Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bontango
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schematics_v2 (resized).png
    schematics_v1 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6116 layout (resized).JPG
    6116-ADAPTER (resized).JPG
    FM1608_Rev_July_2000.pdf (PDF preview)
    DSCN1905.jpg
    DSCN1909.jpg
    DSCN1908.jpg
    DSCN1906.jpg
    DSCN1907.jpg
    Kontakt_LR.jpg
    5101_nvram_soic_450.jpg
    5101nvram.jpg
    5101_RAM_Adapter_Example_8.jpg
    5101_RAM_Adapter_Example_7.jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Here's something I thought was interesting / cool / slightly annoying
    This stuff (RAMTRON/CYPRESS) FM16W08 can operate without power applied to pin #28. Leave it totally disconnected and watch what happens. The stuff still works.. and would test fine in a RAM tester, in GQ-4X.. work in a machine. Not that you'd really want to do that (depending on esd protection diodes or whatever is clamping the voltage to the internal rails) but.. yeah I forget how I found that. I think I was trying to cause the RAM to fail by just disconnecting the power and then found some chips will still get powered up that way.

Many thanks for that hint - very important - helped me very much for a future project.

#52 8 years ago

By the way:

This way I test my ramtrons before soldering them to the pcbs:

DSCN1906.JPGDSCN1906.JPG

DSCN1908.JPGDSCN1908.JPG

DSCN1905.JPGDSCN1905.JPG

DSCN1907.JPGDSCN1907.JPG

DSCN1909.JPGDSCN1909.JPG

#53 8 years ago

We use Yamaichi sockets like those for development boards at work. Those buggers cost a fortune!

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

We use Yamaichi sockets like those for development boards at work. Those buggers cost a fortune!

Yes, but they're so worth it.

The older I get the less I understand the desire to find the absolute least expensive everything. The saying "you get what you pay for" holds more and more true the older I get.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

1 week later
    #55 8 years ago

Interesting thing i just discovered with early date code FM1608s. When using them in the 5101 adapter and a WMS game. If you power cycle quickly by toggling the power switch twice in a quarter second or so, you scramble the RAM contents and the software will factory default.

Most of my used pulls are date codes around 2006-2011. I have come across just a couple from 2004 or so and it appears to only be these ones from 2004 and earlier that can have this issue. I could not replicate RAM failure in sega whitestar or WPC MPU by flipping the switch twice, so it might be only certain games and how the power off cycle works. I have not seen a FM1608 with a date code before 2004 in my batch, not sure what the first date codes are for this device.

I found this line in the datasheet.

-=-=-=-=-

Removed Power Down Sequence diagram and associated timing parameters.
    Date codes 0435 and later are not affected by brownout conditions. Updated
    footer to comply with new Datasheet Change Procedure. Removed applications
    section.

-=-=-=-=-

I will probably be setting aside any date code earlier than 0435 for the moment until i do more testing. This might be something to worry about when getting FM1608s that are remarked. The date code will be a mystery.

#56 8 years ago

Hmmm add a small cap to ride it out.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Hmmm add a small cap to ride it out.

That is what i was thinking. I need to find an old data sheet that has the power down sequence diagram. I am sure it is out there.

So far only WMS 6-7 MPUs using a dip28 FM1608 dated before 0435 appear to effected by this in my early testing. Early date codes don't have problems that i can replicate so far in WPC, White Star, DE or early bally.

#58 8 years ago

FM1608 datasheet July 2000

FM1608 Rev July 2000.pdfFM1608 Rev July 2000.pdf

3 months later
    #59 8 years ago

Interesting developments with using FM1608 and FM1808

I have found FM1608s on a 5101 dual CE dip adapter setup will not work properly in WMS system 3-4 games if you power cycle willy nilly. If you are writing to the RAM when you power down (say adding credits and turn the game off) the next time you power up the RAM will clear to default settings. FM16W08 on a surface mount adapter does not have this problem. I suspect the wide voltage rating has something to do with it. Perhaps reset timing and the fact the +5v that powers the RAM in system 4 stages through the reset delay.

As stated a few posts above. Early date code FM1608s do not work properly in system 6 either. Rapid power cycling will clear the ram. FM1608 with 0435 ish or later date code, this issue goes away.

In my latest batch of FM1608(8k x 8)s i also found a a couple FM1808(32k x 8)s mixed in. FM1808 is drop in replacement for 6264/FM1608. It works fine every system i have tested it in so far with no worries about changing jumpers. AND!!! FM1808 on the 5101 dual ce dip adapter does not corrupt the RAM in a system 3-4 game if you power cycle during a ram write event.

I also found some FM1608s labeled FM1608M. The dye revision on these is "A", FM1608s pretty much all have dye revision "M". So far these behave exactly like FM1608. Perhaps a military graded part???

That being said. I believe FM1808 may be an equal or possibly superior part number over FM1608. Just make sure it is NOT FM18L08 as that is a 3.3v part and will not work.

2 years later
    #60 5 years ago

I realize this is a thread necro, but I didn't see any reason to junk up the forums with another post related to the same subject.

I have a few FM16W08 laying around from a bulk "don't know what this stuff is" buy a few years ago and a few breakout boards. I'm wanting to use them as NVRAM in some MCR arcade boards (Tron, Satan's Hollow, Spyhunter, Tapper, Timber, etc). At first I was thinking it would be a 1-1 and grounding the other 2 address lines... wrong (or my FM16W08's are boo-boo'd).

Do you, or anyone else, have a quick schematic for these?

Quoted from german-pinball:

1.)
    It is imho NO challange to solder the 6116-Adapter, if you have a good layout.
    Here is how I did it in 2011. Board is single layer-design.
    First foto is 6264-Adapter, second is 6116-Adapter.

Both pretty simple to solder - I did a (bad) video of soldering, if you wanna see, look here:
    » YouTube video
    2.)
    To 5101-Adapter: There are no additional PCB-costs, when you design a board with combining the 2 CEs. Only more parts are the IC and 2 resistors, extra costs of about 0,2 USD, but you have the advantage, that you have extra support for WMS 3-4, GTB Sys80 - imho no question, do add the logic to every 5101-Adapter.
    3.)
    You might have seen, that I always - Lindsey does the same - add a PWR LED to my boards, I like it and all who use my adapters too.
    4.)
    You use universal PCBs, why? If you design your own PCBs, you are more open, to integrate your own ideas and the price of each spare pcb is not more than 1,00 USD.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scucci_:

I realize this is a thread necro, but I didn't see any reason to junk up the forums with another post related to the same subject.
    I have a few FM16W08 laying around from a bulk "don't know what this stuff is" buy a few years ago and a few breakout boards. I'm wanting to use them as NVRAM in some MCR arcade boards (Tron, Satan's Hollow, Spyhunter, Tapper, Timber, etc). At first I was thinking it would be a 1-1 and grounding the other 2 address lines... wrong (or my FM16W08's are boo-boo'd).

You also need a pullup resistor on /CE for MCR system or the RAM corrupts and/or fails to boot. 10k resistor between VCC and /CE

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scucci_:

Here is the quick schematic

Have fun ...

6116-ADAPTER (resized).JPG6116-ADAPTER (resized).JPG

and a suggestion for your layout:

6116 layout (resized).JPG6116 layout (resized).JPG

#63 5 years ago

Awww, I was so close too. Didn't think about the pull-up. Still should've at least tested right, so I guess there's something wonky with atleast one of my NVRAMs. I'll have to redo the thing with the pull-up and a different FM16W08.

Thank you!

5 years later
    #64 4 months ago

quite old thread .. but as I created my DIY 5101 adapters based on information published here I though its OK to reactivate it.
    Below pictures and schematics of Version1 and 2; more information and needed infos for DIY on my side https://lisy.dev/fram5101.html
    have fun
    Ralf

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngschematics_v1 (resized).pngschematics_v1 (resized).pngschematics_v2 (resized).pngschematics_v2 (resized).png
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-technical-discussion/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.