(Topic ID: 208648)

NVRAM versus continuing with batteries

By GoChiefs70

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180211_094438 (resized).jpg
    20180211_094436 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7156 (resized).JPG
    e92b1bb710c76f5c927e91cfd423b38295871226 (resized).jpg
    20170311_130238 (resized).jpg
    20170312_095432 (resized).jpg
    20170312_125508 (resized).jpg
    20170408_115512 (resized).jpg
    20170409_111916 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

No. NVRAM does not affect any timed modes that you are referring too.

It only affects very few DMD games (only when the game is turned off) that use a real time clock and which have the Midnight Madness mode and Twilight Zone (if you care about that cool feature), which actually keeps the real clock time while in attract mode. Alphanumeric games (non-DMD games) do not have a real time clock at all.

MM is the only one in your collection that can be affected as what theLAW mentions about MM (I'm not familiar with).

Upgrade to NVRAM. You will be glad you did. I'm installing them for every game I work on for others as a standard, minus the 5 or 6 DMD exceptions, if the owner wishes, then it is lithium batteries for those.

#5 6 years ago

Here is the way I put it to people when I work on their games. Say, I install Lithium batteries now in a game for you instead of NVRAM. Somewhere down the line, you sell the game and the new owner reads on the internet that you need to change alkaline batteries every year. Some people may not realize Lithium batteries last much longer and should not leak. Very likely what will happen is that the new owner (most likely, new to pinball ownership) will install alkaline batteries because they are cheap. So now the game is at risk yet again.

So, I suggest that anyone who does install Lithium batteries in a game, put a label over the batteries stating "Only replace with Lithium batteries". That way the MPU board will be protected for a much longer life. New replacement boards may not be easy to find in 10+years.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does it matter though if they are in a remote battery holder?

You would be surprised what the fumes from Alkaline batteries can do.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

NVRAM is great as long as you don't have to install the socket on the board first

I personally installed over 150 NVRAM in my games and others and I do not even have an electric desolder station. I do have my trusty old blue manual solder sucker. I purchase a minimum of 20 NVRAM at a time. I'm here to help give the longest possible life to a MPU that I possibly can. NVRAM for a long life!!

#14 6 years ago

OP, I'll be happy to install NVRAM for you, if needed.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

You're a good man PM.

Thank you for the kind words, Sir.

I'm in the process of upgrading a fellow Houston collector upgrade his 45 pins to NVRAM. Lucky enough for me, 11 were DE/Sega/Whitestar games, so that was just a quick swap out. With the WPC/WPC95 games I already upgraded, I think I have 15 to go. Though, unlucky for me, he had 5 (3 are WPC95) MPU boards with Alkaline damage that I had already repaired and installed NVRAM. Here is one WPC before (speaking of fumes/leakage) and after 3/4 of the repair work was done to this point. Wish I had pictures of the other 4 boards handy, but can't seem to find them at this time. 20170408_115512 (resized).jpg20170408_115512 (resized).jpg20170409_111916 (resized).jpg20170409_111916 (resized).jpg

Here is a Bad Cats MPU I repaired for someone who said there is no battery damage on the board. I got there and looked it over and removed the battery holder and you can still see the nasty wetness that was still under the holder. 20170311_130238 (resized).jpg20170311_130238 (resized).jpg

20170312_095432 (resized).jpg20170312_095432 (resized).jpg20170312_125508 (resized).jpg20170312_125508 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

NVRAM, hands down. Just end any trepidation on battery leakage. For games with midnight madness, every once in a while set the clock to 10 PM.
    I see so many boards damaged from batteries that leaked. It’s an expensive mess that can be prevented so easily. And there is just no need for it. Stop f$&king around and just install NVRAM. I’m saying that to everyone here. It’s the first thing I do when I get a new game.

Amen, Brother!!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I just solder the NVRAM in place because it is permanent anyway...

You are a brave sole. The newer NVRAM now has a 73 year retention life. What happens when you out live it? Being I install mine in a socket, I will not have to worry about seeing very well in order to just swap in another if needed. haha

#23 6 years ago

System 11_ and 11A boards should already be socketed from Williams and would use only a 6116 due to the layout of the board.

#26 6 years ago

Mostly, I use http://www.pinitech.com/products/cat_memory.php

Have also bought a few from http://nvram.weebly.com/
    and even http://lockwhenlit.com/anyPin.htm

Might even be other sources ready to use.

1 week later
    #29 6 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

Would be nice if this was true, but it's not. Some may be socketed, haven't looked at very many in quite a few years and my spare boards are in storage - but I'm looking right now at my PinBot's 11A board and it is very much not socketed. The MPU is actually out of #597 (Millionaire) but still an 11A regardless.
    Not a huge issue to deal with if one has any soldering skills, but an obstacle for those new to the game.
    Just placed my order for Pinitech NVRAM's for all my games, looks like a nice product.
    Richard

Well, was just basing it on what I have seen. Some may have been socketed after leaving the factory. I can install NVRAM for you if you want. I live close to the Katy area if you want to bring it by.

You did order 5101 for you other 2 games? Normally the old SS Williams games are not in a socket either.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from GoChiefs70:

Great, thanks for the info everyone, extremely helpful and grateful to all!

And....what did you decide?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

How long do the lithium batteries last?

Possibly between 6 to 10 years. But you are still throwing batteries away and risking someone installing alkaline batteries in the place of them so the board is at risk yet again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-versus-continuing-with-batteries?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.