(Topic ID: 148148)

NVRAM - Does It Not Save Clock Settings?

By scampcamp

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have NVRAM ready to go in my TZ & Funhouse & have read that may not save the clock settings. Is this true.

#2 8 years ago

It's true that the realtime clock will not maintain the correct time without batteries.

#3 8 years ago

That kinda stinks. So it's only purpose is to save the high scores and settings?

#4 8 years ago

Yes. On the vast majority of games it's a perfect solution. On a few like TZ, Funhouse, JM, etc. with a midnight madness mode it affects that mode only.

#5 8 years ago

TZ has midnight madness?
Thought the only disadvantage on a TZ is the clock on the playfield an incorrect time, when idle and syncing to display the actual time.

#6 8 years ago

You are correct, no midnight madness in TZ but it does need proper timekeeping for accurate clock function.

#7 8 years ago

Why does Funhouse need the clock setting saved?

#8 8 years ago

One thing to add - I've seen plenty of WPCs where the RTC doesn't hold time even with batteries installed.

So, even with batteries, often the clocks aren't accurate.

#9 8 years ago

JWJ - doesn't the crystal need changed in that case?
big-daddy enterprises sells them for 35 cents. I've had a few games where they gets months off with the internal clock with perfectly working batteries.
If the crystal is out of spec, that would cause a fast or slow moving clock when the game is turned off.
Or am I all wet?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I've seen plenty of WPCs where the RTC doesn't hold time even with batteries installed.

Yup. Me too. I like the idea of TZ showing ToD during attract mode, but it was never right so I gave up caring about it.

Funhouse? I don't think it needs/uses ToD.

Quoted from dgoett:

JWJ - doesn't the crystal need changed in that case?

I don't think that will help. I don't know why the RTC loses time, but if the crystal was "off", which they never are, the MPU wouldn't run right.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 8 years ago

LOL I found this out today after installing it in my TZ. A lot of my WPC games experience date setting problems but never time. For instance, my TZ before I installed the nvram would always keep the correct time but always would be a month or 2 off on the date. What causes this behaviour? I have a few games that do this.

#12 8 years ago

Yeah, I ordered 50 crystals late last year, because the 6 I got 10 years ago was about to run out. Don't replace a lot of them.

I like the ones Andrew (barakandl) uses, because they are low profile and are unlikely to get broken off. When my pack of 50 runs out, I'm switching to the ones he uses

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

LOL I found this out today after installing it in my TZ. A lot of my WPC games experience date setting problems but never time. For instance, my TZ before I installed the nvram would always keep the correct time but always would be a month or 2 off on the date.

Since putting NVRAM in my Getaway and WH2O, both of them reset the time to 01:00 after being turned off and also do funny things like advancing the month or year by 1. The actual date itself seems to stay correct.

Unfortunately I don't know if this was caused by the NVRAM as I didn't ever check the clocks prior to putting in the NVRAM. All other settings and scores are stored correctly.

Can anyone confirm for certain that this is a normal behaviour even with the batteries installed, or that it is a problem with the crystals, or just a design flaw in general, etc?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

...I don't think that will help. I don't know why the RTC loses time, but if the crystal was "off", which they never are, the MPU wouldn't run right...

Different crystal. There are two on WPC CPUs, one for the clock which is linked to the ASIC, and one for the MPU. However, the one for the clock likely isn't bad or off, it's just the nature of the beast on WPC CPUs.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

it's just the nature of the beast on WPC CPUs.

I wonder if the inability to keep time/date is similar between a WPC-089 MPU and a WPC-95 MPU. I've never tracked time/date with my WPC-95 games. Same ASIC. Probably the same crystal.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

So it's only purpose is to save the high scores and settings?

No,its purpose is to get those batteries off the board.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

No,its purpose is to get those batteries off the board.

Yes... you are correct.... now that I think about it.

#18 8 years ago

Since we are talking crystals....

the ones that suck are the old ones in a big can found on clock circuits from late 70s and early 80s. The can is glued shut around the base. The glue breaks after 30 years(usually after washing the clean PCB in my cases) and causes a dead crystal, out of time, or intermittent operation. The other problem with them is they are large and protrude off the board. I often see the can of them damaged or squished. I bought 100 pack of new modern crystals a while back for like 5 cents each, they are probably 15% the size of the old ones. I replace every 3.58MHz with a modern new one now after some problems. Then i know i just don't have to deal with it, worth the 5 cents while the iron is hot since i always end up replacing CPU sockets on these old boards.

#19 8 years ago

Will ANY crystal the same frequency work? Or are there other factors to think about? (Voltage, current, draw, etc?)

#20 8 years ago

Not all Crystals are made alike. There are differences in some and how they are used. Often, it boils down to the value of capacitor they are designed to work with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-does-it-not-save-clock-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.