(Topic ID: 118461)

NVRAM Adapters $16 free shipping (not mine)

By acebathound

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Turtle
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20150531_13_52_14_Pro.jpg
    Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Many posts on NVRAM adapters these days, but I'm surprised the Denikar adapters have only been mentioned a few times in threads. Located @ http://www.denikar.com/ are $16 shipped nvram adapters. They ship out Priority Mail and there are also discounts if ordering multiples. 6264, 6116 or 5101 variants. The 5101 adapters I believe work in Gottlieb System 80s. The website also says the ferroRAM chips come direct from the manufacturer, meaning you know you're getting good stuff.

**NOTE: These aren't my adapters nor do I have any affiliation with the website or creator.

I'm posting this because they are a really great price if they're truly using genuine nvram bought from the manufacturer and because of that definitely worth consideration to anyone looking at their nvram options these days. I think the guy creating them hangs out mostly on the KLOV arcade forums and doesn't really post here.

Of course there are many other people making great nvram products (including myself) and you should buy from whoever you want to support. I'm just bringing attention to another option that really hasn't gotten much press on Pinside.

#2 9 years ago

Nice find!

Ordering 5 makes the price $14.70 and free Priority shipping...

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nice find!
    Ordering 5 makes the price $14.70 and free Priority shipping...

Yeah it's insane really. The business model must be based on volume orders. Genuine NVRAM from the manufacturer or authorized distributor is around $6ea these days. Priority Shipping is $5.05 at the cheapest. A custom board & the other components are at least another couple of dollars. So likely $13 cost into an order of a single $16.00 adapter. Then there's Paypal fees & then 25% to the government. Someone else figure it out because I can't But then on multiple adapters.. the business model starts making sense.

#4 9 years ago

That is a really good deal. I wonder if the PCB sockets are included as well.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for posting.

#6 9 years ago

How do you make these work with WPC-S? What else do you need?

#7 9 years ago

Bookmarked, thanks

You'd need either SIP strips or a machine pin socket to install these on a board. Remove the RAM chip, insert socket/sip strips, solder socket in, put NVRAM in socket.

Since these have round legs, they don't sit well in a common twin wipe socket.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Bookmarked, thanks
    You'd need either SIP strips or a machine pin socket to install these on a board. Remove the RAM chip, insert socket/sip strips, solder socket in, put NVRAM in socket.
    Since these have round legs, they don't sit well in a common twin wipe socket.

Thank you sir. Much cheaper than the Anypin nvram.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

That is a really good deal. I wonder if the PCB sockets are included as well.

I believe so. Maybe someone else who's recently ordered can confirm, but as of last year an ic socket was included with each.

#10 9 years ago

If you put these in a WPC game does it still keep time? Also if you don't turn the game on for a few weeks will it lose its settings?

#11 9 years ago

WPC era machines WILL NOT keep time without the backup battery. The ASIC on the CPU board keeps track of the time and without the backup battery, the time will be lost every time the machine is turned off...

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

WPC era machines WILL NOT keep time without the backup battery. The ASIC on the CPU board keeps track of the time and without the backup battery, the time will be lost every time the machine is turned off...

Well that sux ill just stick with remote battery holders

#13 9 years ago

Technically, with NVRAM on a WPC machine, time stops when you power the machine off and then starts again when you power it back on. Otherwise you would get an error message every time you powered on saying date and time not set.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-games-should-not-use-nvram#post-2200388

viperrwk

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Well that sux ill just stick with remote battery holders

I would not let the fact that the date/time is not maintained when the game is powered off dissuade you from trying the NVRAM. The only games that I probably will not change are those that have midnight madness mode in them and even them I will eventually switch to NVRAM. I have installed them in many of my games and enjoy not having to deal with batteries any longer. Just one old man's opinion... HAHA..

#16 9 years ago

I prefer to support Rob www.lockwhenlit.com for all my NVRAM and anypin NVRAM purchases.

It is a known quality product and Rob is a great guy that supports the pinball hobby in so many other ways. he runs the sort of business I prefer to give my money to, even when it costs a few extra bucks for that quality and service.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

If you put these in a WPC game does it still keep time? Also if you don't turn the game on for a few weeks will it lose its settings?

As mentioned above time just stops when the game is powered off, and resumes when powered on. Settings hold infinitely, I go weeks, months between plays on my games and all settings are right where I left them. I added an NVRAM to my TAF before I drove it up to MI for the restoration, for 4 months the board sat out of the game, when I returned to get the game, all settings and scores were just where I left them.
    Spec sheet link for the FM16W08-SG below which is in my CC by AnyPin, and the same chip as the Deniker ones listed here.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/100/FM16W08_001-86210_0E_V-476780.pdf

#18 9 years ago

which would I order on my 1990s Bally/Williams DMD pins. Thanks

#19 9 years ago

I emailed the seller and he confirmed that only the 5101 chip includes sockets.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I prefer to support Rob http://www.lockwhenlit.com for all my NVRAM and anypin NVRAM purchases.
    It is a known quality product and Rob is a great guy that supports the pinball hobby in so many other ways. he runs the sort of business I prefer to give my money to, even when it costs a few extra bucks for that quality and service.

Rob is a nice guy, but is cheapest option is twice the cost of this before shipping.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Rob is a nice guy, but is cheapest option is twice the cost of this before shipping.

understood, but I see added value in supporting someone like Rob.

#22 9 years ago

I'll support my local guy and give Rob a little extra.I have no problem with it.

#23 9 years ago

And I like to give other people entering this hobby/business a shot. If the new guys, or other guys, don't have support then we could be stuck in the status quo. New people, new ideas, new products. In this case, a cheaper solution.

#24 9 years ago

Thanks guys for the support.

I'll point out, with a car analogy, since I know people love those... Some people prefer Cadillac, BMW, Lamborghini, some prefer, Yugo, Geo, and Suzuki. Nothing wrong with any of them, they all get you from point A to point B, generally the more you spend the more you get. In my very biased opinion, anyPin NVRAM is the best there is, engineered well, built well, and has options that nothing else has. Sure it costs a bit more, but it's worth it.

With that said, I'll be making an announcement soon about something that's been in the works for awhile, that I think everyone will love.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#25 9 years ago

I have both the AnyPin and PinForge NVRAM makes, they both do just what they are supposed to do..

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

which would I order on my 1990s Bally/Williams DMD pins. Thanks

For anyPin? The Universal anyPin works in anything, that's the point. WPC games use a 6264 or 62256. anyPin set at 6264 works in them all, so the anyPin 6116/6264 will work as well as the Universal anyPin.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

For anyPin? The Universal anyPin works in anything, that's the point.

I'd think he's asking about the adapters at the Denikar website since that's the topic of this thread. In which case either the 6116 or 6264 adapter depending on what's currently on the board.

#28 9 years ago

Hi all, without derailing the thread entirely I have a question on NVRAM adapters on Firepower. If I've already modified the board to take the combo rom and the remote battery holder, does the installation of NVRAM (either rods or tims, both mentioned here) still work or need any further board mods?

Thanks

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Sure it costs a bit more, but it's worth it.

It costs a LOT more. I ordered 3x 6264 adapters from Denikar shipped up to Canada with exchange and everything the total came to $62.45. I just did a comparison on the exact same thing from anyPIN and the total is $147.55. Yikes! The shipping portion from Denikar up to Canada was an extra $4 while the shipping from anyPIN was $29.99.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from mtmellum:

Hi all, without derailing the thread entirely I have a question on NVRAM adapters on Firepower. If I've already modified the board to take the combo rom and the remote battery holder, does the installation of NVRAM (either rods or tims, both mentioned here) still work or need any further board mods?
    Thanks

No, install the NVRAM, done.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from mtmellum:

Thanks

The modifications you did with the combo rom and remote battery holder would not impact using nvram. You would however no longer need the remote battery holder (or batteries installed) if you install any type of nvram battery eliminator.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

It costs a LOT more. I ordered 3x 6264 adapters from Denikar shipped up to Canada with exchange and everything the total came to $62.45. I just did a comparison on the exact same thing from anyPIN and the total is $147.55. Yikes! The shipping portion from Denikar up to Canada was an extra $4 while the shipping from anyPIN was $29.99.

Again though, you're comparing Lamborghini to Yugo. You're using the Universal anyPin for the comparison, the only device in the world that can be configured with a simple DIP switch change to work in any pinball machine, to a simple conversation board to go from SMT to DIP technology.

A closer comparison would be the less expensive anyPin 6116/6264, but still that device is configurable too, and has twice the compatibility the Denikar device has. You'd need to buy the 6116 AND the 6264 Denikar devices to get the same compatibility and functionality of the single anyPin 6116/6264.

If you insist on comparing the Universal anyPin, then you're getting compatibility with three devices, and would need three of the Denikar devices to get the same functionality/compatibility.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Again though, you're comparing Lamborghini to Yugo. You're using the Universal anyPin for the comparison, the only device in the world that can be configured with a simple DIP switch change to work in any pinball machine, to a simple conversation board to go from SMT to DIP technology.
    A closer comparison would be the less expensive anyPin 6116/6264, but still that device is configurable too, and has twice the compatibility the Denikar device has. You'd need to buy the 6116 AND the 6264 Denikar devices to get the same compatibility and functionality of the single anyPin 6116/6264.
    If you insist on comparing the Universal anyPin, then you're getting compatibility with three devices, and would need three of the Denikar devices to get the same functionality/compatibility.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

You are incorrect, the comparison was done with the less expensive 6116/6264 version. If the comparison was done with the universal version the price is $184.45! Even using the 6116/6264 version it is more than twice the cost. Cost wise for me as a consumer I am better off financially buying two separate chips then buying one with twice the compatibility. The reality is these will be put in one machine and left anyway so the added compatibility is pointless for me as well.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Rob, you make a great product, but please drop the car analogy. It comes across as bashing your competitors product which is bad form in their thread.

Yes, your product is configurable for different machines, but most of us are buying these for specific machines. The ability to switch is moot. It is not a Lamborghini vs a Yugo comparison.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Rob, you make a great product, but please drop the car analogy. It comes across as bashing your competitors product which is bad form in their thread.
    Yes, your product is configurable for different machines, but most of us are buying these for specific machines. The ability to switch is moot. It is not a Lamborghini vs a Yugo comparison.

It appears that this thread was not started by a competitor? specifically says 'not mine'

I do not see it as Rob bashing anything. He is merely pointing out what anypin offers in comparison to others.

I actually buy anypin in bulk so I have them on hand and ready to drop into ANY new game I pick up. At the same time I buy them as the customer service is worth the extra/small added cost. Rob has always been extremely helpful and quick about answering questions about all of the products I have ever purchased form him. That alone is invaluable. Nothing better than working on a pin at odd times, shoot off an email, and many times have a response very quickly. The customer support is some of the best available.

#36 9 years ago

Paying less that $15 is great if you KNOW what game the Nvram is going into, or you KNOW what games you normally collect ("You know honey, I ONLY collect WPC...."). You sure don't want to pay more than double if you can plan ahead.

But it is very handy to have a couple of Anypin in your tool box for service calls or a surprise acquisition.

#37 9 years ago

I've been buying these from Tim @ www.denikar.com for the past year and you can't beat the price, great guy to deal with too.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

In the world of NVRAM, the Yugo has the same engine as a Lambo.

#39 9 years ago

Here is my analogy, nvram is a luxery. It is maybe for guys with to many machines to begin with they may be put in storage for some time and forgotten about

It is almosty my birthday which is when I change all batteries(note to self remember smoke detectors)

I buy in bulk packs the batteries are about .35 each 1.05 per year or 21.00 in twenty years

And seeing how there are other options replace the NiCad. batteries, memory caps. Lithium.
    Well for this luxery item that you will NEVER see return on you should really price shop

Are these newer posted prices good fair. Hell yes! it is about time.

Kind of like radio shack buy two 47 bulbs for 1.90 or a hundred for 5.00 from other place

Car analogy move me from point a to point b how much you spend is up to you

#40 9 years ago

I wish I'd bought more of the Simtek STK16C68 in when they were available. That was the best NVRAM solution for 8K chips (6264 replacement). Direct pin-compatible replacement, 100+ year life, and cost under $10 each, IIRC.

These adapter boards with FRAM are definitely a bargain at this price (I wouldn't sell them that cheap... unless Chinese kids were soldering them up for me ).
    If you'd like to save a few more bucks, and you don't mind something that will last *only* ~20 years, you can go with the ST M48Z58Y. Cost is under $10 each (as low as $8.80 in quantity, from a reputable distributor that gets them fresh from the manufacturer).

#41 9 years ago

I had trouble with the Simtek's on Sys11 boards. Ramtron DIPs, no problems.

YMMV

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

YMMV

I remember you mentioning this & confirming I also had issues with SIMTEK's. Yet I saw a few months ago that Marco was selling the SIMTEK ICs at one point & they posted a list of what needs to be done per manufacturer -- http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STK12C68 This of course threw me because I had no luck getting SIMTEK based boards working reliably in Data East machines even without pin 26 connected and the diode jumpered. I'd love to know if someone has actually gotten it to work reliably.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I remember you mentioning this & confirming I also had issues with SIMTEK's. Yet I saw a few months ago that Marco was selling the SIMTEK ICs at one point & they posted a list of what needs to be done per manufacturer -- http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STK12C68 This of course threw me because I had no luck getting SIMTEK based boards working reliably in Data East machines even without pin 26 connected and the diode jumpered. I'd love to know if someone has actually gotten it to work reliably.

I have been experimenting with 12C68's too and experienced also problems at Data East MPU's. At WMS sys11's and other boards I personally never had problems with Simtek NVRAM's. I use them in "autostore mode" which need a 2 capacitors and a resistor as I didn't want to rely on old power supplies....

I found out a solution to make Simtek 12C68's work at Data East Boards. The problems are caused by the transistor in the /CS line. Remove this transistor and belonging resistors. Invert the /CS signal with an unused port at the 7404 (6F) nearby. Combine this inverted signal with the /reset signal (which drived the base of the removed transistor) at an unused NAND gate at the 74LS00 nearby (7E). Connect the output of this NAND gate to the /CS at the 12C68 NVRAM. Remove the Pull up resistor there as well. It only takes 4 pieces of wire and no trace cutting. I wrote a PDF document about this mod with some pictures, send me a PM if you are interested. Some newer SRAM devices suffer from the same problem at Data East MPU's; I remember a topic at pinside from someone who ran into problems after ordering 6264 equivalents from GPE.

I like the Denikar NVRAM adapters by the way.

Marco

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

YMMV

I had one in a Grand Lizard for several years. Never a problem.
    With the Simtek (Cypress now), it's best to use one from "AutoStorePlus" line (like the 16c68), which have the built-in cap so that the autostore on power-down never fails. The other versions may be sensitive to power supply issues.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

YMMV

That sounds like some good information to put on Pinwiki.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

I have been experimenting with 12C68's too and experienced also problems at Data East MPU's. At WMS sys11's and other boards I personally never had problems with Simtek NVRAM's. I use them in "autostore mode" which need a 2 capacitors and a resistor as I didn't want to rely on old power supplies....

Thanks MarAlb!!! That helps confirm an issue specific to Data East boards like I had thought might be happening. You just saved me a ton of time!!! I had thought I'd get back to that whole fiasco of a project at some point, but knowing it's an issue with the circuit on those boards helps tremendously.

I really wasn't having a lot of faith in SIMTEK because I had never seen it work in all the adapters I was trying to build. I invested $850 in ~125x SIMTEK STK12C68-SF45's back in 2012 that basically became unusable to me because despite hooking it up per data sheets with pin26 disconnected and the auto-store caps in place... it wasn't working properly in Data East machines. Knowing the issue, I'd feel more comfortable using it in a product as long as it's not going in Data East machines I had no issues with adapters built for classic Bally/Stern/Gottlieb/Williams at all. Don't think I ever tried a System 11 since I figured the circuitry was so close to Data East.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Thanks MarAlb!!! That helps confirm an issue specific to Data East boards like I had thought might be happening. You just saved me a ton of time!!! I had thought I'd get back to that whole fiasco of a project at some point, but knowing it's an issue with the circuit on those boards helps tremendously.
    I really wasn't having a lot of faith in SIMTEK because I had never seen it work in all the adapters I was trying to build. I invested $850 in ~125x SIMTEK STK12C68-SF45's back in 2012 that basically became unusable to me because despite hooking it up per data sheets with pin26 disconnected and the auto-store caps in place... it wasn't working properly in Data East machines. Knowing the issue, I'd feel more comfortable using it in a product as long as it's not going in Data East machines I had no issues with adapters built for classic Bally/Stern/Gottlieb/Williams at all. Don't think I ever tried a System 11 since I figured the circuitry was so close to Data East.

You're welcome....I wish it works out for you. Technicians should help and learn from eachother and not compete who is the best or who makes the best products and bla bla. It seems it is hard for some people to accept others also have certain capabilities.....

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I agree. I am not buying NVRAM in bulk and I do not need a universal adapter. I want to install the most cost effective item, and it doesn't matter if it is universal. As long as it does it's job. It's not like I am taking the ram with me when I sell the machine.

#49 9 years ago

Does anyone know if the 5101 is already socketed on a system 80B board? I can't get to my machine right now.

Thanks

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-adapters-16-free-shipping-not-mine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.