6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0733CC6B-6011-4586-85FE-80A5B3882C25 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Hello,

Quick question. When doing NV ram on a system 11 game. Do you just replace U25 with the NVram and just unsolder the battery holder from the board? Want to make sure I'm not missing a step.

#2 6 years ago

You'd have to remove the soldered-on RAM at U25 and install an IC socket, unless someone has already done that. After that as long as you're replacing with the same type of nvram module (should be a 6116) there's nothing else needed. If replacing a 6116 with a 6264 chip (on later boards that allow for 28-pin chips) you'd have an additional jumper change. Battery holder can stay or leave, if the battery terminals have corrosion it's best to get it off of the board if you're working on the board anyway.

#3 6 years ago

i thought there was a jumper i changed too...

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

i thought there was a jumper i changed too...

Only if upgrading to a 6264. I believe all Williams Sys11 came with 6116 RAM installed from the factory, so if you're replacing that with a 6116 NVRAM no jumper changes are needed. The only time a jumper change needs to happen is if switching to a different type of RAM than what's currently installed in the board.

#5 6 years ago

So just to be clear, remove u25, replace with nvram chip, plug game in and thats it? Nothing else I need to do?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Robl45:

So just to be clear, remove u25, replace with nvram chip, plug game in and thats it? Nothing else I need to do?

Once the NVRAM is installed and working you can then reset to factory defaults (see the manual). Then it's a matter of setting free play, high score levels & other adjustments as you wish. As far as any other hardware changes, as long as you're replacing "like-with-like" (ie. 6116 RAM comes out, 6116 NVRAM goes in) then there's nothing else needed there.

#7 6 years ago

Also the traces are very very delicate on system 11 boards and the boards are unavailable and can't be replaced so unless your very good at board work I wouldn't attempt it.

#8 6 years ago

My U25 says the RAM is a 5516.

0733CC6B-6011-4586-85FE-80A5B3882C25 (resized).jpeg0733CC6B-6011-4586-85FE-80A5B3882C25 (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from BlueBlood:

My U25 says the RAM is a 5516

TC5516 is Toshibas part number for a 6116.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nv-ram-system-11?hl=robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.