5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1560 (resized).JPG
IMG_1575 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

A competitor straddles the ram chip over the male socket header strips which creates assembly and other issues as you either are cutting the socket headers flush to the board or forming the fm16w08 leads so it sits higher off of the PCB to clear over the socket header strip.

There's at least one active manufacturer of compact 5101 modules that I know of that does that.. and another that no longer offers nvram products that used flush-cut headers, but it's not what's being done on my 5101 modules if that's what you were referring to.

I'm not going to give away the secret sauce in my own techniques since I've done that enough already through the years as one of the first few pioneers of the nvram products for pinball (since 2013). I will say that on those particular modules the assembly and clean-up time takes longer than any of the other types I sell. I've definitely had a hard time justifying being able to sell the 5101's in a 10-pack to match others bulk pricing on nvram (which is something else that I had started years ago and others adopted). Keeping ahead of inventory on them is always challenging.

The larger board design with the nvram chip to the side didn't look that great to me. It's as compact as you can get though unless you figure out some more creative assembly techniques. I just forced myself to find a way to do a compact module that looked aesthetically nice and was still solid quality. Cutting header pins down and depending on just a tiny bit of solder in the through-holes didn't seem like a very good idea (again, not what I'm doing on mine). Plus you can't even get them flat to the board even cutting with micro-flush cutters and it all adds a ton of time.

Truth be told, I'd actually considered going back to the standard larger board design (as my prototypes were) several times just to speed things up. Never pulled the trigger on that though, which forced me to just get quicker at assembly with the current design. I like the compact design better anyway, they store easier. Assembly is the Achilles on those, definitely not very profitable considering price-point and time invested.. but kind of gets averaged out with the other modules that are less time-intensive to build.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmichael, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-on-system-6?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.