(Topic ID: 148516)

Number of Stern Releases since Hobbit Announcement

By Sidekick74

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

All,

Just curious to know how many pinball machines have been developed and released since The Hobbit was announced. It seems like Stern not only announces games to public on Day 1 but are in a good position with their vendors to begin production.

Stern announcing and shipping Game of Thrones last fall along with the Spiderman announcement yesterday, its very impressive.

Please be gentle on this thread.

TJ

#2 8 years ago

Not sure but I did find it amazing SMVE gave 200+ guys their period yesterday.

#3 8 years ago

That wasn't very gentle.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sidekick74:

That wasn't very gentle.

That's my gentle though

#5 8 years ago

Did some digging around: Nov 30th 2012 Hobbit announced (from PGJ site)

Stern (in house) has released:
    Avengers
    Metallica
    Star Trek
    Mustang
    The Walking Dead
    Wrestlemania
    Kiss
    GoT
    IM & SM Vault

Which makes eight, or ten if you include the two re-runs. If you include all different models (pro, prem & LE) then it would be a crazy number

#6 8 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=303&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Chronological listing of all the Stern releases.

Quoted from Sidekick74:

Please be gentle on this thread.

Why? Did you think people would consider it trolling? It came as a shock to me that Stern has released games since Hobbit was announced. I had no idea

#7 8 years ago

Let's include Woz go back to 2012 there's another half dozen I'm sure.

14 ratio ?

But I'll count TH if that gets released soon so 7

#8 8 years ago

Don't forget Tron if i'm not mistaken they release 2 waves in that period, the Clu and Chicks

#9 8 years ago

What about WNBJM?

#10 8 years ago

He said pinball machines.

#11 8 years ago

Remember quality over quantity though. That said, IMO only about half of those sterns are really good to great, and woz is phenomenal. Again, my opinion only. I'm sure hobbit will be similar in quality. Not knocking stern, as I love most their games, and always wait for the next announcement. If considering only the best, its really closer to a 3-1 or 5-1 difference, which isn't bad for a new start up company.

#12 8 years ago

On the other hand, you can buy 2-1 stern pro's to a jjp game. Lol

#13 8 years ago

I really like WOZ. I don't see how JJP can stay in business like this, but I'm not an expert. I hope they can make it work. Hobbit seems to be a great game.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

or a SMVE and steak dinner for two.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Hobbit seems to be a great game.

WE shall see...I haven't got that feeling personally.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I liked this rationalization more when it was 2 and not like 1.6.

#17 8 years ago

The problem is trend is moving way too fast these days. When they announced The Hobbit I just saw the first one and was really into the theme for the next 2 upcoming movies.

Now Hobbits little people are not trending at all, Tyrion Lannister makes sure of that lol

#18 8 years ago

You cannot take that much time between revealing a theme and then releasing it

#19 8 years ago

How many of those Sterns were in development before Hobbit was announced tho? The real question would be, how many have been started from scratch since Hobbit was announced?

#20 8 years ago

Bottom line is that JJP still does not constitute legitimate competition to Stern. JJP has release one pin in its 5 years of existence. Hobbit looks to be a great pin, and yes JJP did take some money out of Stern's pockets by getting people to prepay for it and WOZ years in advance, but it's still a relatively small amount compared to the 14 pins that Stern has sold since JJP came into existence.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I really like WOZ. I don't see how JJP can stay in business like this, but I'm not an expert. I hope they can make it work. Hobbit seems to be a great game.

That's correct because most games are bought on theme and title and not on what is on the playfield. When I had my retail business I would say title was 80% of the sale. So how do you make it in this market?. You sell; move games with different titles to meet the wants of many , so individuals have choices. Its not the game. it really is the number of titles and this is why Stern will be in business and knows how to make it through tough times. Like any other mature business; cycle time will win everytime. You cannot sit on inventory and you cannot move parts and material around. It has to go in and ship out. Quickly.

#22 8 years ago

Add MMR to the stern list

#23 8 years ago

Number of JJP Trolls since Hobbit Announcement

#24 8 years ago

I really do hope jjp grows and has staying power. It's good for the hobby and all of us if there is competition for stern. I agree, that at this point jjp isn't out of infancy stage, and they need to adjust the speed of getting games from design to shipped. Honestly, I can go without all the other smaller start ups, but definitely want stern and jjp to grow.

#25 8 years ago

I'd love to see JJP just announce,produce, and ship even one pin a year...that would be an improvement...

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'd love to see JJP just announce,produce, and ship even one pin a year...that would be an improvement...

With 1500(?) THLEs + 500(?) THSEs already sold + 2000 (?) potential THs, it is going to take a long time to deliver these in a timely manner if JJP only ships one pin a year.

#27 8 years ago

Are we including the re-releases here?

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

If JJP were to take the "stern approach" to pinball....(stripped down games, simple code, install a few "off the shelf" playfield toys...I'm sure they can produce/sell 1 game/year.

I'm glad Jack has decided to provide us games with "all the bells and whistles".

My only concern is...how long will they be able survive w/ having the ability to to make 1 pin every 3 years? IMO, JJP should come out w/ a few simpler titles to help them get through this "infancy stage" of producing pins.

I really like my WOZ...JJP did a great job on this pin. Not a big fan of The Hobbit, but I've never seen on in person. Can't wait to see Lawlor's pin.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Expletive:

Bottom line is that JJP still does not constitute legitimate competition to Stern

or anybody if they don't release anything else...at this point, Spooky, Heighway etc have as many titles completed as JJP. When it gets to the point where your ability to deliver a game is ridiculed regularly it's not a good sign.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

If JJP were to take the "stern approach" to pinball....(stripped down games, simple code, install a few "off the shelf" playfield toys...I'm sure they can produce/sell 1 game/year.
    I'm glad Jack has decided to provide us games with "all the bells and whistles".
    My only concern is...how long will they be able survive w/ having the ability to to make 1 pin every 3 years? IMO, JJP should come out w/ a few simpler titles to help them get through this "infancy stage" of producing pins.
    I really like my WOZ...JJP did a great job on this pin. Not a big fan of The Hobbit, but I've never seen on in person. Can't wait to see Lawlor's pin.

Bottom line is he better hurry his arse up not matter what he releases as you have said because cash flow is king and it does not matter what they say on the internet. Benji's must flow.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Bottom line is he better hurry his arse up not matter what he releases as you have said because cash flow is king and it does not matter what they say on the internet. Benji's must flow.

There is cash flow Tinman, he'll just start taking deposits for PIN #3 that won't hit the production line for several years from now. Pre buyers are his cash flow.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

PIN #3 that won't hit the production line for several years from now.

Well you really got that one wrong.

LTG : )

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well you really got that one wrong.

LTG I hope you are right.
    But based off their current track record, I beg to differ. Let's see them prove me wrong.

#34 8 years ago

Let's see them prove me wrong.

That's fair.

#35 8 years ago

There is cash flow Tinman, he'll just start taking deposits for PIN #3 that won't hit the production line for several years from now. Pre buyers are his cash flow.

Oh yea. Flowing in. Yes there is cash flow I am mistaken.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

Add MMR to the stern list

Can't forget Whoa Nellie

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Expletive:

Bottom line is that JJP still does not constitute legitimate competition to Stern. JJP has release one pin in its 5 years of existence. Hobbit looks to be a great pin, and yes JJP did take some money out of Stern's pockets by getting people to prepay for it and WOZ years in advance, but it's still a relatively small amount compared to the 14 pins that Stern has sold since JJP came into existence.

Small amount? I read that 2,500 WOZ's have been sold (not confirmed) to date. Let's say TH does the same. At an average price of $7500 that is over $37 million. That is not a small amount and I'm sure Stern and other manufactures would have wanted those pinball dollars.

JJP does need to get TH out soon. More time has now past for TH to be released compared JJP being announced as a company and the first WOZ's shipping. This is very surprising considering that the "WOZ time" includes time to develop the JJP platform, getting a factory line ready / setup, and other tasks that a companies first product would require.

Based on info from PinballNews.com

JJP announced on 1/2/11, games start shipping May 2013 - 850 days

Hobbit announced on 12/30/15 - today 1/8/16 - 1,104 days

For fun, "Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey" - "Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies" (U.S release dates) - 733 days to release 3 fairly long and time consuming movies.

#39 8 years ago

Good point, and your dates were kind to JJP.

WOZ ship date was 4/29/2013 per JJP newsletter.
    The Hobbit was available to the public for pre-order 12/4/2012. It was available for WOZ buyers for 1-2 weeks before that as well - maybe someone else can confirm exact.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Small amount? I read that 2,500 WOZ's have been sold (not confirmed) to date. Let's say TH does the same. At an average price of $7500 that is over $37 million. That is not a small amount and I'm sure Stern and other manufactures would have wanted those pinball dollars.
    JJP does need to get TH out soon. More time has now past for TH to be released compared JJP being announced as a company and the first WOZ's shipping. This is very surprising considering that the "WOZ time" includes time to develop the JJP platform, getting a factory line ready / setup, and other tasks that a companies first product would require.
    Based on info from PinballNews.com
    JJP announced on 1/2/11, games start shipping May 2013 - 850 days
    Hobbit announced on 12/30/15 - today 1/8/16 - 1,104 days
    For fun, "Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey" - "Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies" (U.S release dates) - 733 days to release 3 fairly long and time consuming movies.

#40 8 years ago

JJP service is not all that. My woz is a lemon .Stern is the leader and #1 pinball company in the world!!!!

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hobbit announced on 11/30/12* - today 1/8/16 - 1,104 days <corrected the date>

I corrected the date, according to Pinball news the announcement was 11/30/2012 which is 1134 days ago and presumably the ideas (layout and what not have been planned before the announcement).

This is puzzling and concerning in that (some) people think the "delay" on TH was not so much an issue of design, art etc.. but rather that JJP ran out of money a-la Jpop. And the change of art etc,, was not so much because they needed it to be better but rather that noodling around make-work looks better then doing nothing and not delivering (another Jpop specialty).

TH is pretty, but if it can't be delivered what's the point?.

I guess we'll see how much money JJP has to deliver these pins or if another round of pre-sales for the third pin will be necessary in order to build and ship TH, beginning to remind me of Social Security in a few ways, as a thousand plus days passes, we're all getting older and closer to death, also people who are paying SS now are paying the benifits to the people who are receiving their benefits now in other words a Ponzi scheme of sorts.

2 weeks later
    #42 8 years ago

I've got to think JJP is killing themselves with their delays. Surely more than a few people have capitulated by now. Not to mention JJP dealers famously sold people Woz games who walked in off the street before shipping to people who ordered years in advance. I'm not saying that those dealers didn't also order years in advance, but the fact remains that at some time (likely) you can walk in off the street and buy a Hobbit before people who paid 2-3 years ago.

The excitement has turned to apathy for some. I'll bet there is more excitement at the moment for GB and that pin has not even been announced and likely in 4-5 months (est.) there will be 2000 owners of GB while maybe what 200 people will own TH.

If GB ships before TH that would make 11 titles from Stern since the announcement of TH.

I don't doubt that TH will ship in the next 30-90 days but at what rate? Will they ship 2000 by 2017 (I'm not optimistic).

Will RZ beet TH to market?

#43 8 years ago

It has to be money issues once again. I guess the investors money is spent now as well. No vendors take this long to produce product. I can't see why the game isn't being made yet. If all the parts are there, then why no production? All we have seen is images from far away of cabinets being assembled. I remember when the rescue WOZ's were made, there was a close up shot of the apron insert to show they were resuce edition. I am sorry to speculate but when no real updates are made, thats just what people will be forced to do.

#44 8 years ago

As a Woz owner and former Nov 2012 deposit on THLE.. I just don't see how JJP survives this at this rate... if they slow drip out games for over 6 months, whatever new capital they received is going to be burnt up, not including all the fixed/laber costs to finally crank these games out.. I just don't see them surviving unless game #3 is announced and is available almost immediately... Does anybody really believe that will happen this year?

#45 8 years ago

The only hope is next of kin in the will can sue and get the money back. At this rate ...POOF!!!

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

As a Woz owner and former Nov 2012 deposit on THLE.. I just don't see how JJP survives this at this rate... if they slow drip out games for over 6 months, whatever new capital they received is going to be burnt up, not including all the fixed/laber costs to finally crank these games out.. I just don't see them surviving unless game #3 is announced and is available almost immediately... Does anybody really believe that will happen this year?

I don't think #3 ships this year, but who knows? However if third game is better than TH won't that lessen the sales of TH? So IMO they'd better build a lot of TH and ship them before they announce the next game.

#47 8 years ago

No way in hell #3 ships this year. No way in hell.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Expletive:

They took some money out of Stern's pockets but put more back in thanks to a new acceptable price point for pins.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from BillPinball:

They took some money out of Stern's pockets but put more back in thanks to a new acceptable price point for pins.

Stern has sold every pin they have ever made. How did Stern lose money due to JJp?

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Will RZ beet TH to market?

Charlie says the goal is to get some RZ's out in February. I have to believe that March would be the latest for them to start shipping

I hope TH does come out sooner than later.

did "The Pin" get made in that same timeframe?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.