(Topic ID: 318841)

nvram install gone wrong (Demolition Man)... Or maybe not (resolved)

By The_Pump_House

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17925BAE-C18B-4A09-87F7-E0FC904467E1 (resized).jpeg
F52EFDE5-C1A4-46D5-8CE0-1E0A0ECD7C3B (resized).jpeg
CA7E7884-83E8-40F5-9A8C-E8F7104175D3 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20220718-115015 (resized).png
demomannvram (resized).jpg
demomannvram (resized).jpg
IMG_0146 (resized).jpg
IMG_0145 (resized).jpg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpg
IMG_0138 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Pump_House.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I installed nvram on 7 pins today (totan, mm, ijpa, hurricane, cc, ww, and DM). All went well with the exception of DM.

When I put the MPU back in a stupidly connected the ribbon cable from Aux PCB Assembly to J201 and the ribbon from the dmd board to the aux PCB connector on the MPU.

When I fired the game up, behavior was obviously weird. I turned the pin off and checked my ribbon cables to double check/reseat my ribbon cables still not realizing that the aux/dmd ribbons were swapped. Turned the pin back on and there was no activity at all.

Corrected the that mistake but now no joy.

MPU top and bottom leds are solid and middle led is now blinking every second or so.

Now I don't know if I made a mistake with the NVRAM install or damaged a board with the ribbon swap. Swapped NVRAM chip with a known good chip as well.

I clipped the old ram at the chip and removed the pins one at a time, desoldering with my hakko. There are no solder bridges and the pads were nice and clean on both sides before installing the nvram.

W3/R93 are correct.

Currently going through all of our pins for battery elimination (30 or so to go).

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I would remove all cables from the MPU except power and see if it boots correctly.
If it does, connect the ribbon cable to the power driver.
If it boots, add the ribbon cable to the sound board.
If it boots, add the cables for the DMD board.
If the process fails at any point it gives an indication of where the problem may be.

Fails with no ribbons connected.

Since the consensus seems to be that the ribbon swap would not damage the MPU I will start continuity tests on the nvram socket

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you install a 6264 NVRAM? That is the most common one used on this WPC MPU board.
On a rare occasion, I see a 62256 installed which the jumper configuration would be different for that one.
Checking pin to adjacent pin all down the line on the NVRAM socket looking for a solder short is the next step.

Pin had 62256 and installed 6264. Removed W3 jumper and put a 1.5k resistor at R93. Already did a continuity check for a solder bridge. There is none.

#13 1 year ago

First off, I want to thank you all for offering help. I could just drive the boards over to Chris H's house but would rather learn by doing.

Pictures as requested.

IMG_0138 (resized).jpgIMG_0138 (resized).jpgIMG_0145 (resized).jpgIMG_0145 (resized).jpgIMG_0146 (resized).jpgIMG_0146 (resized).jpgIMG_0150 (resized).jpgIMG_0150 (resized).jpg
#16 1 year ago

Traced out the sip sockets and this is what I have. I took a pic of the underside of the cpu and flipped it so that it matches as if you were looking through the board.

20 on the sip had no continuity to the solder spot marked 20 between the cpu and nvram. Corrected that.

10 and 18 are toning together... correcting

demomannvram (resized).jpgdemomannvram (resized).jpg

#17 1 year ago

Ever so lightly rubbed a nylon point over the trace running between 18 and 19 because 10's trace runs through there and rubbed it between 10 and 11 because 18's trace passes through there.

10/18 are separated now.

Testing the board...

demomannvram (resized).jpgdemomannvram (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

Found this in another thread.

So I’ve done 14 nvram installs in the last couple days and the first 11 went without a hitch…. The last 3, what the hell!

CA7E7884-83E8-40F5-9A8C-E8F7104175D3 (resized).jpegCA7E7884-83E8-40F5-9A8C-E8F7104175D3 (resized).jpeg
#24 1 year ago

I’m alternating troubleshooting CPU’s and remodeling our master bathroom

F52EFDE5-C1A4-46D5-8CE0-1E0A0ECD7C3B (resized).jpegF52EFDE5-C1A4-46D5-8CE0-1E0A0ECD7C3B (resized).jpeg
#26 1 year ago

Ok, I set the failed NVRAM installs for DM, ToM and Scared Stiff aside and pulled the MPU for AFM.

Did the installation on AFM

Clipped the ram leads,
Removed each leg one at a time and inspected to make sure I didn't pull a pad or through hole.
Cleaned it up
Toned front to back and to the ROM and ASIC.
Installed the sips

Absolutely convinced this is my best nvram and solder job ever I installed the ram and put the MPU back in AFM.

FAILED AGAIN!

That's four in a row after a string of success.

So I pulled the NVRAM out of a previous good install (IJPA) and tested each MPU again

All of the MPU's are fine.

Bad NVRAM new out of the package. I guess I should reconsider what I mean when I said tested with a "known good" component (NIB isn't known good)

Thank you all for your help, upvotes for everyone.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Did you receive Ramtron branded ICs - i.e. did you order https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RAMTRON ?
I've bought about 300 FRAM ICs the past couple of years from reputable big box electronics merchants. All of them SOIC-28 (can't find new DIP-28). All of them Cypress Semiconductor branded.
https://pinitech.com/blog.php#1519
Caveat emptor.

Yes, all ramtron ic's

#38 1 year ago
17925BAE-C18B-4A09-87F7-E0FC904467E1 (resized).jpeg17925BAE-C18B-4A09-87F7-E0FC904467E1 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#40 1 year ago

I never updated this.

Defective nvram was the problem. Lock when lit replaced them no questions asked.

I converted all of our pins to nvram

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 72.95
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Pump_House.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-install-gone-wrong-demolition-man?tu=The_Pump_House and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.