6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KOSBat2 (resized).jpg
KOSBat1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Going thru the batteries on my pins.
I noticed the sounds kept changing from space to gunshot on KOS when powered off for a while so I opened up backbox.
I can't remember if I ever changed the battery on this since I bought it at auction in 1990.
I think I did one time but now I want to see if there is a simple NVRAM option for it.
I don't want the memory capacitor, was considering the CR2032 coin cell but not sure which resistor needs to be replaced by a diode.
NVRAM from what I understand will not loose settings forever and since this Bally has no TIME/DATE settings I should be 100%.
True?
Here's 2 pics of what's in there now. Thank goodness there isn't any battery corrosion...

KOSBat1 (resized).jpgKOSBat1 (resized).jpg

KOSBat2 (resized).jpgKOSBat2 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Would I need to desolder the onboard ram or if I'm lucky, it's already socketed?
I'll also have to desolder the old NICAD battery I'm sure which is no biggie.
Is there a video on this for do it yourselfers?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

No desoldering necessary if your socket is in good shape. Your board looks clean, so I'd imagine you can just pop the old RAM out and the new NVRAM in. Should take a few minutes or less.
I'd snip the battery off the board with micro flush cutters & then just desolder the remaining tabs if you want for a clean look.
There's no video that I know of but on my website I show the location of the RAM being upgraded for every style board I offer NVRAM adapters for & the modules come with instructions. On the Bally machines it's pretty much just, pop out the old RAM.. and install the NVRAM making sure to get all the pins lined up & the notch on the nvram oriented the same way as the old RAM that came out. You can then reset to defaults by going into self-test & advancing through the different audit/adjustment options.. and hitting the button on your MPU to reset each value. Once you do that you can reference your manual for how to set high score levels, sound options, etc.

So I would need the 5101 NVRAM for Bally Kings OF Steel?
AS-2518-35

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haverhill, MA
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-option-for-kings-of-steel?tu=CUJO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.