(Topic ID: 118461)

NVRAM Adapters $16 free shipping (not mine)

By acebathound

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Turtle
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Does anyone know if the 5101 is already socketed on a system 80B board? I can't get to my machine right now.
    Thanks

No, it is hard soldered in from the factory. They fail enough that you often find them in a socket though, worth a look.

#51 9 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

You are incorrect, the comparison was done with the less expensive 6116/6264 version. If the comparison was done with the universal version the price is $184.45! Even using the 6116/6264 version it is more than twice the cost. Cost wise for me as a consumer I am better off financially buying two separate chips then buying one with twice the compatibility. The reality is these will be put in one machine and left anyway so the added compatibility is pointless for me as well.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but they're not from my site...

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).pngScreenshot (3).png

Shipping to Canada is selected in both. I can't do anything about shipping costs out of the country, the absolute cheapest shipping I can do is $21 for a small flat rate Priority box. PayPal requires tracking and only allows for Priority or Express Mail as options.

You don't have interest in the additional features that anyPin NVRAM offers, that doesn't mean others won't. It's great to have options in the products we buy, you found one less expensive that suits your needs. That's great.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#52 9 years ago

To Canada -- Priority is expensive (but not nearly as bad as Australia!). First class mail to Canada and many other countries is now tracked. Zero insurance but nobody gets anything from a postal insurance claim anyways.

For example of Canadian tracking -- see:
    https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?strOrigTrackNum=LZ172396442US

If mailing several per week - look into a service such as Endicia. Insurance that *really* pays plus at a fraction of the cost of the insurance from USPS.

#53 9 years ago

I've sent over 10k packages with Endicia. I concur with Ed.

In general, NVRAM is pretty straightforward. The anypin adapters are nice, and while I can understand why some like having the ability to have 1 solution that will truly work on any pin, I've been fine buying the lower cost ones for the games I typically work on. I've also used RAMTRON and SIMTEK NVRAMs, and they work fine.

There are people who will buy from Rob because he has an awesome rep, and makes a great product. There are people that will buy whatever is cheapest.

Either choice is fine.

Rob's passionate about his product. I'd rather see that than see him not care.

Whatever solution you choose - good job getting those alkaline batteries off the board. Even at 40 bucks, the anypin is a cheaper and better solution than cleaning up alkaline damage.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but they're not from my site...

Shipping to Canada is selected in both. I can't do anything about shipping costs out of the country, the absolute cheapest shipping I can do is $21 for a small flat rate Priority box. PayPal requires tracking and only allows for Priority or Express Mail as options.
    You don't have interest in the additional features that anyPin NVRAM offers, that doesn't mean others won't. It's great to have options in the products we buy, you found one less expensive that suits your needs. That's great.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Screenshot (2).png 55 KB

Screenshot (3).png 56 KB

Please read my posts. The prices are from your site. Prices are all in parts, shipping, EXCHANGE in all 3 examples. Take $149.96x1.23 (PayPal rate yesterday)= $184.45.

3x 6264 Denikar - $62.45
    3x 6264/6116 anypin - $147.55
    3x universal anypin - $184.45

That is what I see in order for me to get nvram. That is what my visa card gets charged. Obviously you have no control over the exchange rate right now but the comparison is consistent on all 3 examples.

#55 9 years ago

I mentioned this chip before, but I think it's worth pointing out again, the M48Z58Y:

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/memory/battery-backed-sram/Pages/7503949-M48Z58Y-70PC1.aspx?IM=0

$10 for a safe solution that will last 20+ years. That's cheaper (and easier) than alkaline batteries, so there's really no reason for using remote holders (besides WPC games that use the clock).

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

I mentioned this chip before, but I think it's worth pointing out again, the M48Z58Y:
    http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/memory/battery-backed-sram/Pages/7503949-M48Z58Y-70PC1.aspx?IM=0
    $10 for a safe solution that will last 20+ years. That's cheaper (and easier) than alkaline batteries, so there's really no reason for using remote holders (besides WPC games that use the clock).

Just a warning: The coin op industry does use this chip in a few games. Konami liked it (the Time keeper version). They do fail periodically and they sometimes don't last the amount of time they are supposed to. I would personally avoid any chip with a built in battery unless you welcome the idea of having to change it in the future. It is the batteries that normally fail on these.

The Dallas versions of these chips were supposed to last 10 years. Some, if not many of them didn't. If this is supposed to last 20 years, there is no way they will all make it to that mark. We were changing M48T58Ys out sometimes in the first or second year. Silent Scope was made in 1999, By 2009, I would say every chip had been changed out. Now, we are on the second round on some of these. All chips were bought brand new from authorized distributors.

The $15 or $16 options are a much better choice in my opinion. Well worth the extra $5.00, plug and play and should outlast our lives of collecting. Obviously, as with anything electronic, some will fail to perform through the entire life expectancy the manufacturers provide.

The $29 universal product is a good tool box item. But, I see it hard to swallow the extra cost if you know exactly what game you are buying it for and have no plans to ever take it out (its intended purpose). But to each their own. If $15 is too much, you can build the 6264 version yourself for less. I discussed this in another thread a while back which is where the $15 product stemmed from.

$16 is almost too much for my cheap bastard A$$ so with the help of OSH park, I even make my own 5101 Bally/Stern version for less. But that was before I knew the $16 version existed. Which was the whole point of the original post!

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Just a warning: The coin op industry does use this chip in a few games. Konami liked it (the Time keeper version). They do fail periodically and they sometimes don't last the amount of time they are supposed to. I would personally avoid any chip with a built in battery unless you welcome the idea of having to change it in the future. It is the batteries that normally fail on these.
    The Dallas versions of these chips were supposed to last 10 years. Some, if not many of them didn't. If this is supposed to last 20 years, there is no way they will all make it to that mark. We were changing M48T58Ys out sometimes in the first or second year. Silent Scope was made in 1999, By 2009, I would say every chip had been changed out. Now, we are on the second round on some of these. All chips were bought brand new from authorized distributors.

True, the rated (guaranteed) lifetime is 10 years on these. In most applications they meet or exceed this. I have seen many Dallas battery-backed SRAMs that are still working after more than 20 years. The ones that didn't hold up as well are the timekeeper versions (built-in clock, like in the Konami games you mention), which you would not use on a pinball. So worst case they only last 10 years (still a good deal). You're more likely to see 15-20 years out of one (essentially the shelf life of a lithium coin cell, since there is very little current draw from the low-power CMOS SRAM chip inside).
    Just presenting this as another viable option. I have these chips on hand for other reasons, so I use them in my pinballs as well. For a few bucks more, the FRAM chip adapters are an excellent deal.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

Please read my posts. The prices are from your site. Prices are all in parts, shipping, EXCHANGE in all 3 examples. Take $149.96x1.23 (PayPal rate yesterday)= $184.45.
    3x 6264 Denikar - $62.45
    3x 6264/6116 anypin - $147.55
    3x universal anypin - $184.45
    That is what I see in order for me to get nvram. That is what my visa card gets charged. Obviously you have no control over the exchange rate right now but the comparison is consistent on all 3 examples.

Gotcha. Yes, exchange rates change everything don't they.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#59 9 years ago

I would never recommend any on board battery solution for any game. I've seen way too many leak, and way too many destroyed boards. There's no doubt in my mind if people saw and had to deal with as many damaged boards as I have, no one would ever put a battery on a board again, no matter how frugal. It's just not worth the risk.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I would never recommend any on board battery solution for any game. I've seen way too many leak, and way too many destroyed boards. There's no doubt in my mind if people saw and had to deal with as many damaged boards as I have, no one would ever put a battery on a board again, no matter how frugal. It's just not worth the risk.

I don't think anyone has recommended that.... If you are referring to the battery-backed SRAM chips (aka "Dallas"), they consist of a lithium coin cell encased in epoxy. Nothing can leak from them. Proven safe.

#61 9 years ago

I don't usually like to get into these kind of debates since I started taking the live and let live zen approach to pinball, but I'll put the quality of my products up against anyone else who is selling NVRAM adapters. It's not really the type of product that even has the potential for that much variability in quality anyway, assuming that the manufacturer is using original RAMTRON parts. It's an extremely simple product. Infinitely less complicated than a modern automobile. I'm pretty sure we're all using basically the same pins, PCBs, RAM, and solder. I've never seen anyone who's actually a customer of mine complain about the quality of my parts in an open forum or elsewhere and I've got 100+ happy customers over the better part of a decade. Years longer than anyone else who currently sells these adapters. Additionally, there is no RAM adapter on the market today which works with every pinball machine. Gottlieb system 1, for example, is not supported by adapters from any manufacturer. The RAMTRON FM16W08 in use by everyone (as far as I know) making these has a conventional data bus with shared input and output. The 5101 RAM had separate buses for data input and output. The vast majority of pinball machine MPUs simply jumper these buses together, in effect creating a shared bus like a modern RAM would have. That's what makes it easy to drop a modern RAM into the circuit, replacing the original 5101(s). Computing systems which use the data input and output buses of the 5101 separately won't be compatible with "basic" RAM adapters on the market today which are dependant on these buses being tied together.

See the conversion I developed for the Stern MPU-200 MPU to replace two 5101 RAMs with 6116 for more information on this concept.

http://warpzonearcade.com/?p=392

As far the the WPC date/time issue goes, another option is to install an NVRAM adapter and jumper the RAM so it's connected directly to +5V (jumper W6) and continue to use a remote battery pack or memory capacitor to keep the date/time. That way you won't lose the adjustments, high score, etc... if the batteries go dead. You should just need to reset the date/time. Technically you could do that without jumpering the RAM to +5V, but the batteries or cap will be powering the RAM all the time and drain faster.

Lindsey
    http://PinForge.com

2 weeks later
    #62 9 years ago

Looks like the website is down. Anybody got any info on that?

#63 9 years ago

Website has said "Under Construction" since at least last weekend. That's the only thing I'm aware of.

#64 9 years ago

I ordered two and they have arrived, pm me for his email. Yet to connect them. Good service.

#65 9 years ago

Same here. His service was great and he even went through extra mile and included a socket. I haven't installed it yet, but I will update afterwards.

#66 9 years ago

I bought and installed 3 of them, all worked perfect, 2 in Sega's and one in a Stern T3.

#67 9 years ago

Curious for those that bought, is the chip used Cypress brand? Has a tree with a circle around it for the logo..

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Curious for those that bought, is the chip used Cypress brand? Has a tree with a circle around it for the logo..

I am curious too - the last ones I bought from mouser stiil had the ramtron logo ...

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

I am curious too - the last ones I bought from mouser stiil had the ramtron logo ...

I bought some from Future Electronics and they're Cypress. I'd imagine the RAMTRON branded are drying up though, at least when ordered from authorized distributors within the US.

I'm only asking because I know at one point these were using RAMTRON, but the website shows CYPRESS ICs being used. These were confirmed to be using genuine nvram from the manufacturer (or authorized distributor). I was just curious to find out if they're shipping with Cypress in them now.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I bought some from Future Electronics and they're Cypress. I'd imagine the RAMTRON branded are drying up though, at least when ordered from authorized distributors within the US.
    I'm only asking because I know at one point these were using RAMTRON, but the website shows CYPRESS ICs being used. These were confirmed to be using genuine nvram from the manufacturer (or authorized distributor). I was just curious to find out if they're shipping with Cypress in them now.

The last reel i got was dated 25th week of 2013. RAMTRON branded.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Cypress logo.

#72 9 years ago

Thanks mtmellum! Hopefully the Denikar website will be back at some point, they were a great price.

#73 9 years ago

I installed my NVRAM in T2 last night. Everything went well and it functions fine.

#74 9 years ago

Anyone have an email address for http://www.denikar.com/ I need one for my Black Knight.

#76 9 years ago

Thanks Gorno!

#77 9 years ago

No problem.

#78 9 years ago

The website referenced by the OP has now been down over 2 weeks.

#79 9 years ago

Pinside has bought all the stock!!!!

2 months later
    #80 8 years ago

So what is going on with these? Was finally gonna order a couple...

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So what is going on with these? Was finally gonna order a couple...

Doesn't seem like the guy making them was able to keep up with demand -- so the website has been down for quite a while. They were originally posted on KLOV and I'd imagine there was much lighter demand over there. People have day jobs, etc and this was probably just something made and offered for sale without expectation of huge volumes of orders. Considering the quality & that the nvram was being sourced directly from the manufacturer (and not cheaper "unknown quality" parts imported from overseas) it's no surprise there was huge demand.. but profit margins were/are probably pretty thin at the price these were offered at.

I believe some people indicated in this thread they were successful emailing and placing an order. So.. right now the guy making them is probably just throttling demand instead of allowing people to place large orders via a website and having unhappy customers if he can't keep up. Just my opinion on what may be going on.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Doesn't seem like the guy making them was able to keep up with demand -- so the website has been down for quite a while. They were originally posted on KLOV and I'd imagine there was much lighter demand over there. People have day jobs, etc and this was probably just something made and offered for sale without expectation of huge volumes of orders. Considering the quality & that the nvram was being sourced directly from the manufacturer (and not cheaper "unknown quality" parts imported from overseas) it's no surprise there was huge demand.. but profit margins were/are probably pretty thin at the price these were offered at.
    I believe some people indicated in this thread they were successful emailing and placing an order. So.. right now the guy making them is probably just throttling demand instead of allowing people to place large orders via a website and having unhappy customers if he can't keep up. Just my opinion on what may be going on.
    ---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

I see. Did it work well? What boards did they work with? I wish I ordered back when the site was still around at least...

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I see. Did it work well? What boards did they work with? I wish I ordered back when the site was still around at least...

You can still get the AnyPin DMD+ for $19.99 from www.lockwhenlit.com

#84 8 years ago

Back up for the long weekend. http://denikar.com/
    Just ordered some.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Back up for the long weekend. http://denikar.com/
    Just ordered some.

Thanks, ordered!

#86 8 years ago

Got mine already even with the long weekend.

#87 8 years ago

Got mine yesterday. Look great. Cannot wait to install them!

#88 8 years ago

I too ordered again after I forgot one last time around.

#89 8 years ago

Ordered, received, installed...work great!

In Ripley's
    WP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpgWP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpg

1 month later
    #90 8 years ago

More in stock now!

1 year later
    #92 7 years ago

Don't shoot the messenger if I cause you to spend money Just noticed DENIKAR.com website is up (has been down quite a bit over the last year). Now offering ONLY bulk packs of 10x nvram. 5101, 6116 & 6514. 6116 is Out Of Stock.

10x for $130.00 free shipping in the US. That's even cheaper than these were being offered before (something like $14.70ea in bulk).

I think the guy selling these sends out Priority Mail (he did in the past anyway). And $4 additional shipping to Canada which is unheard of these days lol. I still haven't figured out how the math works out, but this remains one of the best deals in nvram IMHO. Those CYPRESS chips being used cost $6.00 minimum. Wish I could hit that kind of pricing with CYPRESS parts. Buy it up before he takes the site down again!

4 weeks later
    #93 7 years ago

Thanks to acebathound. I bought several of these and they work great. At $13/each I thought it was a killer deal.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-adapters-16-free-shipping-not-mine/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.