• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06676 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I bought an NVRAM WEEBLY sound board for my Bally Playboy, about two years ago. The board has been working fine for a few months and I did not use the machine for the past 6 months. Now, when turning it ON, everything works but the sound board generates a lot of background noises, like a rumbling. The sounds and various Playboy chimes and melodies are still audible, but the background noise is really obnoxious.

Everything else works perfectly on the pinball.

I was wondering if people have been having issues with these sound boards or if I am just the unlucky one. What would be another alternative to replace the Bally Playboy sound board, short of finding a true Bally sound board for that machine?

Thank you for your help.
Yves

#6 1 year ago

Thank you Barakandl, I will look into these grounds. What you are describing is definitely close to what I am hearing.

Thanks
Yves

1 week later
#7 1 year ago

No luck so far.....

The Sound board is insulated from the metal shielding on the backbox. I tried using one of the mounting holes linked to the ground, and the humming became even worse. So back to all four insulated posts, like it was when it was working.

Could you specify which pins of the sound board connector should be linked to the ground? Thank you in advance.

Everything else on the machine is working perfectly.

Yves

8 months later
#9 10 months ago

I was able to locate an original BALLY Soundboard from Big Daddy Enterprises and mounted it in the backbox.
Sound was back with no humming and unpleasant noises. The original sound board sounds a little bit different from the NVRAM, but works very well and is perfectly silent.

DSC06676 (resized).JPGDSC06676 (resized).JPG

You can see the new old board in situation, above the fan and next to the transformer.

Yves

#13 10 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

This sound board is one of my most popular boards. There are ton of them in service over the last 5-6 years, there is not a general design issue with them that should make them hum. If anything the grounding and filtering should be better. They are dead silent in my games (assuming the connectors are good otherwise nasty ground hum with bad connectors).
I can check, repair/replace the sound board if you want to send it back to me.

That NVRAM sound board worked well for 15 months. Then it started developing the humming noise. I tried checking the grounds but nothing did it.
I am happy to have an original BALLY sound board in my machine now, and will keep the NVRAM board for a future project. It may work better in a different environment.

Yves

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-weebly-as-2518-50-sound-board-issue?tu=Arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.