Untitled (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
9F6095BC-2380-4BAB-A602-400CA3165D48 (resized).jpeg
Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
Knipex (resized).jpg
IMG_6122 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 8 years ago

Ok I have few games I would like to put NVRAM into. FT, SS, CV, MM, and IJ.
Where is the best place to order rom? I don't want to wait a month and get bad chips. I also don't want to worry about voltage issues etc.

Thanks
Ed

9 months later
#564 7 years ago

I tried my first attempt at adding a socket and installing an NVRAM chip today. I started with my Fish Tales game. I carefully as I could removed the old chip without damaging any pads. I installed the socket and put in the NVRAM chip. Everything looked great. Reinstalled the CPU board in the game and now it won't turn on. The display is all wonky, and a few solenoids are firing. I quickly turned it off. I checked all my connections and tried a different chip. No luck. Could I have fried the game Rom? I used an iron and solder wick to remove. I did not remove the game Rom, i'm thinking I maybe should have.

2016-10-01 15.40.28 (resized).jpg2016-10-01 15.40.28 (resized).jpg

2016-10-01 16.17.56 (resized).jpg2016-10-01 16.17.56 (resized).jpg

2016-10-01 16.18.14 (resized).jpg2016-10-01 16.18.14 (resized).jpg

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Yup, cut traces when you pried the old chip off.
Here is a bit if advice to beginners:. Never pry up on an IC or socket. Use you fingers to slide it left and right and up and down. If it won't lift right out gently, you haven't freed all the pins yet. As you move it, you should be able to see each pin move within the hole. And never dig down with a flat head screwdriver to pry out a chip.

You are correct. The chip was loose but I think I gently used the screwdriver and that was the beginning of my problems.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Not sure how this happened but the chip is not fitted properly in the socket. Note the gap on the bottom right pins. Probably something similar going on with the upper pins.
More likely to be the traces MorAlb pointed out, but something is not right with the way the chip is inserted into the socket.

The chip seemed fitted fine. I didn't see anything abnormal. Maybe the way the picture is. It all seemed ok when I installed it.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I think i see problems. Highlighted them in red.

Oh man. Looking at the board they are not visible but in the pictures it does look bad. This looks beyond my realm to figure out. I can see that the breaks on the top are related to the game Rom. This explains why the game won't boot an is going a bit crazy. The leads seem to go under U9. May need to send the board out for repair. The cost of learning.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I usually just clip the pins off the chip, then desolder the pins one by one. Safest method if you don't need the chip you're taking out again.

I was actually worried that using snips might do similar damage since there isn't much room. I was able to get the chip to come out easily once in the end, I don't exactly know why I used the screw driver under it. I guess I didn't think it was that fragile but I really is.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Very sorry to hear that the replacement didn't go well. I would not do this without a desoldering iron and clipping the legs off of chips -- especially if this is the first time someone attempts this. It cannot be overstated how fragile the traces are for this chip on WPC games. Any force can lift and tear them; applying heat too long to the solder pads can lift and remove them.
That said, the damage in the photos can be repaired. Check out Terry's definitive guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1
And this post is in the area for repairing traces: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1/page/4#post-2768534

Thanks. I will use clips the next time I attempt this. I have done chip removal before but of boards that are not this sensitive. I didn't realize there were that many traces on the top of the board. I will have to pay extra attention to this for sure. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I am sure that I could have removed the chip easily enough if I only use my fingers and nothing more. I have to agree that clips are the way to go. I will pick up a pair.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Ed,
Sayal on Matheson has the flush cutters and the IC remover.

Thanks. That's where I was thinking to go and see if they carried them. I bought my sockets from there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 15.00
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience?tu=Edster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.