Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Neal_W
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU080 RAM.jpg
    Untitled2 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hello all,
    Has anyone used NVRAM on a ‘Rottendog’ MPU080 (Gottlied) or MPU327-4 (Williams)?
    If so, what NVRAM is compatible?

Thank you,

Dirk

#2 4 years ago

I have installed a 5101 NVRAM in my original Gold Wings Gottlieb System 80B MPU. Desoldering/soldering is required if your part is not already in an IC socket. This will work with the System 80 MPU as well.

This is for original Gottlieb MPU boards only.
    https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes, I have installed a 5101 NVRAM in my original Gold Wings Gottlieb System 80B MPU. Desoldering/soldering is required if your part is not already in an IC socket. This will work with the System 80 MPU as well.
    https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

looks like a DIP28 RAM chip is used on both boards. 6264 NVRAM modules ~~should~~ work, but I am not sure if it has been tested.

#4 4 years ago

Maybe contact rottendog directly and see what type of NVRAM they recommend?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:Maybe contact rottendog directly and see what type of NVRAM they recommend?

I have an email sent to them. They are out of town until next month.

#6 4 years ago

Well Hrmmm..... schematic shows a STK12C68 type NVRAM chip but I don't know if STK12C68 would work without the capacitor on Vcap pin 1. When the reset goes low it should trigger a store too... but again the reset is going to go low when the Vcc falls and since they want a cap on the Vcap pin 1 I am not sure if there is enough time to store the SRAM into the EEPROM inside the ram chip in time before the Vcc drops out.

What type of RAM chip is currently installed in these boards when you buy them?

MPU080 RAMMPU080 RAMfm16w08 NVRAM pinoutfm16w08 NVRAM pinout

#7 4 years ago

here is a photo of my RottenDog MPU080 RAM

MPU080 RAM.jpgMPU080 RAM.jpg
    #8 4 years ago

Just knowing basics, from what I can find, it appears to be SRAM - Asynchronous Memory IC 256Kb (32K x 8 ) Parallel 70ns 28-PDIP.
    Also, is that the capacitor you are talking about shown on the board to the right of the SRAM at C11 ?

#9 4 years ago

C11 appears to be your standard high frequency noise filter, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

#11 4 years ago

If you don't want to wait for one from China I have a sleeve of these and will send you one for $10 shipped.

10 months later
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Your chip is a standard 32k x 8 (256k) RAM chip.
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alliance-Memory/U62256ADK07LLG1?qs=LD2UibpCYJr50j%252B%252B4ajYoA%3D%3D
    Replace it with one of these and you will be GTG ...
    ebay.com link » Ramtron Fm1808 70 P Fram Nvram 256kbit Dip28 2pcs

Do I need to solder a socket to put this chip in or can I just solder the chip onto the board?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

Do I need to solder a socket to put this chip in or can I just solder the chip onto the board?

Install a socket in case it fails. It will be an easier swap for anyone, if needed. Some games, like South Park already have an IC socket on the board from the factory. What game are you wanting to install one? Is it a Rottendog board?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Install a socket in case it fails. It will be an easier swap for anyone, if needed. Some games, like South Park already have an IC socket on the board from the factory. What game are you wanting to install one? Is it a Rottendog board?

It's a rotten dog board in a mars God of War

2 years later
    #15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Your chip is a standard 32k x 8 (256k) RAM chip.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alliance-Memory/U62256ADK07LLG1?qs=LD2UibpCYJr50j%252B%252B4ajYoA%3D%3D

Replace it with one of these and you will be GTG ...

ebay.com link: Ramtron FM1808 70 P FRAM NVRAM 256Kbit DIP28 2PCS

Can confirm I replaced the same socketed RAM with that NVRAM eBay link today on my Fish Tales with Rottendog WPC CPU. Very happy it worked since my Rottendog CPU would drain new energizers every 12~13 months.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-on-rottendog-mpus-yes-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.