“How many balls for a WOZ on location should I set?”

• 3 Balls 6 votes
    55%
  • 5 Balls 5 votes
    45%

(11 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

Hi,

Just looking to get your thoughts on how many balls per game I should set on a WOZ on location. For background. Going rate here for a 90s pin is $1 a game 3 ball. For Sterns usually $2 for 3 ball though there is a local Metallica with 5 balls for $2.

I am going to charge $2 a game but I am torn about the # of balls. What are your thoughts on 3 or 5 balls per game? Please answer in the poll and if anyone has experince here I would be quite keen to hear from you! I am going to put a stern in next so should probably be consistent with what I do here as to the # of balls. I am leaning towards 3 but am worried the price may get people. At this location we have only had 90s pins at a dollar a game but there is a lot of interest in newer games there.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I'd stick to the norm, 3 ball.

Maybe give an extra game for more money - like $8 gives you 5 games.

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

Not an op... but as a player I'd suggest 3 balls... but add a 5 to 7 second ball saver (instead of the default of no ball saver). When you play a 3 ball game and insta-drain 1 or 2 of those balls it really makes you want to play something else... versus leaving you with the "play one more" feeling from a game where all 3 balls let me have at least some time with them...

Regarding pricing $2 a game or $5 for 3 games ($1.67/game) or $8 for 5 games ($1.6) all seem good. Again from a player perspect I'd lean towards the 3 games for $5...

#4 8 years ago

WOZ tends to attract newer players and ball times are super quick. I don't think 5 ball would hurt if you are trying to add more perceived value!

#5 8 years ago

I have seen the 3 ball set up at Jenkinsons in NJ really turn off new players.

I would opt for 5.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Not an op... but as a player I'd suggest 3 balls... but add a 5 to 7 second ball saver (instead of the default of no ball saver). When you play a 3 ball game and insta-drain 1 or 2 of those balls it really makes you want to play something else... versus leaving you with the "play one more" feeling from a game where all 3 balls let me have at least some time with them...
Regarding pricing $2 a game or $5 for 3 games ($1.67/game) or $8 for 5 games ($1.6) all seem good. Again from a player perspect I'd lean towards the 3 games for $5...

Agree 100%.

WOZ can be a bit tough the first game or two, but it is beautiful and captivating enough that people will continue dropping $$$ into it as long as a modicum of hope that they are improving and getting somewhere in the game can be sustained.

I think pricing on the higher end is appropriate. It's an expensive game to buy, and even in attract mode distinguishes itself against just about anything else, not to mention all the cool in-game stuff - no problem objectively justifying a premium price to play.

#7 8 years ago

WOZ is a tough game and I would bet that the percentage of players at any location that can really play for a long time if set to 5 ball is pretty low. I don't know how good or bad of a player I am but I have had machines in my home for over 20 years. It is rare that I really get anywhere on WOZ in 3 balls

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I was leaning to 3 balls going into this and am feeling a bit more solid there now. I like the ball save idea and will definitely do that. I was thinking 4 games for $6 but maybe 5 for $8 could be good. That way a group may be tempted to do a second round of games.

There are some reasonably good people that play there but also kids so it is hard to balance between the two groups. A longer ball saver time may be a simple way to address that and give the newer people more of a chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/number-of-balls-for-woz-on-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.