Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by beelzeboob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00438.jpg
    DSC00437.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

First - glad to see o-din back!

Potentially list in the recent where's o-din thread is a humorous comment by o-din about what seems to be a common practice for many.

"Yes I'll admit I repeatedly broke the number one unwritten rule of pinside-

"Don't make any contrary observations of any pinball machine unless you are currently invested in it even if you have owned one before, are considering owning one in the future, or have backed out of a pre-order for one, and keep your mouth shut if you have no dog in the race"

Why is this "rule" so prevalent here? Is it as simple as people want to see $6-$7-$8k pinball purchases through rose colored-glasses and that any question/issue/opinion that might disrupt the "everything is perfect" view is disruptive?

We see this in almost every thread regardless of game or manufacturer (except Spooky). In some threads those that become lightning rods end up being justified/correct long after the fact (especially when things have not ended well - see Kevin and JPop threads for example), yet the knee jerk initial reaction to any "not going with the flow" comments seems to be "Troll".

Why is this indeed the number one unwritten rule of Pinside?

More importantly- how can we get rid of this "rule" and open up unfettered, non-defensive discussion of games/opinions/issues again?

#2 8 years ago

Do we really need all this drama on a pinball website? That is exactly what some mean to create. I don't know man just seems silly to me. Some want to start drama and post in a fasion to do so. To me it's a pinballs website not vanity fair let's treat it as such..

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

More importantly- how can we get rid of this "rule" and open up unfettered, non-defensive discussion of games/opinions/issues again?

tone

#4 8 years ago

Troll by definition - One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. So yes, not going with the flow could be seen as trolling. So not to be accused of trolling, make sure this bit is not true - intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. There is plenty of this in our forums.

#5 8 years ago

Sure JFH, just try posting on RGP. You think Pinside has an agenda, wait til you deal with the open sourceness over there. Un-moderated 'Freedom of speech' works...until it doesn't.

Anyone can post just about anything on Pinside they want, as long as it's not openly offensive. As long as Robin and the mod squad here continues to try to improve, it'll work. I've gotten plenty of warnings, some seemed unfair, but I'd rather deal with this all day long than any alternative available.

#6 8 years ago

The value some people put on their opinions is hilarious.

#7 8 years ago

This should be the unwritten rule of pinside.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Rules are overrated.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

This should be the unwritten rule of pinside.....

image.jpg

Nice!

Rufus would approve!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Humans generalize (and I'll do that here as well). Some of the most negative people here are doing it in hopes of seeing failure. They constantly bash trying to get the result they want. They bait and work towards irritating people that do have skin in the game, berating them until the point of frustration. That is their agenda, and a common factor of it is no skin in the game. Therefore it gets pointed out. And it is that simple.

If it actually was just pointing out faults as you seem to claim, it would be fine. But it always goes well beyond that.

And it isn't unwritten. Go read the rules of Pinside. It is the number one rule, and that is the one that is getting violated all the time. The harping, bashing and baiting are the issue, not the fact that someone doesn't own or ever plan to own a certain game. It's because they are being dicks.

#11 8 years ago

The bottom line is you should get a life outside of pinball if you don't already have one. Hell it's a game and a hobby and nothing more. I like what I like and the next guy likes something else. That's his business and not mine. I just enjoy the hobby and don't worry about all the drama on here. I certainly don't get on here as much as before because I don't care for the negativity.

#12 8 years ago

When I'm on here it's usually to look for discussion and to seek out opinions differing from mine to learn more about a game or style of play. That being said, I try to be careful what I post and the wording that I use because someone else may interpret it differently than I intended. I'm sure I've failed sometimes at being humorous but I hope others would overlook that first time and maybe even the second time.

I haven't met many on here who just post to stir the pot and rile everyone up. The only example that comes to mind was in the o-din thread and I let the guy go for four or five posts hoping he would quit or leave and then the mods did what was right. I was pleased with the way that went and I hope it works that well in the future.

#13 8 years ago

For as long as Ive been in the hobby it has been filled with oneupmanship.

Somebody is always trying to be the coolest because they got a game or whatever cheaper/earlier or something.Or they have info nobody else has.(but can't say)

It seems to be amplified by the keyboard and display,rather than the face to face encounter.

I have differences of opinion with my local pinhead friends/people and it never turns into some of the bashing I see on here,or worse what was going on on RGP.People generally don't act that way in public or they would be in fights/confrontations all the time.

This is a public forum,act accordingly.

There should be no rules other than common courtesy and respect for ALL opinions.Whether you agree or not.

#14 8 years ago

Sometimes its not what you say its how you say it. eg

1) I think paying X amount may be too much for Y machine.

Vs

2) You are an idiot for paying X for that piece of sh*t Y machine.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

"Don't make any contrary observations of any pinball machine unless you are currently invested in it even if you have owned one before, are considering owning one in the future, or have backed out of a pre-order for one, and keep your mouth shut if you have no dog in the race"

Sorry but this rule is for pussies and misses the real point. Making a *valid* contrary opinion should always be allowed and accepted in a fair debate in any public forum including this one. The problem comes when people make statements that are not valid or are intellectually dishonest and do not back down from them. To put it in simple terms, here is my re-write of the #1 rule. I think it pretty much sums up the recent situation too:

"Don't act like a dickhead."

The more a person posts, I think the easier it is to fall into this trap because they often don't stop to filter or think about what they say. They also have more vested in their "opinions" because of the perception that the more someone posts, the more they must know. This is what is so awesome about LTG. I have read his posts for 15 years and though I don't always agree with him, I can't remember a single time in the thousands of posts he was a dickhead or intellectually dishonest. Personally I have been a dickhead in the past from time to time. At least I try to recognize when it happens and not do it again! It is ok to admit you are wrong once in a while and back down.

#16 8 years ago

Big difference in posting a contradictory opinion versus an all troll mission constantly bashing!

#17 8 years ago

Can we all be done with posting that you are draining a thread or putting someone on ignore. Seems quite douchey to me......

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Can we all be done with posting that you are draining a thread or putting someone on ignore. Seems quite douchey to me......

I'm putting you on ignore, then draining this thread.

I just don't see why anybody would waste time giving a negative opinion of a machine they have no vested interest in, nor interest in, period.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Big difference in posting a contradictory opinion versus an all troll mission constantly bashing!

No it's mostly if the person agrees with me it's ok, if the person disagrees he's a troll regardless off the truth.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm putting you on ignore, then draining this thread.
    I just don't see why anybody would waste time giving a negative opinion of a machine they have no vested interest in, nor interest in, period.

The fact they don't own it does not mean they have no experience with it. Or the fact they don't have unicorn vomit lighting on their games does not make their opinion invalid when someone post a pic of their game for people to comment on.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

The fact they don't own it does not mean they have no experience with it. Or the fact they don't have unicorn vomit lighting on their games does not make their opinion invalid when someone post a pic of their game for people to comment on.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people shitting on people who are excited about a game they've ordered or pre-ordered. Quite a few miserable f**ks around here.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

So not to be accused of trolling, make sure this bit is not true - intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

This is a great point. My concern is that few seem to understand the difference between "discussion" and "argument" and many automatically assume that any point or comment contrary to their own must be "argument".

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people shitting on people who are excited about a game they've ordered or pre-ordered. Quite a few miserable f**ks around here.

Right they disagree with you so you define that as "shitting all over it" maybe they disagree just as strongly as you agree. Maybe they just think you are white knighting. It's all about perspective.
    Supposedly this is a discussion forum.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

Right they disagree with you so you define that as "shitting all over it" maybe they disagree just as strongly as you agree. Maybe they just think you are white knighting. It's all about perspective.
    Supposedly this is a discussion forum.

Wrong. Man, you are a ray of sunshine...

People disagree with me all the time. They just don't have to be a douchebag about it. Maybe you can't see the difference?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people shitting on people who are excited about a game they've ordered or pre-ordered.

You're right - Shitting on people who are excited about a game they've ordered is making it personal, which has no place on Pinside (or anywhere else). But commenting on a game or issue should not be taken as a personal attack, as is often the case. And saying "don't post anything I might see as negative because I'm excited about the game" is an unrealistic and unreasonable stance.

Everyone should be able to post their opinions about any game/issue, whether they have a vested interest in it or not. But not couched as a personal attack, implying that anyone with a contrary opinion is wrong/bad/a troll.

There is a double standard when it comes to games - those who were in on a game and then got out seem to be treated far more harshly then those that were out (not in) and got in because the former is seen as "negative" behavior and the latter "positive" when they are in reality the same thing - a change of opinion or circumstance.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wrong. Man, you are a ray of sunshine...
    People disagree with me all the time. They just don't have to be a douchebag about it. Maybe you can't see the difference?

See it's prospective, I am a fun happy person, but I'm disagreeing with you and you think I'm just bringing things down. You strongly feel one way,I don't. Therefore you now want to call me a sarcastic "Ray of sunshine". You've gone and made it personal, sort of the exact troll tactics you seem to be against. But from your viewpoint you didn't do that. nothing I've said is attacking or aimed at anyone in particular. It's been pretty even headed and said it depends on the viewpoint of the reader.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Or they have info nobody else has.(but can't say)

Probably my biggest gripe on Pinside.

If you can't say what you know, don't say that you know it!

#28 8 years ago

I wonder if this issue first came from the jpop thread. I was reading some new posts in the jpop thread and decided to look back at the beginning of the thread. Everyone was excited for the game, posting pics of art, saying they just bought the preorder. Then about 5, 6 pages in there were a couple of people starting to question the progress of the games and others were telling them to go back to their sterns "they're waiting for genius. I wonder if the defensiveness started there and has carried over to today, even though really it's not needed.

On a side note, that thread is a sad but fascinating read. Amazing to see people's reactions in real time. The advantages of today.

#29 8 years ago

beelezeboob you are spot on 100% right. I am entitled to call someone fat and ugly. Yes its my opinion and my right to do so. Is it right to do so? Absolutely not. Its exactly the same as shitting on someone's new purchase that they are excited and proud of. You can do it yes but comes across as "miserable f**ks". I think if we post as if we are speaking face to face with someone, the posts would be toned down a bit.

#30 8 years ago

Oops

#31 8 years ago

The number one unwritten rule of Pinside is obviously don't talk about the number one unwritten rule of Pinside.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

See it's prospective, I am a fun happy person, but I'm disagreeing with you and you think I'm just bringing things down. You strongly feel one way,I don't. Therefore you now want to call me a sarcastic "Ray of sunshine". nothing I've said is attacking or aimed at anyone in particular. It's been pretty even headed and said it depends on the viewpoint of the reader.

I upvoted this post, because it was written in a different tone than a lot of your other posts are. Those come across in a really negative tone, and that's what I'm talking about. You'll notice I never even downvoted any of your other posts because I respect your opinion.

It's all good, brother. We'll agree to disagree. But just remember: Everybody is entitled to my opinion.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

beelezeboob you are spot on 100% right. I am entitled to call someone fat and ugly. Yes its my opinion and my right to do so. Is it right to do so? Absolutely not.

I sort of agree with this but in a slightly different version. entitled too, absolutely. Right to do so, yes. Is it polite or nice to, absolutely not.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Everybody is entitled to my opinion.

Exactly, that's the point.

#35 8 years ago

Good morning, I think that it's sad that this pinside forums seem to have people that go to threads to be negative. That's not very helpful or nice. I think that it's odd that this is set up for kids. I always thought this was an adult forum.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

Exactly, that's the point.

Okay. So you don't have a sense of humor. You must have missed the laughing emoticon. Now I get it.

#37 8 years ago

I thought the number one unwritten rule of Pinside was not to bring up politics.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Good morning, I think that it's sad that this pinside forums seem to have people that go to threads to be negative. That's not very helpful or nice. I think that it's odd that this is set up for kids. I always thought this was an adult forum.

what you might consider negative,someone else see as positive ..if I point out for example kevin k had no factory or clear manufacturing plan some people call me a hater or I did not have skin in the game..other people might think about and question their decision to purchase a game after this helpful info

#39 8 years ago

Users of this site are some of the biggest one-uppers on the web. They try so desperately to prove their position in the pinball hierarchy that it becomes an obsession. They try so hard to prove they know things about pinball that you don't that it becomes the foundation of their online identity. So, when these people encounter a point to which they have no counterpoint, they lash out. So rather than admitting that it was stupid of them to spend 6.5k on a machine that they'd never played from a company that has never manufactured a single machine, they overcompensate by viciously calling people who point out such obvious truths as "trolls". And they put up a wall telling people they shouldn't be allowed to express their opinion unless they made the same poor decision as them.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

Users of this site are some of the biggest one-uppers on the web. They try so desperately to prove their position in the pinball hierarchy that it becomes an obsession. They try so hard to prove they know things about pinball that you don't that it becomes the foundation of their online identity. So, when these people encounter a point to which they have no counterpoint, they lash out. So rather than admitting that it was stupid of them to spend 6.5k on a machine that they'd never played from a company that has never manufactured a single machine, they overcompensate by viciously calling people who point out such obvious truths as "trolls". And they put up a wall telling people they shouldn't be allowed to express their opinion unless they made the same poor decision as them.

I wholeheartedly admit to being an idiot. So I'm good.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I thought the number one unwritten rule of Pinside was not to bring up politics.

Nope! This is a written rule.

#42 8 years ago

This thread is an unnecessary exercise in futility.

#43 8 years ago

I think all view points are informative when I'm making a decession. I have purchased 2 of the biggest negative and positive games. I find it all helpful to hear the good and bad. My post was more about being on a fun thread and someone was being negative . They should not post in my opinion and then act like the police, and get someone kicked off for pictures. I guess there's a lot of kids on this site who are getting 9k games with there chore money. My mistake. I was just trying something new, besides just reading. Maybe I need the secret hand shake to get into the club.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I think all view points are informative when I'm making a decession. I have purchased 2 of the biggest negative and positive games. I find it all helpful to hear the good and bad. My post was more about being on a fun thread and someone was being negative . They should not post in my opinion and then act like the police, and get someone kicked off for pictures. I guess there's a lot of kids on this site who are getting 9k games with there chore money. My mistake. I was just trying something new, besides just reading. Maybe I need the secret hand shake to get into the club.

no handshake needed..just a turtle card.lolDSC00437.JPGDSC00437.JPGDSC00438.JPGDSC00438.JPG

#45 8 years ago

Thank you for the answer sheet open book tests are the best!

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

no handshake needed..just a turtle card.lolDSC00437.JPG DSC00438.JPG

I thought for a second that was Kaneda's club.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/number-one-unwritten-rule-of-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.