Untitled (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9F6095BC-2380-4BAB-A602-400CA3165D48 (resized).jpeg
Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
Knipex (resized).jpg
IMG_6122 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Yeah this is what I was thinking. No scratchpad RAM.. so must be using the 6264? And then, is there any endurance issue with SRAM or does it have an unlimited number of writes?
Good point on the lamp matrix data during attract mode. No clue as to the inter-workings of the software.. plenty of people here customize ROMs though, so maybe someone can shed some light on it all.

Exactly, the RAM is being used not only for storage but continually for various background tasks. No calculations on my part but I would expect the RAM to be accessed hundreds of times a second. Yes, most would probably be reads but plenty of it could be writes too. In writing my operating system for the RetroPinball KOD, I know I have a number of "divide by" counters running through the 1 ms and 5 ms background interrupt routines. Fortunately, for my design, using a 8051 core processor, most of that is happening within the built in RAM within the CPU chip, not on the outside data bus. But I still have some tables out there I used for lamp and solenoid on and off times. So those would see hundreds of read and writes even during attract mode.

Unfortunately the 6800 and 6809 bus design does not work like the 8051 Microcontroller cores. There is what is called a "Stack Pointer". This is a register that tells the CPU where in RAM to store values when they are pushed and pulled as well as where to store and retrieve the program counter every time a subroutine is called. A normal machine code program would be jumping all over the memory map many times a second. Even worse with code that is compiled using a higher level language where everything is done using subroutine libraries.

All of this tends to tell me that the better product is to use the Simtek parts and not the Ramtron (personal opinion here), as they perform as regular CMOS SRAM while power is applied and then do a batch transfer of data to the NVRAM portion of the chip on power down.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

which means what?

That I need to get me one of them thar Super Duper Soldering Pots so I can re-socket a Bally AS-2518-35 board in 10 seconds flat!!!

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

You can buy 4 lots for $6 shipped. This thread went from 1 to 80 ICs for $6. We need a new guinea pig, I just want to know what they get

Well, someone in the US just bought 4 lots of 20 today (11-17). But, I just can't imagine what they are going to get. I am a cheap bastard but, come on, do you really expect to get a usable chip for 1 cent?

And they still have 9996 lots of 20 chips available. Better hurry!

2 weeks later
#132 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How would the LED behave?

If soldered in the correct direction, it would illuminate when power (+5v) is applied to the host board.

#142 8 years ago

What I noticed was a number of the cheaper sellers had 38 to 45 days shipping to the US. Normally, from the "full price" vendors, its 10 to 15 days and I often get it sooner.

So, your theory about filling a container verses air post, make sense.

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Do not know if it has been mentioned or not in this thread but I received my chips from the ebay link. In my package it gave a website where you can buy direct and pay with paypal for protection.
http://www.utsource.net/ic-datasheet/FM1608-120-PG-5587067.html
Price breaks can get this down to 3.73 each.
Has anyone determined that these are not a good option yet?

I cannot comment directly on the part you link to but I can share my experience with you about UTSOURCE. I know it has been posted that they are known for selling counterfeit parts but I have used them for a number of different semiconductors over the last couple of years and have always received "working" parts. Can't tell you if they are re-branded or other, just that they worked as required. Also, here are details of a transaction I had with them:

On December 10th of 2014, I purchased some FM16W08 SOT package ram. They had them at an unbelievable price of only $1.20 for a quantity of 16. So, I placed a purchase.

The next day I received an email indicating that the supplier they were using was "sold out" and the new supplier required $4.00 per unit.

I referred them to their current EBay listing where they were still offering to sell 10 pieces for $29.33.

They replied saying they could sell them to me at $2.933 each. Since this was still a good deal to me, I agreed and sent them the balance they requested.

I received my 16 pieces promptly and they were all good. Shipping for 16 pieces was $2.60 and they arrived in under 2 weeks.

Looking at their current Ebay listing price, they are now at $32.50 for 10 with a whopping $2.00 for shipping. Their website currently lists them for $4.33 each or $3.22 if you buy 10. So, always check their Ebay listings before placing your orders. But it appears they seem to match up pretty well now. I think they sell under 2 names, one of which is HKUTSOURCE.

Compared to their website pricing of $5.83 for 10, you can get them for $48.67 shipped off ebay which is basically their price for 11 on their website:

ebay.com link: 10PCS FM1608 120 P Encapsulation DIP 28 64Kb Bytewide FRAM Memory

I wouldn't hesitate to order 10 from them but would not risk buying 100 of them until you got and used the smaller batch first.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Seems like that should be something you'd see on a scope - or even a logic analyzer. I doubt they read too often.

No, actually, like we discussed before, in some games the same RAM chip used to hold bookkeeping and high scores is also used as "scratch pad" ram by the main CPU and can be read and/or written to hundreds of times a second.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I wonder how fast the switch matrix strobes on a WPC game. That would be a good benchmark value to guesstimate how long before 1 trillion read/write cycles happen.

interrupt driven. Once ever 2 ms as I recall. If they wrote the interupt routine like I have in the past, there are several read and writes to tables in RAM for both lamps and solenoids, as well as divide by timers.

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

WTF.. no ESD practice at all.
Some yahoo tried that with me on some oldsckool intel PIAs.... and I told him to refund me.
He was trying to squirel out of it... when I said; "had I seen these on the shelf without ESD baggie or ESD Foam, I would have left them there". He didn't argue and refunded the money.

Yup. For that price, they wrap them in static inducing shrink wrap.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I wonder what the folks think who are selling these from China. They probably have some steady trickle of orders, then suddenly a strange burst. The pinball effect.

No. The "Pinside Effect".

#280 8 years ago

I believe most do what the manufacturer recommends. Some do offer a choice as to what algarythm to use.

What you describe I think was called something like prototype mode. Works but wasn't guaranteed to last the full amount of time as a full burn.

#300 8 years ago

It is my assumption, that only about 4 of you here are looking at this from the business side of things (making and selling). The problem, if that's what you want to call it, is that many here are simply looking at the cheapest possible way to get NVRAM into their collection. Some are fine with the high end devices with customer support, while others are also fine dealing with bottom basement pricing from China for something that gets the job done. And there is apparently, a market in between.

After all, many of us deal in our own repairs at all levels and soldering a few cheap components together isn't much of a stretch to add to the repair skill set. And there are plenty of others that happily pay big bucks for others to do all the work. Two completely separate markets. It's the same for repairing original boards verses paying for brand new replacements.

To the sellers, if onesie twosie orders aren't worth the profit, simply offer singles at a high price and deeper discounts for 5 and 10 Qty sales.

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

What about the ones that ksarcade has? They are 25.00 though. I bought one for my rottendog board.

Looks fine. But I have to Laugh. Those are the ones many of us are building ourselves for around $5.00USD now with parts from China.

1 week later
#322 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

what i don't understand is that when i order things from Ebay that come from China, they are here in 10 to 15 days. But order from AliExpress, and it takes 30 days. how can that be?

There are also sellers on Ali that will ship faster than the 31 days shown. for the most part, the longer shipping times (30 to 45 days) are on the sellers with rock bottom prices. The higher priced products (even these NVRAMs) come with faster shipping times.

You really have to pay close attention to the ship time shown in the listing before clicking on BUY. The thing that is a bit weird is it seems the low priced sellers take about 2 weeks to even tell you your order has shipped. Where the shorter ship times usually alert you in only a couple of days. At least, that has been my experience so far.

1 week later
#338 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Image loading is disabled in your settings. un-hide5101-dip28_(resized).png
I created a new 5101 adapter for people that like to DIY. All through hole components. Jumper out and 7400 installed = dual CE operation. Jumper in and 7400 out = single CE operation. Might offer them up as kits for people buying their own FM1608.

Since it used in a lot of places, you can add just a tiny bit of PC to your design and run a Ground trace along the outer edge to provide all those grounds to unused pins. It would certainly clean up your design a bit. On the layout program I use, it allows me to hand route some traces prior to running the auto route routine. I don't know if you are auto routing or doing it 100% by eye and hand?

Also, remember unless you plan to read out the stored data in the future, you don't need to route A1 -> A1 and D0 -> D0 etc.. You can use any address pin that is closest to an adjoining address pin and the same for any data pin to pin choices. It doesn't matter how the cells in the device are selected internally or where a 1 or 0 is stored on a data pin. Whatever gets written in, will get read out correctly regardless of your choice of address and data pins. This can also drastically clean up a lot of traces and vias if you just look at what you see now and adjust for it and try another routing.

For example: 5101 Pin 1 is A3. 6264 Pin 2 is A12. In your design, they are right next to each other. If you change your schematic to be 5101 A3 -> 6264 A12, you get a short trace going pin to pin instead of scrolling all around and passing through a via to get to pin 7 of the 6264.

#340 8 years ago

Same holds true for your choice of gates within the 7400. And you might want to look into at least grounding the unused inputs of the 7400. Floating pins can cause problems. You can leave the unused outputs open

#346 8 years ago

I have found sometimes, it helps to slide the chip back and forth with a little tension on the zip socket on my programmer ( not all the way latched) to get a good contact on some older chips.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I have a rottendog board for my Funhouse. It has NVRAM and the 3 - AA battery holder with the long wires. Does it help to install the batteries and the NVRAM.... meaning by saving clock settings etc?

I see little benefit to using a NVRAM chip while leaving batteries still connected since the RAM will always be powered and simply act like normal SRAM.

Without looking at the data sheet, it is possible that the Ramtron chip may use more power than a low power CMOS static RAM would. And therefore drain the batteries faster.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, I opened a dispute for the failed chips, and they rejected it. They wanted me to send them back to China. I figured it would be expensive, so I went through the USPS website just to see how much it would be--almost $43. Good grief.

Who knows. It seems like it is similar to kitchen shrink wrap.

I had the same issue with $25 worth of counterfeit voltage regulators. Lowest I could find was $19 to send them back. When the return time expired, I posted neg. feedback. This was an eBay purchase.

#379 8 years ago

There are some active links for aliexpress which will get you some of the lower priced NVRAM being discussed beginning at post #34 in this thread.

And yes, this is for 6264 style dip packages that are plug and play is SOME applications.

1 week later
#422 8 years ago
Quoted from ddebuss:

Just ordered a 25 pack from barakandl @ $6 each shipped. Shipping notice in a couple hours (thanks Andrew). More pricey but I can crank them all out without the waiting and dealing with dead ones.

There is certainly a lot of value in pre-tested chips being shipped promptly from a US seller! Do you really want to wait 49 days to receive something questionable from China?

#433 8 years ago

Not sure what type of Zip/Zif socket your tester has but many Zif sockets contact the IC pin on the edges that are not normally touching a normal single or double wipe IC socket. So, even if the larger flat surfaces look clean, it may be the thin edges that are corroded from poor storage or used pulls.

8 months later
#568 7 years ago

Yup, cut traces when you pried the old chip off.

Here is a bit if advice to beginners:. Never pry up on an IC or socket. Use you fingers to slide it left and right and up and down. If it won't lift right out gently, you haven't freed all the pins yet. As you move it, you should be able to see each pin move within the hole. And never dig down with a flat head screwdriver to pry out a chip.

#573 7 years ago

Well, at least he got a photo before installing the socket so we know the source of the failure.

Unfortunately, the socket will need to come out again unless you want a bunch of "blue wire" on the back of the board.

#579 7 years ago

Harbor freight does sell close cutters (red handle $4.99). But they are not narrow tips. They are very sturdy and cut extremely flush. They can do the pins at the pcb but not along the sides of the IC.

2 months later
#607 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I wish the Neoloch testers wouldn't give "false positives" -- I haven't emailed David separately about that, but it gets a bit annoying having to run memory through several cycles even if it passes on the first, just to verify it's giving the correct results. And many people have posted if it fails on a chip, the next chip tested might also start off with a failure. So that for me turns into having to run every chip tested through at 2x cycles to make sure it's a valid result. Seems like something cached isn't getting cleared out.
My wishlist for the Inquisitor would be to see that issue cleared up, then every type of RAM "cleared out" once the test is complete. I'll probably still use some other methods to then verify the nvram modules I'm doing after that, I like not relying 100% on anything, but to know the RAM has been cleared for every type after testing was done would be nice.
One hardware wishlist I have for the Inquisitor is to move the ZIF socket below the LCD screen. Slows you down having it so close to the blade that sticks up on it. That and *anything* that could possibly make testing larger RAMs quicker. Maybe a faster PIC if the current one is running the tests as fast as it can.

If you have an Eprom programmer that either reports using either the Ramtron part, or the Dallas equivalent, you can always run a test of them by programming and verifying 00, FF, CC, and 55. Write, then verify, then write the new pattern and verify again. These 4 patterns (all zeroes, all ones, and then alternate 1's and 0's) normally will catch most bad parts. It may not take into account the shortest access time but that won't really matter since the pinball CPUs are running so slow.

Always do 00 last and you will have the chip ready to go fully wiped of any data.

EDIT:. Sorry for the somewhat duplicate info. I guess I didn't open the last page of posts.

7 months later
#619 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

So does this have advantages over NVRAM? Will this keep the clock going, or is the clock not kept on this chip?

No advantage. Just disadvantage since you would need to replace it in 10 to 15 years from date of install.

The clock requires power to the WPC ASIC chip. So, no external battery, no clock.

#629 6 years ago

You folks realize that the black claw is designed to pull PLCC packages (like the WPC ASIC chip), not normal dip ICs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.95
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.