Topic Stats

• 666 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 117 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
Knipex (resized).jpg
IMG_6122 (resized).JPG
IMG_6121 (resized).JPG
WihaChipLifter (resized).jpg
IMG_3277 (resized).JPG
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
Fusion PCB Manufacturing   Prototype PCB Assembly   Seeed Studio (1) (resized).png
IMG_6078 (resized).JPG
IMG_6076 (resized).JPG
IMG_6074 (resized).JPG
IMG_6077 (resized).JPG
IMG_6075 (resized).JPG
20170310_201811 (resized).jpg
s-l500 (resized).jpg

There are 666 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
#651 10 days ago

My last batch of 1608 were defective as well. Same ebay seller.

#652 10 days ago
Quoted from Astill:

I'm pretty sure I bought from him a few years ago and they were all good. But this time out of a set of 10. 5 would lock the cpu on boot up, 2 would read ram failure and 3 work but won't save data after turning off the game. Got refund from him and ordered from a set of 10 from this seller. Won't get them for a month but will post back if they're good.
ebay.com link » 10pcs Fm1608 120 Pg Dip 28

#653 10 days ago
Quoted from Astill:

I had a bad batch of 20 ordered in may this year also from the same seller.

#654 9 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Just a FYI. Finally ran out of my old stock of nvram. Bought from same ebay seller (after a couple years) and this time all were bad. Did get a refund but still sucks. If anyone else got from them and they worked let me know.
ebay.com link » 10pcs Fm1608 120 Pg Fm1608 120 P Fm1608 64kbit Fram Nvram Dip28

Quoted from Astill:

Quoted from cudabee:

I had a bad batch of 20 ordered in may this year also from the same seller.

Guess it's safe tp say DO NOT BUY FROM THIS EBAY SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!! adeleparts2010

pasted_image (resized).png
#655 9 days ago

I ordered mine in 2017 from the same reseller and they work perfectly fine in my WPC/WPC95 and DataEast machines.

#656 9 days ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I ordered mine in 2017 from the same reseller and they work perfectly fine in my WPC/WPC95 and DataEast machines.

Same with me. I ordered 20 of them around same year and they all worked in W-system 11 b-c, WPC all and Stern whitestar.
Guess they changed suppliers.

#657 9 days ago
Quoted from Borygard:

There's one fantastic reason to try and save it, and it's the best reason of all... If you can't remove an IC on a board you're working on in one useable piece, you shouldn't be doing board work.

These are my thought exactly; in fact the game should be 100% operations with the original RAM you removed installed in the socket you added to the board...if you can't achieve this than maybe you should consider sending it out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/55#post-4860527

#658 9 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

These are my thought exactly; in fact the game should be 100% operations with the original RAM you removed installed in the socket you added to the board...if you can't achieve this than maybe you should consider sending it out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/55#post-4860527

I can remove it in one piece but why when its so much easier to clip the legs off the old chip? I will never use the original chip again. Even if the nvram went bad id get another nvram.

#659 9 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Same with me. I ordered 20 of them around same year and they all worked in W-system 11 b-c, WPC all and Stern whitestar.
Guess they changed suppliers.

That's unfortunate...I also had ordered several dozen of the 256Kbit chips a few years back and they all worked perfectly.

#660 9 days ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I can remove it in one piece but why when its so much easier to clip the legs off the old chip? I will never use the original chip again. Even if the nvram went bad id get another nvram.

It defines a level of board repair skill that most people just don't have anymore. There is more to board repair than just removing the IC, you also have to not overheat the board which can cause damage to the board itself. Having the RAM still function after its removed means you did not exceed any temperature thresholds when removing the part.

Quoted from Mitch:

its so much easier to clip the legs off the old chip?

I actually disagree that lead clipping is easier than removing the part intact. If you have professional level desolating skills and equipment, its actually easier to remove the part intact and you will also never accidentally sever a trace with your clippers.

#661 9 days ago

I just use a chainsaw and a blowtorch....Key is to have at least three Heady Toppers first. Looks professional when finished, every time.

No one buys from Aliexpress anymore?

#662 9 days ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I just use a chainsaw and a blowtorch....Key is to have at least three Heady Toppers first. Looks professional when finished, every time.

I keep a nice, 24oz 'ball-peen' IC installation tool in the garage. Sounds like you can use one of those.

#663 9 days ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I was going to ask if anyone has tried sellers on Ali. It has been a few years since I purchased these, and the last batch I bought of 20+, all were good (or perhaps one was bad -- I can't remember.) . I still have about 10 left, but just purchased another 10 from this seller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32596337719.html

I'll report back when I get them and have a chance to test them.

#664 8 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I actually disagree that lead clipping is easier than removing the part intact. If you have professional level desolating skills and equipment, its actually easier to remove the part intact and you will also never accidentally sever a trace with your clippers.

Any "pro" knows the right way to snip IC legs... there's no way to damage the PCB if you're doing it right. I have a Pace desoldering station, but I still snip and pluck when replacing a common component. It's safer (less heat, and no chance of pulling a top-side trace) and I can actually do it faster. But then again, I've replaced hundreds (maybe thousands?) of RAM chips this way. The important thing is that you do what you're comfortable with, and can perform safely. If I'm working on someone else's board, I'm not taking any risks that may cause me to have to do additional work.

And yes, I am quite familiar with botched NVRAM installs from people who think they know how to use a soldering iron (I am the guy behind scoresaves.com). I occasionally repair failed installs from customers. You'd be shocked and appalled at what I've seen....

#665 8 days ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I was going to ask if anyone has tried sellers on Ali. It has been a few years since I purchased these, and the last batch I bought of 20+, all were good (or perhaps one was bad -- I can't remember.) . I still have about 10 left, but just purchased another 10 from this seller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32596337719.html
I'll report back when I get them and have a chance to test them.

I've bought well over 50 NVRAM chips from AliExpress. I've never had a single chip fail. I have had one or two that ended up with broken legs as the packaging of these is typically nothing more than stacking them up and wrapping them, then placing in a small padded envelope.

#666 8 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Any "pro" knows the right way to snip IC legs... there's no way to damage the PCB if you're doing it right. I have a Pace desoldering station, but I still snip and pluck when replacing a common component. It's safer (less heat, and no chance of pulling a top-side trace) and I can actually do it faster. But then again, I've replaced hundreds (maybe thousands?) of RAM chips this way. The important thing is that you do what you're comfortable with, and can perform safely. If I'm working on someone else's board, I'm not taking any risks that may cause me to have to do additional work.
And yes, I am quite familiar with botched NVRAM installs from people who think they know how to use a soldering iron (I am the guy behind scoresaves.com). I occasionally repair failed installs from customers. You'd be shocked and appalled at what I've seen....

I used to repair a lot of video game boards. Did hundreds of Mcr and Atari boards sets. Those I would always pull the chips out in one piece. Never had a problem. With any pinball board like Got system 3, Williams system 11 or WPC boards I'm cutting the legs off one side of the chip. Chips are cheap. Boards are expensive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quakertown, PA
$ 16.00
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Machine - For Sale
Marshville, NC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 47.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 666 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside