• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180426_081758 (resized).jpg
20180426_081844 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just got my boards back from rebuilding and have most of the bugs chased out of the game, for the most part it plays fine. The sound went out shortly after but I think I have it figured out. I had nvram installed on the board while it was out and it stores credits but the high score to date always displays 50000. Is there a game adjustment or setting I'm missing that could fix this before bothering the guy who rebuilt the mpu? I have a high degree of confidence that the work is fine, done by a very well regarded shop and I hate to pester him with stupid questions when I can pester this board with stupid questions instead..

#2 5 years ago

So, high score is the only thing that isn't saved? And it boots straight to attract mode correctly (not audits)? Have you tried resetting the high score to another value?

#3 5 years ago

I haven't tried manually setting high scores through game afjustments, only through gameplay. Audit information seems off, like 50,xxx total minutes in play, 50,xxx balls played...Yada yada. Boots to attract mode and plays fine, though it does award ten credits/coin on one coin slot even though it's set to one. Could I be looking at a switch matrix issue surrounding the high score reset switch?

#4 5 years ago

Try changing a few adjustments, including the backup high score, see if the adjustments keep. See if the high score gets reset to your backup high score instantly or if you need to hit the reset button.

Does it pass the self-test? (lower diag switch on the MPU should flash both leds twice) Does the display test look correct?

If you get a high score, after that game ends, does it show that as the high score until you reboot the machine? or does it just always stay at 50k?

#5 5 years ago

I will run it through switch test and try changing default high score. As it it it will display the score of the last game and 50000 alternating. I'm beginning to think I have a switch matrix issue surrounding the high score reset switch, roll tilt is in the same column and inop

#6 5 years ago

Display test looked normal except bottom row is out on all displays, and #4 is broken.

#7 5 years ago

Shouldn't there be diodes here? I thought every switch had a diode, lack thereof causing reading errors? Are the diodes for the door switches located elsewhere?

20180426_081844 (resized).jpg20180426_081844 (resized).jpg

20180426_081758 (resized).jpg20180426_081758 (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

The advance and auto switches aren't part of the switch matrix, so they don't have diodes.

#9 5 years ago

The person that fixed your boards might have left data from a different game or erroneous data in the NVRAM chip. Try a restore factory settings.

Open the coin door and backbox door
on the MPU set command memory switch 7 to ON and the rest off
power on the game
Push the MPU diag button
Push the MPU command memory entry button
Power cycle twice
Then check to see if the high score works.

#10 5 years ago

Will try this, thanks.

#11 5 years ago

Tries reset to factory defaults, no luck. Still shows 50k as high score. Credits are stored. Haven't tried changing default high score in game controls yet.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from oilspot:

Tries reset to factory defaults, no luck. Still shows 50k as high score. Credits are stored. Haven't tried changing default high score in game controls yet.

that is probably the default high score. Take the glass off, and score past it and see if it holds.

#13 5 years ago

I ran up a score past 50k and it still shoshows 50k as high score. I think the nvram chip is working though since it stores credits. If the high score reset switch is sticking/shorted, or if maybe there's a bad diode in the switch matrix affecting it would that be a possible cause? High score reset button is column 1 row 8 it looks like. I see no diode on that button but could another one affect it?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from oilspot:

I ran up a score past 50k and it still shoshows 50k as high score. I think the nvram chip is working though since it stores credits. If the high score reset switch is sticking/shorted, or if maybe there's a bad diode in the switch matrix affecting it would that be a possible cause? High score reset button is column 1 row 8 it looks like. I see no diode on that button but could another one affect it?

What does switch test show? If it's not reading any switches then it's probably not the switch.

#15 5 years ago

I'll run the switch self test and check for stuck switches tonight and report back.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from oilspot:

I'll run the switch self test and check for stuck switches tonight and report back.

Open the coin door and push the MPU diag button. If you get two flashes from the MPU LEDs then 95% sure the NVRAM is fine. Stuck high score reset switch is something to check.

#17 5 years ago

I tried resetting factory default settings again, and I must have screwed it up last time I tried. It worked this time, curing a couple oroblems. High score works, coin slot 1 trips one credit instead of ten, another bug fixed, thanks!

#18 5 years ago

Sweet!, match works now too! Must have had a bunch of junk data in that ram.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from oilspot:

Sweet!, match works now too! Must have had a bunch of junk data in that ram.

There are a few audits if they get junk data in them that will make these games act up. Never ending games, what you saw, etc...

normally the game will detect a ram problem on power on and do a automatic restore factory defaults, but sometimes the check digits will match up even tho the ram is corrupt and you have to clear it manually.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-not-keeping-high-score-sys-6?hl=oilspot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.