Untitled (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9F6095BC-2380-4BAB-A602-400CA3165D48 (resized).jpeg
Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
Knipex (resized).jpg
IMG_6122 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#263 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I dont really know what that rating means as far as handling, but I am sure wrapping them in stretch wrap stacked on top of each other is not ESD safe.

Here ya go Andrew, more than you ever wanted to know about ESD ratings.

http://electronicdesign.com/power/what-s-difference-between-hbm-cdm-and-mm-test

1 week later
#297 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Really my advice to people in nvram or a selling a similar product -- be somewhat civil. There's ways to compete that don't involve dropping the price to the point it's not worth anyone's time and to cause drama for everyone involved. Compete with features, or information.. or support.. or design. Some people will buy things because they like the look.. or who they're dealing with, even if the product has the same functionality.

Good advice. My business partner who ran sales used to always say he could hire a bunch of monkeys to sell based on price. Personally I've always found it more fun to add value to a product.

3 weeks later
#396 8 years ago

Just got 10 DIPS's in from the previously linked vendor--all were 120-P. Packaging was crap as others have stated. Before testing I straightened any pins and ultrasonically cleaned the pins. Three out of the 10 failed (tested multiple times).

#435 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Not sure what type of Zip/Zif socket your tester has but many Zif sockets contact the IC pin on the edges that are not normally touching a normal single or double wipe IC socket.

The ZIF socket on the Inquisitor uses the pin edges and I think you're right on as to the issue.

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Vid you're wrong.

Vid and CNKay are absolutely correct. Machine sockets are used in all high reliability applications. I use them in both my profession and as a hobbyist and have never seen one "lift with my pinky." I suggest you buy better quality sockets, and as Vid explained it is not the round part that makes the contact with the flat pins, it is the "box."

Quoted from vid1900:

Don't buy cheap ones.

In any case, either would be acceptable in a pinball machine.

#469 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Machine Pin sockets have a 90 gram per pin withdrawal force ratings, so a standard 16 pin DIP would require over 3 pounds of lift.

He has very strong pinkies.

I know this is a thread on buying Chinese crap, but I would suggest people get their machined sockets from GPE. Seventy cents each and you know you're getting a good quality product.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=161

#477 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

No more than a few dollars each.

At that price, it's a knock-off. Twenty bucks for a 3M ZIF at mouser.

1 month later
#513 8 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Main, what a pain. I spent the last 90 minutes reworking my CPU board.

Shouldn't be that hard with a Hakko. My first guess would be you're not wiggling the lead as you hit the suction on the Hakko. I would also suggest you use a spudger (covered in the article) to break free that last little bit of solder that sticks the lead to the side of the through-hole.

See the following article which covers the Hakko desoldering gun, but the technique is the same.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1/page/3#post-2753805

Also make sure your setup has been properly cleaned and is cleaned fairly often while in use. Dirty filters, clogged tips, etc. will drop the suction power dramatically. The manual will provide the proper cleaning techniques and the following post will give you an idea of how often you need to clean the unit (this covers the FR300, but the frequency of cleaning is the same).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1#post-2728526

P.S. - The entire article is suggested reading before replacing RAM chips.

7 months later
#567 7 years ago

Not sure how this happened but the chip is not fitted properly in the socket. Note the gap on the bottom right pins. Probably something similar going on with the upper pins.

More likely to be the traces MorAlb pointed out, but something is not right with the way the chip is inserted into the socket.

5 months later
#611 7 years ago

As lyondsen stated it has spread to components below the battery holder. See the following for neutralization techniques. If left untreated it will continue to spread and damage traces.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.