(Topic ID: 118461)

NVRAM Adapters $16 free shipping (not mine)

By acebathound

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Turtle
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (2).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I remember you mentioning this & confirming I also had issues with SIMTEK's. Yet I saw a few months ago that Marco was selling the SIMTEK ICs at one point & they posted a list of what needs to be done per manufacturer -- http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STK12C68 This of course threw me because I had no luck getting SIMTEK based boards working reliably in Data East machines even without pin 26 connected and the diode jumpered. I'd love to know if someone has actually gotten it to work reliably.

I have been experimenting with 12C68's too and experienced also problems at Data East MPU's. At WMS sys11's and other boards I personally never had problems with Simtek NVRAM's. I use them in "autostore mode" which need a 2 capacitors and a resistor as I didn't want to rely on old power supplies....

I found out a solution to make Simtek 12C68's work at Data East Boards. The problems are caused by the transistor in the /CS line. Remove this transistor and belonging resistors. Invert the /CS signal with an unused port at the 7404 (6F) nearby. Combine this inverted signal with the /reset signal (which drived the base of the removed transistor) at an unused NAND gate at the 74LS00 nearby (7E). Connect the output of this NAND gate to the /CS at the 12C68 NVRAM. Remove the Pull up resistor there as well. It only takes 4 pieces of wire and no trace cutting. I wrote a PDF document about this mod with some pictures, send me a PM if you are interested. Some newer SRAM devices suffer from the same problem at Data East MPU's; I remember a topic at pinside from someone who ran into problems after ordering 6264 equivalents from GPE.

I like the Denikar NVRAM adapters by the way.

Marco

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Thanks MarAlb!!! That helps confirm an issue specific to Data East boards like I had thought might be happening. You just saved me a ton of time!!! I had thought I'd get back to that whole fiasco of a project at some point, but knowing it's an issue with the circuit on those boards helps tremendously.
    I really wasn't having a lot of faith in SIMTEK because I had never seen it work in all the adapters I was trying to build. I invested $850 in ~125x SIMTEK STK12C68-SF45's back in 2012 that basically became unusable to me because despite hooking it up per data sheets with pin26 disconnected and the auto-store caps in place... it wasn't working properly in Data East machines. Knowing the issue, I'd feel more comfortable using it in a product as long as it's not going in Data East machines I had no issues with adapters built for classic Bally/Stern/Gottlieb/Williams at all. Don't think I ever tried a System 11 since I figured the circuitry was so close to Data East.

You're welcome....I wish it works out for you. Technicians should help and learn from eachother and not compete who is the best or who makes the best products and bla bla. It seems it is hard for some people to accept others also have certain capabilities.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-adapters-16-free-shipping-not-mine?tu=maralb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.