(Topic ID: 307664)

NVRAM Weebly sell assembled rectifier board?

By pindude80

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_67191553 (resized).JPG
image_67212801 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

I'm getting ready to solder your kit this week, needed to learn how to solder first.
Quick question in regards to that: are there any recommended components so I can instead of soldering the wires directly to a through hole pad to something like a screw terminal or something? Soldering wires to pads is arguably still my weakest skill.
Thank you.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I suppose you could put a screw terminal at every single transformer wire connection. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do whatever you like. Another brand does this. I would be worried the corroded wires going high resistance burning up. A few connections are going to be high current, but you can find appropriately rated terminals.
The issue with the transformer wires is they are often corroded. You strip back the wire many inches and it is still all corroded and will not want to accept solder. You can fray out the wires and try and to abrasively knock off some of the corrosion. Re tin the wire. Then solder it to the board. Make sure to heat the circuit board hole and wire at the same time. Once hot enough the solder should just flow nicely. If you can't get the solder to flow, try a bigger iron tip and increase the temperature. This circuit board is made with double thick copper and the traces are all very wide which act as a heat sink sucking the heat off your iron tip.
Someone makes a new transformer to rect wiring harness, sorry I forget who. If the transformer tap wires are really nasty, consider getting new ones. Should make it easier to solder.

I did get a new wiring harness. IIRC it was from Third Coast Pinball. Thanks for the advise, I'll just practice some more. I bought some blank PCBs to practice on that - should come soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-weebly-sell-assembled-rectifier-board?tu=T3quila and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.