(Topic ID: 118461)

NVRAM Adapters $16 free shipping (not mine)

By acebathound

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Turtle
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (2).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

I mentioned this chip before, but I think it's worth pointing out again, the M48Z58Y:
    http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/memory/battery-backed-sram/Pages/7503949-M48Z58Y-70PC1.aspx?IM=0
    $10 for a safe solution that will last 20+ years. That's cheaper (and easier) than alkaline batteries, so there's really no reason for using remote holders (besides WPC games that use the clock).

Just a warning: The coin op industry does use this chip in a few games. Konami liked it (the Time keeper version). They do fail periodically and they sometimes don't last the amount of time they are supposed to. I would personally avoid any chip with a built in battery unless you welcome the idea of having to change it in the future. It is the batteries that normally fail on these.

The Dallas versions of these chips were supposed to last 10 years. Some, if not many of them didn't. If this is supposed to last 20 years, there is no way they will all make it to that mark. We were changing M48T58Ys out sometimes in the first or second year. Silent Scope was made in 1999, By 2009, I would say every chip had been changed out. Now, we are on the second round on some of these. All chips were bought brand new from authorized distributors.

The $15 or $16 options are a much better choice in my opinion. Well worth the extra $5.00, plug and play and should outlast our lives of collecting. Obviously, as with anything electronic, some will fail to perform through the entire life expectancy the manufacturers provide.

The $29 universal product is a good tool box item. But, I see it hard to swallow the extra cost if you know exactly what game you are buying it for and have no plans to ever take it out (its intended purpose). But to each their own. If $15 is too much, you can build the 6264 version yourself for less. I discussed this in another thread a while back which is where the $15 product stemmed from.

$16 is almost too much for my cheap bastard A$$ so with the help of OSH park, I even make my own 5101 Bally/Stern version for less. But that was before I knew the $16 version existed. Which was the whole point of the original post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-adapters-16-free-shipping-not-mine?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.