin that by seeking to turn the scene into one of conflict, slander and personal destruction.

Unless something pretty clearly egregious occurred, if you end up crying outside a pinball tournament, the problem probably lies with you.

#18 6 years ago

" hope everyone involved in this comes out better and wiser on the other side. I'll posit a guess that they are all good hearted people, and they obviously share a love of pinball."

I hope you're right. Based on this incident and what I've seen of and heard about the aggressors (and their "kin"), I am not hopeful. They seem to be self-absorbed, grandiose and bent on tearing people down for their own satisfaction.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from spazzman90:

I know of and have played against many of the women that partcipated in this tournament. I guess I would be inclined to ask why there is even a separate tournament for women at all? Doesn't just the notion of a segregated tournament imply that they are somehow unequal? Enlighten me.

I posed that question once and was basically told it was sexistly insensitive even to ask it. But I share your curiosity. This isn't power lifting. It's pinball. Why does sex or gender matter AT ALL for competition?

#26 6 years ago

To both of the above most recent comments, those dynamics could be addressed with a division for newcomers, irrespective of gender. Ironically, I find comparing women to children and seniors a bit sexist. I've played plenty of adult women with far more talent and experience than I have.

#29 6 years ago

The implication of specific exceptions for women's divisions remains that women are intrinsically inferior or delicate, which undermines the whole premise of gender equality. Is the likes if Zoe Vrabel (a top 500 IFPA player and player in the very controversy this thread us about) not sandbagging by playing a women's division?

#31 6 years ago

Sir mister man male, why do women want them to exist? I'm not "concerned," but was fostering debate within the original gist of this thread. As did others, including women. Further, I think it's a reasonable line of inquiry when people request a different division and then ask that it's given separate consideration and time and complain when it's not done so to their satisfaction, to the point of hurling charges of sexism snd even slandering particular individuals or events publicly (this happens). Sorry if you missed all that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UNCgump.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nw-pinball-championships-controversy?tu=UNCgump and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.