Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SunMonkeyAZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-8_(resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have a Bally 6803 machine. I bought lockwhenlit 6116 specific chip. I cut out the nicad battery and placed the chip in at u4. Powered on the machine a got nothing. I did not notice that this thing can also be used as a 6264. Removed a properly seated at the 6116 slot. Powered on the machine at an error during boards self test at the u4. Removed everything and replaced with original battery and original ic. Same result. Did I just ruin this mpu?

#2 5 years ago

Did you restore the factory defaults after replacing the RAM for an NVRAM and vice versa??

#3 5 years ago

What does the LED on the MPU do?

The round pin headers on an NVRAM are wider than the flat pins on a normal RAM. If your IC socket was questionable to begin with, probably from corrosion, the NVRAM round pins can break the contacts single leaf RN sockets used on a 6803 board.

The 6803 boards are pretty finicky themselves, just messing with the board may have caused a physical connection issue. The game has a power on self test... use that info.

#4 5 years ago

I have given up on the nvram. I am sure it is no good now. Replaced original battery and u4 and she is back up and running. In total agreement with the fickle 6803.

That was a pretty bad experience. Not sure I want to do too much more toying with this board. For now we will just hope the battery never leaks.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtgedney:

I have given up on the nvram. I am sure it is no good now. Replaced original battery and u4 and she is back up and running. In total agreement with the fickle 6803.
    That was a pretty bad experience. Not sure I want to do too much more toying with this board. For now we will just hope the battery never leaks.

It will leak. They always do. It's a ticking time bomb.

#6 5 years ago

My experience is 6803 CPU boards are very forgiving when it comes to NVRAM. Ramtron, Dallas, Simtek....these boards accept all of them. Just install, like Anrew already mentioned, a good quality IC socket, load the factory defaults and there you go. Maybe you have some bad luck and received a bad NVRAM module.

#7 5 years ago

You should perform a factory reset before writing off the NVRAM:

Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
    Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
    Hit Enter.
    It will say "Reset Factory Is".
    Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
    Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

#8 5 years ago

Bally 6803 uses a 6116, always. The anyPin 6116/6264 will come set as 6264, so for the Bally 6803, you'll need to turn the 6264 switch off and the 6116 switch on to configure the anyPin for your Bally 6803 CPU.

anyPin works just fine in all Bally boards.

Don't give up, if your original RAM is working in the board, anyPin will as well. You may have a flaky/battery damaged socket, and if that's the case it will need to be addressed now or when it fails worse in the future.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#9 5 years ago

Rob

I bought from Pinballlife.com. It was not the anypin version. Could I try another module? Perhaps it is bad. Should I try to send this one back to pinballlife?

I know the battery will fail, that's why I bought the nvram, however I'd like to keep this machine playable. There should be more detailed instructions to install.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtgedney:

Rob
    I bought from Pinballlife.com. It was not the anypin version. Could I try another module? Perhaps it is bad. Should I try to send this one back to pinballlife?
    I know the battery will fail, that's why I bought the nvram, however I'd like to keep this machine playable. There should be more detailed instructions to install.

Installation is easy...as long as you don't have a flaky/damaged U4 socket. One way to tell is to look at the leafs in the socket. If there are some that have wider gaps than others between the leafs, then it's probably time to replace it.

Also, make sure the NVRAM adapter is oriented in the correct direction. If you put it in the wrong way, it may have gotten damaged.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtgedney:

I'd like to keep this machine playable.

I put one of these in my HMM....it will get you by until you tackle the NVRAM...

images-8_(resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from mtgedney:

Rob

So you got the anyPin DMD+ then? You'll simply need to move the solder bridge from 6264 to 6116.

If it's bad for whatever reason, I guarantee them for life. You'd send it back to me, not PBL.

Installation instructions are on my site, as the sticker that came on the anyPin DMD+ indicates. It's really a pretty basic thing to do in a game with the RAM socketed already. If you remove a 6264, you put in the anyPin set as 6264. If you remove a 6116, you put in the anyPin set to 6116.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You should perform a factory reset before writing off the NVRAM:
    Hit "Test", to enter operator mode.
    Hit "A" until "Feature Options" is displayed.
    Hit Enter.
    It will say "Reset Factory Is".
    Hit 6, then 5, then Enter.
    Hit "Game" to return to attract mode. You'll know it worked because it will take longer than usual to reach attract mode, and the display will flicker slightly as the computer clears the memory (this is normal).

If you've ruled out the socket and that you have the NVRAM properly configured as a 6116, then perform the above reset after installing it. I believe these come wiped clean already but there's a chance that some stray data could be confusing the game. I have used both the AnyPin and the AnyPin DMD+ with a Bally 6803 MPU and they both work great.

#14 5 years ago

Rob. I sent u a pm. Actually accidentally sent a few. Thanks 4 your help.

#15 5 years ago

We'll get you squared away.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#16 5 years ago

I will say Rob is great to work with. I bought his anypin a few months back for a 6803. My very first pin and "mod" so I was worried. I emailed him before ordering, told him the game it was for and he shipped it to me pre-configured so all I had to do was install. Had some concerns after it arrived and he helped me through them. I recommend anyone thinking of nvram do the same. My 2 cents.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside